Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 02:52 PM

259 posts, read 174,199 times

Advertisements

Coops are basically throwing money into a wishing well with no way to get it out unless a group of people agree to allow you to get out. It is a 50 year lease with all the rent money up front. That is why they are so "cheap". The loan from the bank is the up front payment. If this is your cup of tea, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 06:00 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiChiMaster View Post
Coops are basically throwing money into a wishing well with no way to get it out unless a group of people agree to allow you to get out. It is a 50 year lease with all the rent money up front. That is why they are so "cheap". The loan from the bank is the up front payment. If this is your cup of tea, so be it.
Coops are cheap. Including the $10 million coops on Park Avenue?

Go back and crawl under your rock.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Coops are cheap. Including the $10 million coops on Park Avenue?

Go back and crawl under your rock.
Look at the title and look at the question about the coops are so cheap in Westchester? They are cheap because there is no market for them. That is the way economics works in a free market system.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Look at the title and look at the question about the coops are so cheap in Westchester? They are cheap because there is no market for them. That is the way economics works in a free market system.
Dude, you have no freaking idea what you are talking about. There is a SHORTAGE of listings on Garth Road. I have the data. They've always been much cheaper than Manhattan because people pay a huge premium to live in Manhattan. It's that simple.

Full disclosure - I do not own a coop on Garth Road or anywhere.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Dude, you have no freaking idea what you are talking about. There is a SHORTAGE of listings on Garth Road. I have the data. They've always been much cheaper than Manhattan because people pay a huge premium to live in Manhattan. It's that simple.

Full disclosure - I do not own a coop on Garth Road or anywhere.
Unfortunately for your case, I talked to several realtors, all of whom confirmed my views and observations, which is why I am relating them. In addition, all confided with me that they would never purchase a coop as a primary residence unless there was no other options. Signing a long term lease and paying for it in advance is a dubious proposition which unfortunately infects Metro NYC and no where else in the country. There are historical reasons for this state of affairs.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately for your case, I talked to several realtors, all of whom confirmed my views and observations, which is why I am relating them. In addition, all confided with me that they would never purchase a coop as a primary residence unless there was no other options. Signing a long term lease and paying for it in advance is a dubious proposition which unfortunately infects Metro NYC and no where else in the country. There are historical reasons for this state of affairs.

Here are the MLS stats on Garth Road for the last 12 months:

Active Listings - 18
Under Contract - 20
Sold - 91
Expired - 15 (presumably some were relisted and sold)

Like I sad, you and your alleged realtors friends can crawl back under your rocks.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Here are the MLS stats on Garth Road for the last 12 months:

Active Listings - 18
Under Contract - 20
Sold - 91
Expired - 15 (presumably some were relisted and sold)

Like I sad, you and your alleged realtors friends can crawl back under your rocks.
Very poor research. I actually went to the public records and researched how many were pulled. You see, there is much more to real estate and knowledge is better than blustering.

To reiterate, coops are nothing more than long-term, pre-paid lease arrangements, and to sub-lease (sell shares), you need the landlord's (Board) approval. They are cheap for a reason. Long-term leases are a poor arrangement unless one has no other choice. Pretty much everyone realizes this except you.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Very poor research. I actually went to the public records and researched how many were pulled. You see, there is much more to real estate and knowledge is better than blustering.

To reiterate, coops are nothing more than long-term, pre-paid lease arrangements, and to sub-lease (sell shares), you need the landlord's (Board) approval. They are cheap for a reason. Long-term leases are a poor arrangement unless one has no other choice. Pretty much everyone realizes this except you.
2,900 coops sold in WC in the last 12 months, providing further proof that either you have some sort of agenda, or you are just a plain idiot.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:18 PM

Average price single family: $335/sq ft
Average price condo: $314/sq ft
Average price coop: $212/sq ft

The market has spoken.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Average price single family: $335/sq ft
Average price condo: $314/sq ft
Average price coop: $212/sq ft

The market has spoken.
You just brought up a different issue because I destroyed you on the issue of supply and demand.

Do you know how many more coops there are in WC than condos? A lot. And a lower price doesn't mean there is less demand, it means that people will pay less for them than a condo. So what? Who cares. There still is a shortage of listings in desirable areas such as Garth Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County