Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 07:59 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times

Advertisements

The OP wants an upper middle class area AND diversity? Plenty of great areas like Scarsdale, Irvington, Hastings, etc., but they may not be diverse enough, especially Scarsdale. Fleetwood makes sense only because of the diversity factor. I personally would get over the diversity issue. It's 2017, not 1917. What should matter are good schools and buying a good investment, especially in the price range of the OP.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 08:26 AM

93,201 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The OP wants an upper middle class area AND diversity? Plenty of great areas like Scarsdale, Irvington, Hastings, etc., but they may not be diverse enough, especially Scarsdale. Fleetwood makes sense only because of the diversity factor. I personally would get over the diversity issue. It's 2017, not 1917. What should matter are good schools and buying a good investment, especially in the price range of the OP.
To be fair, the OP is in an interracial relationship and in turn, likely wants an environment that is comfortable to them. I think it is easy to dismiss that aspect if it isn't something that you don't have to think or care about, but may be an important aspect for some people.

With this said, there have been examples given in the thread relative to the target area that would/could fit the criteria.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-19-2017 at 08:38 AM..

Old 03-22-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, Valhalla is a fine school district with good/solid schools. It may not be Scarsdale, Bronxville, Edgemont or Rye, but it isn't a bad school district. Valhalla Union Free School District - USA.comâ„¢ If you look at census block groups in the district, those in the southern/SW portion of the district may work for the OP.

I also have a feeling that those highly regarded school districts I mentioned aren't going to fit the criteria outside of school quality and maybe location, given the criteria.

To be honest, the area that would appear to fulfill the criteria and the attitudes of people commenting is likely (northern) Pelham. For instance, this school serves that area: Hutchinson School

Northern Pelham info: Census Tract 005300 in Westchester County, New York

It is in an area that is next to nice and diverse parts of Mount Vernon and New Rochelle. Its location can allow for taking say Fleetwood or North Ave in New Rochelle, along with having a walkable business district in that neighborhood itself. So, you get the good schools, an upper middle class neighborhood/community, with diversity in the immediate neighborhood and in the neighborhoods of adjacent cities(which are also within the range of "middle class").

Then, you have a place like Tuckahoe, where everyone goes to 1 school at each level and it would also fit what the OP is looking for. Since it is a small community, here is a census block group that may work: Census Block Group 004800-3 in Westchester County, New York It isn't as uniform in terms of demographics though, but its small size may allow for the OP to consider it. Tuckahoe Union Free School District - USA.comâ„¢
More information on these 3 school districts: ABOUT US - PELHAM PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Valhalla Union Free School District

Home Page -

Old 03-28-2017, 08:37 AM

185 posts, read 422,621 times
OMG the posts on this thread are making me laugh! I can't believe some of the replies! Why are you segregating yourself? So what if you are an interracial couple? Westchester/Fairfield in 2017 is more about $$, schools, and commute regardless of color (for the most part).

From the commute side of things, I can't imagine why ANYONE would recommend anything along the Hudson river when you work in Greenwich. There is a bottleneck getting to 287 and then as you get to 95/287 intersection which will grow tiresome VERY quickly. If your wife is will continue to work in manhattan when you move, concentrate on YOUR commute to Greenwich, and proximity to train station FIRST. FWIW, I commuted from Westchester to Greenwich/Stamford for many years, but much preferred life when I was living in CT - Cos Cob/Byram/Riverside/ your budget would work Greenwich and Stamford have everything as long as you have the money. There is also more to do before kids arrive...

Otherwise look at the North White Plains/Armonk North King Street Rye Ridge/ Port Chester (Rye Ridge schools) areas - close enough to get to train stations, but still Greenwich accessable by backroad or merrit pky. Good Luck

Old 03-28-2017, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,730 times
Original poster here - big thanks to most of you for your insightful and helpful replies.

To be clear - we view diversity as a POSITIVE. It's not about "being comfortable," it's about valuing exposure to different kinds of people.

So with all due respect - we're looking for info on towns based on what our priorities are. Not on what you think they should be.

To answer some legitimate questions...

This will most likely not be our last house, as we plan to move to NJ down the line. So elementary schools slightly more important than high school. Private schools might also be an option.

As far as the river towns go, my commute is not quite as important since I travel most weeks. Just want my wife to have a good commute and if possible, be closer to our family in north jersey.

So far - Pelham looks like a solid option, as does Dobbs. Certain parts of white plains, new Rochelle and mount Vernon will be in the mix too.

If anyone has extra info/personal experiences with any of these towns that would be much appreciated!

Old 03-28-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestchesterNoob View Post
Original poster here - big thanks to most of you for your insightful and helpful replies.

To be clear - we view diversity as a POSITIVE. It's not about "being comfortable," it's about valuing exposure to different kinds of people.

So with all due respect - we're looking for info on towns based on what our priorities are. Not on what you think they should be.

To answer some legitimate questions...

This will most likely not be our last house, as we plan to move to NJ down the line. So elementary schools slightly more important than high school. Private schools might also be an option.

As far as the river towns go, my commute is not quite as important since I travel most weeks. Just want my wife to have a good commute and if possible, be closer to our family in north jersey.

So far - Pelham looks like a solid option, as does Dobbs. Certain parts of white plains, new Rochelle and mount Vernon will be in the mix too.

If anyone has extra info/personal experiences with any of these towns that would be much appreciated!
I've heard that using public transportation to get into the city could be a pain, but I thought about Nyack as an option due to its proximity to Bergen County. New City, Suffern and Nanuet were others in Rockland County that I thought about.

Hopefully others will chime in with more specifics.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:11 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
No, but the OP has the right to live in an area where people have friends of other races.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I've heard that using public transportation to get into the city could be a pain, but I thought about Nyack as an option due to its proximity to Bergen County. New City, Suffern and Nanuet were others in Rockland County that I thought about.

Hopefully others will chime in with more specifics.
Some information that I came across: New York City Commute from Rockland, Orange, and Ulster County New York

Old 03-30-2017, 07:51 AM

185 posts, read 422,621 times
OP, STILL, with everything you mentioned, Stamford area still comes out on top for train commuting, diversity, housing. No love for Fairfield county?
Pelham/ New Rochelle could be great, but having commuted from pelham pkwy area to Stamford was impossible for me - YMMV

Dobbs is a great town, have friends there, (actually biracial), would call it creative/accepting/ but not especially diverse - but I guess everyones definition of acceptable "diversity" is different. I always look for economic diversity percentage(in the schools) for myself - it can be more telling as far as Westchester county goes. Wouldn't be happy on the bottom or top. OP, Either way, your budget is decent and you will find your sweet spot for right town. I actually drove to towns, had lunch on a Saturday, drove at 5:00, shopped in local stores - home is a big purchase - and you should try to be comfortable in your choice - your visits will tell you more - good luck!

Old 03-31-2017, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 9,730 times
Thanks Eileen! Super helpful. Had been hesitant to look at Stamford because of my wife's commute to NYC (express trains not bad, but otherwise looking at an hour right?) vs 30-40 minute rides on all trains from the other locations.

That said - at first glance, the housing options in Stamford at our price range look much better than I thought! Will keep it in the mix.

To your point on Dobbs - agreed. Just looked diverse relative to the other small river towns. Which were appealing for how close they were to NJ and NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County