Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:54 PM

10 posts, read 98,146 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to Westchester from Virginia. We would appreciate any input on the quality of parochial schools in Westchester. Along with the original 3 R's we also hope to provide our children with a strong faith formation. If they don't have that - what will they have to rebel against as teenagers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 18,946 times
Smile Catholic Schools

The first option for researching Catholic Schools in the Westchester County area is to go to the source - the Archdiocese of NY website: http://archny.org/education/search-for-a-school/index.cfm (broken link) From here, you can research grammar schools or high schools, and check the specific town each is located within. You will even find links to some of the schools. Use the city-data site here to get specific information about each locale, and before you know it, you'll have narrowed your search! Good luck!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:55 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,337,092 times
Go to a webpage like greatschools.net. Type in the name of the town or the name of the school. Look at what other people have said about the school to get a gague of what it is like.

I honestly don't think you're going to find what you're looking for in Westchester county though in terms of faith. Are you coming from the Arlington diocese? Because if so things are quite different up here. If you want to give the faith to your kids then you might just have to do it on your own.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:00 AM

84 posts, read 566,106 times
Mead.....interesting response regarding Arlington Diocese and Westchester area.....you say you'd have to teach them the faith on your own....how so?? Just trying to get some insight! Thanks!!

Old 02-04-2007, 08:40 PM

150 posts, read 797,808 times
I went to Catholic schools all the way up to two years of college. Immaculate Conception School in Tuckahoe, Maria Regina High School and Elizabeth Seton College in Yonkers, NY (no longer operating as a school). The high schools in the area are excellent. Grammar schools may not be as good as public schools academically, depending on which town you're in. Sacred Heart in Greenwich, CT comes to mind as an excellent elementary school. Holy Child in Rye, NY starts in grade 6 and is also excellent, but both schools are, I believe, for girls. For boys there's Iona Prep in New Rochelle, with feeder schools like Anunciation School, in Yonkers. St. Joseph's in Bronxville also has a good reputation as a grammar school.

A word to the wise; if you plan to send the kids to Catholic schools, skip towns with an excellent public school system as the taxes will knock your socks off. Check out towns like New Rochelle, parts of Yonkers and White Plains. Don't even THINK of Mt. Vernon.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:01 AM

Thanks! I have actually visited those sites. Unfortunately it's very hard to gauge the academics on the sites since there is no benchmark. The public schools have test results - not that that is necessarily the truest indicator, but it helps place a school, at least academically. The Great schools website seems very limited in the number of comments - sometimes I think the administrators are using the comment lines as promo areas or very disgruntled parents vent their anger - everything is either fantastic or terrible...

Old 02-06-2007, 03:04 AM

Thank you - Yes, we are coming from the Arlington diocese. In what way are things different? I have been considering home-schooling my three boys - are you aware of any Catholic home-schooling groups?

Old 02-06-2007, 03:06 AM

How was growing up in Tuckahoe? Any thoughts about your grammar school? Thanks

Old 02-06-2007, 10:59 PM

411 posts, read 1,597,819 times
I grew up in Eastchester, NY. My 'rents sent me to Immaculate Conception School after which I went to Maria Regina. ICS was gloomy with no playground equipment or gym. Also, the nuns were mean! The sure could control a classroom with 30 kids in it however!

Old 02-07-2007, 12:06 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,337,092 times
Tuckahoe is a nice town. I believe there is a Catholic home schooling group in Westchester, PM me if you want more details. Some of the public schools in Westchester are really nice though. Don't overlook them. Schools in towns like Scarsdale, Bronxville could give any private school a run for their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County