Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 01:00 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,802,611 times

Advertisements

Is it possible for flooding of the kind that happened in Houston to occur in LI Sound? If it happened, how far inland can severe flooding reach? Can the floods go as far inland as west of I-95 (eg, Harrison, Rye Brook)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 02:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,096,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Is it possible for flooding of the kind that happened in Houston to occur in LI Sound? If it happened, how far inland can severe flooding reach? Can the floods go as far inland as west of I-95 (eg, Harrison, Rye Brook)?

Elevation is the best defense to flooding, but there are other factors that impact if a specific piece of property is subject to flooding. The county has a great website with maps and tools to help figure out if your property is in danger. Check this link:

Flood Zones & Maps

The 100 and 500 year floodplains are what you need to look at. But at the end of the day, anything is possible. 40 inches of rain over a 24 hour period would likely cause not just flooding, but flash floods even at high elevations, with natural containers causing temporary flooding in areas not in floodplains. Obviously it would be unusual for a hurricane to move fast enough to get to this area from the mid-atlantic but stop moving when it got here to allow for the massive rainfall. Its more likely for this to happen in the southern US, but it is probably possible. Sadly, whether one believes climate change is caused by humans or is just a natural change over time, there is no question that floodplain studies based on 100 and 500 year histories may prove to be of limited use in the future and we may exceed and set new 100 year and 500 year marks. But there highs are still very useful guides.

The flooding in Houston was not due to storm surge like other storms in the past. This flooding was due to rainfall. Massive rainfall.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:44 PM

18,975 posts, read 16,808,198 times
Simply ask yourself if 50" of rain fell how well could the waterways carry it off? I'll bet Saw Mill, Hutchison, Sprain Brook, and most of the other parkways would be underwater to start.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:02 AM

3,838 posts, read 1,957,883 times
I have seen boats on Mamaroneck Avenue in Mamaroneck during floods. Usually the river that floods.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:23 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,271,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Simply ask yourself if 50" of rain fell how well could the waterways carry it off? I'll bet Saw Mill, Hutchison, Sprain Brook, and most of the other parkways would be underwater to start.
Absolutely. In 1996 or 1997 we got walloped by a nor'easter that dumped close to a foot of rain on top of two feet of snow. I'm nowhere near a floodplain yet still ended up with three feet of water in my basement...and so did all my neighbors. Once the water table starts rising it's all over. I watched the water come up right through the concrete of my basement floor. I can't imagine 50" of rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County