U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-26-2017, 11:18 AM
 
Location: New York
1,165 posts, read 686,665 times
Reputation: 2931

Advertisements

Just an additional note re: Ardsley - it technically has a train station on the Hudson Metro North line (located North of Dobbs Ferry and South of Irvington) but it's not located in Ardsley. To get there you will need to battle the traffic through Ashford Avenue (which bottlenecks on the multi-year road construction over the Saw Mill parkway during rush hours) or take the back roads via Lawrence and cross Saw Mill that way. Either way, your commute is going to be a significant hassle compared to, say, Irvington or other towns which have the station centrally located.

Just something to consider, but hopefully a good RE agent will be able to point out these considerations to you as well.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2017, 12:00 PM
 
65,491 posts, read 91,302,416 times
Reputation: 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycwestchester914 View Post
The map is very accurate. The north end of New Rochelle is also very nice. You can use Davis elementary school and the middle school but would probably have to send kids to private high school. Larger lots there. Easy access to Scarsdale train station from many parts of new Rochelle’s north end.
Some New Rochelle HS information: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000035130


https://data.nysed.gov/reportcard.ph...s=1&gradrate=1


So, it looks like NRHS could still be a viable option with its 87% graduation rate. Can view more information here: https://data.nysed.gov/reportcard.ph...d=800000035130
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 11:51 AM
 
107 posts, read 94,734 times
Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some New Rochelle HS information: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000035130


https://data.nysed.gov/reportcard.ph...s=1&gradrate=1


So, it looks like NRHS could still be a viable option with its 87% graduation rate. Can view more information here: https://data.nysed.gov/reportcard.ph...d=800000035130
I'm sure some people excel there but 87% graduation rate, only 40% going to college, and less than half scoring in the top bucket on regents exam isn't really what I'm looking for.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 02:40 PM
 
735 posts, read 625,998 times
Reputation: 1482
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNYCfast View Post
I'm sure some people excel there but 87% graduation rate, only 40% going to college, and less than half scoring in the top bucket on regents exam isn't really what I'm looking for.
Yeah New Rochelle's public schools are a turn off to many families, including those who aren't necessarily only looking at super elite districts like Scarsdale/Chappaqua/Rye Brook/Bronxville, etc.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 04:17 PM
 
65,491 posts, read 91,302,416 times
Reputation: 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNYCfast View Post
I'm sure some people excel there but 87% graduation rate, only 40% going to college, and less than half scoring in the top bucket on regents exam isn't really what I'm looking for.
That’s not what it says. 42% are going to 4 year colleges and another 29% are going to 2 year colleges. For General Education students, those percentages are 45% and 28%. So, that percentage of those going into college is in the 70’s in terms of percentage(71% as a whole and 73% for Gen Ed students).

Keep in mind that New Rochelle HS has a little over 3300 students.

With this said, Tuckahoe may have the best balance.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-27-2017 at 04:27 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2018, 11:13 AM
 
20 posts, read 38,690 times
Reputation: 10
ahhh why cant the schools in white plains be better? everything about the area is perfect but the schools!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2018, 01:35 PM
 
718 posts, read 728,236 times
Reputation: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That’s not what it says. 42% are going to 4 year colleges and another 29% are going to 2 year colleges. For General Education students, those percentages are 45% and 28%. So, that percentage of those going into college is in the 70’s in terms of percentage(71% as a whole and 73% for Gen Ed students).

Keep in mind that New Rochelle HS has a little over 3300 students.

With this said, Tuckahoe may have the best balance.
Keep in mind that New Rochelle is cross-shopped with nearby districts where the percentage of kids going to college approaches 100, and the ratio of 4 year to community college is a lot better than 2-1. Bottom line is that when only a minority of students are going to 4 year colleges, many families are going to run the other way.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2018, 07:00 PM
 
48 posts, read 86,984 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmworkacct2112 View Post
ahhh why cant the schools in white plains be better? everything about the area is perfect but the schools!
My kids go to White Plains schools. I couldn't be happier with their education and safety. Teaching is differentiated and tailored to kid's abilities. Kindergarten tours are going on this month - you should check them out if you really like the area.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2018, 09:42 PM
 
65,491 posts, read 91,302,416 times
Reputation: 14333
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Keep in mind that New Rochelle is cross-shopped with nearby districts where the percentage of kids going to college approaches 100, and the ratio of 4 year to community college is a lot better than 2-1. Bottom line is that when only a minority of students are going to 4 year colleges, many families are going to run the other way.
I see what you are saying, but is that necessarily true in terms of scaring families off? Many people may go the community college route first before transferring to a 4 year college in order to save money. So, going to a community college doesn’t necessarily mean that it is the highest level of education those students go to. An example of this: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...o-year-college

Nothing personal, but I think it is just something that people may have to keep in mind.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-16-2018 at 09:57 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2018, 08:18 AM
bg7
 
7,696 posts, read 9,019,703 times
Reputation: 15196
New Rochelle high school kids - last week:


https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...468647513.html
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top