U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 12:29 PM

245 posts, read 411,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
There's not so much fact learning compared to 20 years back. Its more analysis, comprehension, evidence-supported reasoning/argument, and learning concepts & then applying them.

Are you talking from present day experience or are you talking from what you think NYS schooling is?

From what I think it is. I always resented how History and English were taught in school. For History, I feel there was too much emphasis on useless facts with no insight into root cause for the events. And for English, I never liked reading "classics" with their unrelatable stories and outdated styles of writing. And don't get me started on Math and science :-)

Maybe things are different now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 02:56 PM

1,183 posts, read 336,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
From what I think it is. I always resented how History and English were taught in school. For History, I feel there was too much emphasis on useless facts with no insight into root cause for the events. And for English, I never liked reading "classics" with their unrelatable stories and outdated styles of writing. And don't get me started on Math and science :-)

There is significantly less rote-memorization. Its a lot more skill-based - learn this skill by applying it to these texts. Don't just look at this math problem as one way to get the answer - look at these different ways of solving the same initial math problem - then apply them to more complex numbers and patterns. Evidence analysis in history.. Etc etc. People have been all up in arms about common core (eye roll) but they are just focused on a rejection of standardized testing really. In fact the curricula which came in are a lot more about conceptual and skills learning which can be applied. I've noticed the difference in my two (temporally far apart) children who were taught/are being taught under the different ways.

Now in Science has always been a mixture of learning facts and concepts/application thereof. Can't help there. There is the experiment driven learning (like the old Nuffield format in the UK) but that didn't usually appeal to anyone who wasn't already into science in the first place.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:55 PM

932 posts, read 278,671 times
Quote:

If without a solid knowledge of "useless facts" like dates and historical figures, understanding root causes is impossible. Like learning to read without knowing the alphabet.

Books are classics because the stories resonate with readers over the years.

Maybe you never liked school.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:37 AM

740 posts, read 450,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
There is significantly less rote-memorization. Its a lot more skill-based - learn this skill by applying it to these texts. Don't just look at this math problem as one way to get the answer - look at these different ways of solving the same initial math problem - then apply them to more complex numbers and patterns. Evidence analysis in history.. Etc etc. People have been all up in arms about common core (eye roll) but they are just focused on a rejection of standardized testing really. In fact the curricula which came in are a lot more about conceptual and skills learning which can be applied. I've noticed the difference in my two (temporally far apart) children who were taught/are being taught under the different ways.

Now in Science has always been a mixture of learning facts and concepts/application thereof. Can't help there. There is the experiment driven learning (like the old Nuffield format in the UK) but that didn't usually appeal to anyone who wasn't already into science in the first place.
This is true. I have a couple good friends who are middle school teachers, and most of what they do in the classroom is intended to convey a wider skill/concept/pattern/technique. A (good) teacher will choose a book not simply because it's a classic or on some suggested book list but because it conveys some larger important theme or concept which can be tied into the area they are studying.

Either way it sure beats the way I learned (homeschooled) which was basically having a bunch of books/curriculum dumped on my desk with no guidance/teaching whatsoever. The main life skills I gained was independent study/problem solving along with a heavy dose of introversion.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:55 AM

6 posts, read 2,084 times
Quite honestly, it is very, very difficult to find the kind of school you are looking for in Westchester county. I agree with what a previous poster said - it's a wealthy county and people want to see high test scores. Also - a lot of New York public school funding is tied up in predetermined mandates which dictate what kind of teaching happens and what the curriculum is.
No judgment here - everyone needs / wants different things for their kids - depending.

If I knew what I know now - and I had to send my kids to public - I'd consider Ardsley or Tarrytown. I like this side of the county and those towns have schools which are better equipped to serve a wide variety of students and families.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:07 PM

372 posts, read 384,324 times
Quote:
IMO, alot of this expensive learning is just cramming up on useless facts and data that no adult ever uses/needs. In fact, one could argue that this learning just makes them social outcasts.. There has to be balance, which is what makes this so hard to say which school is "best"...
I'm an attorney by trade. I don't use calculus or Latin American art history in daily life, but I would never say these are useless. Maybe they are useless to someone who doesn't value human civilization and knowledge, but certainly not to me.

As for learning making kids "social outcasts", I'm not even sure where that's coming from. Maybe such kids will be social outcast in the ghettos or some Ozark hillbilly town where cooking crank is more valued than knowledge of particle physics. Thankfully, Westchester is not one such community. Education and work ethics are valued here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or