Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,043 times

Advertisements

I've heard mixed reviews about Ossining. Some people have said that because of the prison there are some really sketchy areas. Can anyone give me advice about where to look if I'm interested in looking at houses/townhomes in Ossining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 10:57 AM

371 posts, read 1,566,593 times
I would look in the area closer to Briarcliff. Stay away from the actual town (Main St)My sister lives in Ossining and it is really nice and residential in that area. I also heard that they will be closing the prison but don't quote me on that.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:36 AM

223 posts, read 828,064 times
there are definitely some sketchy areas but also some really nice townhomes if you look further away from the river closer to 9A. The closer to Briarcliff usually means nicer area. Schools are not very good though, not sure if thats important to you or not

Old 03-27-2008, 07:58 AM

371 posts, read 1,566,593 times
The schools are good its just that the high immigration brings the scores down. They do offer alot for the children. My sisters children love the schools.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:01 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
I've heard good things about Ossining schools too. I totally agree with MomofToo that the relatively low test scores are due to the large population of second language learners. When we were looking I spoke to a lot of educators in the area and the general consensus was that Ossining schools were quite good. And many parents want their kids to go to racially and socio-econimically diverse schools, which is definitely the case in Ossining.

There are gorgeous old houses throughout Ossining. The "nicest" area in my opinion is the Sparta historic district, which has a lot of really great homes from the 1700's and 1800's. Those can be a bit pricey, of course, so that depends on your price range.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
Just to clarify--my comments above on areas were about Ossining Village only. The Town of Ossining is huge and includes many lovely areas, such as parts of Teatown, which I personally prefer to the village. But I assumed the poster meant the village...

Old 03-30-2008, 07:38 AM

100 posts, read 530,143 times
Ossining has many nice areas; generally the ones that are down by Sing Sing or in that general area are the rough ones. And anyway, you don't want to live in a house where your lights dim once a week (that's a very old joke, Lord forgive me...).

Drive southbound on route 9 and use that as a dividing line. The areas to your left are generally better than the ones to the right. There are areas out by route 9A that are gorgeous.

This being said I dig all of Ossining. It has great character. I went to a barbecue one night at a friend's house who lived across from the prison gate. We heard them calling the guys in from the yard over the loud speaker.

There are great cafes, restaurants, places to hang out, a great library and a metro north stop to get you into Manhattan. And don't forget to visit the Ossining Museum.

I can't help with the school system, I don't know much about except that its got diversity which is good for kids.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEducator View Post
I've heard mixed reviews about Ossining. Some people have said that because of the prison there are some really sketchy areas. Can anyone give me advice about where to look if I'm interested in looking at houses/townhomes in Ossining?

I live right near the prison and none of the areas in Ossining are sketchy like people say. I have lived there my whole life and if u want to compare it to Yonkers(the bad parts) or some streets in the bronx, we do not have garbage hanging around on our streets nor do we have a lot of criminal activity like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County