U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 05:33 AM

19 posts, read 66,997 times

Advertisements

no one replied to my nepera park question, how about I ask what people think of northwest yonkers near the hastings border?

not interested in schools, just whats it like? anyone live there? whats it like driving into Manhattan on the Saw Mill in the morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 06:54 AM

2,328 posts, read 5,059,302 times
I lived at 1080 Warburton and 1155 Warburton in the early 1990's. At that time there were a lot of problems with car break-ins (someone broke into my car to steal a 10-dollar jacket). But I think those days are long gone. I believe 1155 Warburton is being converted to condos, which is a positive sign for the area.

Despite the density of all the apartment buildings, Warburton Avenue is pretty quiet. If you need it, the Greystone train station is right there. Downtown Hastings, which is one mile north, has an A&P and the other shops you need. And you're only about five to ten minutes from the Executive Boulevard exit of the Saw Mill River Parkway. All the traffic lights on the Saw Mill are north of Executive Boulevard, so it should be smooth sailing to Manhattan over the Henry Hudson Bridge.

For one whose primary concern is a driving commute to Manhattan, I think this would be an excellent choice.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:12 PM

305 posts, read 1,687,125 times
I can answer the "driving into Manhattan" on the Saw Mill question.

If you get on the parkway at Executive Boulevard, you will miss all the traffic prior to that exit. The Saw Mill in the AM has a lot of traffic since it has only 2 lanes plus stoplights. However, the traffic breaks up right after Executive Blvd. From there you can jump on the Henry Hudson or the Mosholu.

I take the Saw Mill to the Henry Hudson to the West Side highway everyday. Henry Hudson is usually pretty clear but they have been doing construction on the bridge for months so it has been taking me longer. Traffic on the west Side highway is not too bad. Usually there is traffic at the GW merge but its not too bad. I'd say with traffic, it would probably take about 40 minutes during rush hour to get to midtown, unless there's an accident (like this morning) in which case it could take an hour or more.

I know this was a long winded answer but that is a good place to live if you need to drive into NYC.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 AM

19 posts, read 66,997 times
Default commuting

thanks for all the great input! really appreciate it.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:24 PM
L-1

8 posts, read 44,564 times
commuting to the city by car from that location can be a drag... the Saw Mill has its limitations and there tend to be a few crazed drivers. Most people in that area take the train from either Yonkers, Glenwood or Greystone. Crime increases more as you go along Warburten towards Yonkers and subsides a bit as you come to downtown Yonkers proper. The downtown Yonkers waterfront is undergoing quite a nice revitalization but I don't know much about it other than having eaten/drank at several of the new places there and enjoyed it. Glad you're not considering schools in that area as they are distinctly terrible.

Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County