Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 02:49 PM

973 posts, read 1,408,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
Heard a lot of good things about Nyack...and Nanuet, but more so Nyack.
I have no idea what a single black man age 37 would do in Nanuet .... except hang out in Nyack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 03:15 PM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Beacon is not accessible to Manhattan, at least for a person who is looking at Westchester and Rockland. Its too far away. Yes, it has train access to NYC, but so does Montreal.
It is on a metro north line. I wasn’t referring to Amtrak...

Old 11-28-2017, 03:20 PM

973 posts, read 1,408,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is on a metro north line. I wasn’t referring to Amtrak...
It doesn't matter what the name of the line is. It is way too far north for what this poster is looking for. He/She wants something with good access to NYC. I can't imagine anyone thinking Beacon provides good access to NYC given how far away it is. Context is important, and if you look at the towns mentioned by the poster, Beacon is many times further north. Your probably increasing the distance by more than 200%.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter what the name of the line is. It is way too far north for what this poster is looking for. He/She wants something with good access to NYC. I can't imagine anyone thinking Beacon provides good access to NYC given how far away it is. Context is important, and if you look at the towns mentioned by the poster, Beacon is many times further north. Your probably increasing the distance by more than 200%.
I did say that if they didn’t mind going further north, it could work. If the OP doesn’t, that’s fine as well, as I’m not really disagreeing with what you are saying. It does have access to NYC and fits a lot of the criteria, while actually being located in the metro area now(the former Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro joined the NYC metro around 2013 or so).

To be honest, I think the Fleetwood area of Mount Vernon may fit everything and has very good access into NYC. Area near the Fleetwood station: Census Tract 003800 in Westchester County, New York

East of the first tract: Census Tract 003900 in Westchester County, New York

Another nearby tract: Census Tract 004500 in Westchester County, New York

Another nearby tract in Yonkers: Census Tract 002402 in Westchester County, New York

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-28-2017 at 05:37 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 01:58 PM

362 posts, read 497,255 times
Quote:
Beacon is a little out of the way for me, but ckhthankgod DID mention it, saying if I didn't mind going further north...

Old 11-29-2017, 02:16 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,613,829 times
I'm amazed that Mount Vernon is being suggested here. One of my favorite breweries moved from Woodlawn to just outside of Mount Vernon East metro north stop. I should stop by one day, though what I know (Fleetwood) has always seemed like a sleepy area to me.

Nightlife is fun in northern Stamford, CT. Southern it feels like a ghetto industrial area being turned luxury, kinda like LIC but with parking spots. I have friends who live there and work in Greenwich, CT. Still amazes me that going out is cheaper in my neighborhood in Manhattan by a factor of 2x though... I'll mention though that I pay $800 less to live in Manhattan than my friend does to live in Stamford, my deal is actually pretty exceptional for the NYC area!

Bartaco in Stamford, CT is worth going to. The tacos are good and margharitas delightful. Try the cauliflower! The Italian pub is really nice too in my sort of grungy down to earth way. Excellent cranberry cider on tap (Downeaster I think?)

Old 11-29-2017, 02:35 PM

362 posts, read 497,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I'm amazed that Mount Vernon is being suggested here. One of my favorite breweries moved from Woodlawn to just outside of Mount Vernon East metro north stop. I should stop by one day, though what I know (Fleetwood) has always seemed like a sleepy area to me.

Nightlife is fun in northern Stamford, CT. Southern it feels like a ghetto industrial area being turned luxury, kinda like LIC but with parking spots. I have friends who live there and work in Greenwich, CT. Still amazes me that going out is cheaper in my neighborhood in Manhattan by a factor of 2x though... I'll mention though that I pay $800 less to live in Manhattan than my friend does to live in Stamford, my deal is actually pretty exceptional for the NYC area!

Bartaco in Stamford, CT is worth going to. The tacos are good and margharitas delightful. Try the cauliflower! The Italian pub is really nice too in my sort of grungy down to earth way. Excellent cranberry cider on tap (Downeaster I think?)

What kinda deal you got?...

Old 11-29-2017, 03:10 PM

830 posts, read 1,092,003 times
Quote:
Northern Stamford is suburban/rural with some horse farms, estates, etc. I think you mean the downtown area? The southern area you are referring to is Harbor Point, which has quickly gone from industrial to highrise upscale in the last 5 years. On average, it's still well cheaper than Manhattan and you get more space, parking, gym, pool, new units, waterfront access, and still easy access to the city. Your deal is definitely not the norm!

Old 11-29-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Fleetwood offers a diverse population, walkability and a short train ride into NYC. So, if the OP wants more, it is a short train ride away.

I don’t know if this is allowed, but here is some video: https://youtu.be/2AP_u76ulcE

https://youtu.be/-r_GJpgr44w

https://youtu.be/8UN5VZ71y2c

Old 11-30-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Fleetwood offers a diverse population, walkability and a short train ride into NYC. So, if the OP wants more, it is a short train ride away.

I don’t know if this is allowed, but here is some video: https://youtu.be/2AP_u76ulcE

https://youtu.be/-r_GJpgr44w

https://youtu.be/8UN5VZ71y2c
Zip code information: 10552 Zip Code - USA.com™
10552 Zip Code Historical Race Data - USA.com™
10552 Zip Code Income and Careers - USA.com™
10552 Zip Code Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.com™

Keep in mind that the zip code and Black median household income was above the metro figure for that period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County