Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:08 AM

9 posts, read 28,332 times

Advertisements

Hi All - I'm originally from Long Island and have been living and working in NYC for the past 7 years and loving every minute of it. My boyfriend lives (Stamford) and works (Westport) in Connecticut. Once we get engaged later this year, we plan to move somewhere in between NYC and Westport. We will probably rent for a year or two as we save up to buy down the road (not necessarily in the same town where we're going to rent).

So far it looks like Westchester and specifically White Plains is our best bet. We went to see the City Center apartments this past weekend and thought there were okay but we weren't crazy with what you get for your money (and we didn't exactly love the locale - right across the street from a giant Walmart and strip mall).

Does anyone know of any other good rental bldgs in Westchester for us to look at? What's appealing about White Plains to me is that it seems to have a city feel and a younger population - I'm not really ready to be completely surbanized yet.

We really like downtown Stamford and particularly, the Park Square West apt complex on Summer Street. That particular area feels very young, vibrant and citylike. But I'm hestitant to move to Stamford because I work pretty crazy/irregular hours as a lawyer in NYC and I think commute door-to-door from Stamford will be too much for me to handle with my long work day.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Many thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 23,418 times
we also moved from NYC to White Plains. Instead of renting downtown, do a search on craigslist and the pennysaver to find rentals offered by owner. Rents will be lower and terms negotiable.

We rented one side of a 2 family house close enough to downtown to walk, but still offering some space and backyard for our young family. Moreover, I was able to negotiate the rent and also the terms - we negotiated a lease that specified we could terminate any time during the 2nd year to make buying a house more flexible.

Overall, I am happy with the convenience of White Plains. However, with a family schools are a consideration that makes living here long term a negative for us. But with your situation it sound ideal.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 11,343 times
White Plains is a great place if you looking to be close to everything. There are other neighborhoods close to white plains that are not white plains.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-03-2008 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: No advertising allowed

Old 03-04-2008, 11:53 PM

71 posts, read 372,396 times
Before you rent an apartment, check it out on an apartment rating site to see if there's good or bad written there. You'd be surprised what you can find out. One such site is Apartment Ratings - Apartments for Rent with Ratings and Reviews from Actual Renters

Just a thought. Good luck!!

Old 04-22-2008, 01:59 PM

4 posts, read 14,540 times
Default You can use a broker to get a no-fee apartment

My boyfriend and I just put a deposit on a rental in the Bank Street Commons apartments. I used Craigslist and searched for all no-fee apartments in White Plains. Paddington Stone is a real estate company with a number of no-fee listings. We used Kinley Brown, and she was just wonderful. She spent hours with us and showed us three great places. You'd never know by the service that we got from her that we weren't paying her fee. I haven't moved in yet, but the place looks great -- I'm also an attorney working in midtown, and my commute from Morris County, NJ was killing me. As far as checking ratings, it can't hurt, but it really can't hurt to take the "angrier" postings with a grain of salt.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2008, 04:11 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,293 times
Quote:
My boyfriend and I just put a deposit on a rental in the Bank Street Commons apartments. I used Craigslist and searched for all no-fee apartments in White Plains. Paddington Stone is a real estate company with a number of no-fee listings. We used Kinley Brown, and she was just wonderful. She spent hours with us and showed us three great places. You'd never know by the service that we got from her that we weren't paying her fee. I haven't moved in yet, but the place looks great -- I'm also an attorney working in midtown, and my commute from Morris County, NJ was killing me. As far as checking ratings, it can't hurt, but it really can't hurt to take the "angrier" postings with a grain of salt.

Good luck!
GREAT choice.

About ten years ago - believe it or not - that land was .. nothing. It was a giant pit. It had this horrible blue/green wall around it, etcetc. I remember driving buy and looking through the cracks trying to see what it's in there. Hey, I was young. Then a year or two later, rumor spread that there was going to be a Mall there. (a 4th mall in WP, Eek). But, then, a year later the sign was posted. On my days to school (school bus passed it) I would watch the commons go up. It's a really nice building. Enjoy.

Enjoy it. !

Old 04-24-2008, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 14,540 times
Thanks!!! We can't wait to get settled in. I'll post again when we do and let everyone know.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:22 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,002 times
Smile same boat

We are in the same boat...
We just signed with Bank street...no broker fee is a big plus.
Hello neighbor!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,124 times
Default Bank street commons?

Hey, Bfriend, my husband and I are thinking about moving into Bank St. Commons, now that you've been there a while, any feedback? Anon reviews on the web are bad, but who knows?

Any insights would be helpful.

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:31 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
GREAT choice.

About ten years ago - believe it or not - that land was .. nothing. It was a giant pit. It had this horrible blue/green wall around it, etcetc. I remember driving buy and looking through the cracks trying to see what it's in there. Hey, I was young. Then a year or two later, rumor spread that there was going to be a Mall there. (a 4th mall in WP, Eek). But, then, a year later the sign was posted. On my days to school (school bus passed it) I would watch the commons go up. It's a really nice building. Enjoy.

Enjoy it. !
oh man you brought back so many memories for me with your post! I can remember as a kid in the 90's, me and my friends would play all types of games in that pit where they built the Bank Street Commons. I can remember there were plans to build a movie theater and arcade right there but they fell through.

I agree from what i've seen inside the buildings they're a good choice if you can afford them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County