U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 07:56 AM

8,066 posts, read 9,499,614 times

Advertisements

How about your child is starting Kindergarten and the communities you mention have highly regarded school systems which you are guaranteed admission to with no lottery or anything else. If you really feel the system is failing your child as they get older then you can review you options then.

I have to believe that your considering moving out of the city for more than school opportunities. Your child will do fine parental involvement has a far greater impact than the schools do and you will be providing that regardless of location.

Good Luck and enjoy your new home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 07:48 PM

516 posts, read 414,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
This is correct, broadly speaking. Within most school districts, however, there are further divisions for elementary schools. These "sub-districts" are geographically drawn as well within the school district. So you know exactly which elementary school, middle school (if there is more than one) and high school you will be attending. The person pointing out the issue is simply saying there is now uncertainty with respect to the elementary school for people who buy in Larchmont. It is definitely one of the elementary schools in the school district, but some people care about the specific school.
But that is not what they said, hence the query. The person probably just misspoke. But on this topic, it is dangerous to buy in a district if you have a major problem with one or more of multiple schools within the district. What you have described as sub-districts can be changed year to year at the whim of the board of ed and/or the superintendent. In my home district, which has multiple elementary schools but one MS and one HS, each year the maps get tweeted based on new kindergartnen enrollment. Or, the district could wake up tomorrow and decide that all last names A-I go to one school, etc, or they could decide to put all K-1 in one building and 2-3 in another building and so on (a neighboring district does this). The lesson for prospective buyers is donít buy in a district if you will have a problem with ANY of the districtís kids being in class with your kid.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:59 PM

80 posts, read 88,183 times
987abc, when i made my original post, it was on a mobile phone from work, so brevity was required. so yes, i wasn't 100% accurate to the letter, but in spirit, what i said holds true.

if you go out right now and buy a house for murray ave school in larchmont, there is some risk that your child will be attending central school in a year or two (when this will actually be is not determined at this point). that's a fact. that has deterred one family i know from buying in the mamaroneck SD.

when you say these sub districts can be changed year to year at the whim...i find that hard to believe. there's way too many logistical hurdles and taxpayer anger for this to actually happen.

i'd be interested to know which school district you live in, that each year the maps get changed? i find that hard to believe.

in general, i'd say it's pretty reliable for a buyer to buy in a specific district if there is a specific school they like.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:15 PM

52 posts, read 32,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
The lesson for prospective buyers is don’t buy in a district if you will have a problem with ANY of the district’s kids being in class with your kid.
That's the essence of the Mamaroneck school district issue. Two affluent elementary schools who's parents are terrified of mixing with the "others" (even though their kids will go to the same middle and high school). We're soooo progressive here. We complain about Trump, but will spend $$$ to make sure our kids don't share a classroom with immigrants.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:39 AM

516 posts, read 414,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjbukem73 View Post
987abc, when i made my original post, it was on a mobile phone from work, so brevity was required. so yes, i wasn't 100% accurate to the letter, but in spirit, what i said holds true.

if you go out right now and buy a house for murray ave school in larchmont, there is some risk that your child will be attending central school in a year or two (when this will actually be is not determined at this point). that's a fact. that has deterred one family i know from buying in the mamaroneck SD.

when you say these sub districts can be changed year to year at the whim...i find that hard to believe. there's way too many logistical hurdles and taxpayer anger for this to actually happen.

i'd be interested to know which school district you live in, that each year the maps get changed? i find that hard to believe.

in general, i'd say it's pretty reliable for a buyer to buy in a specific district if there is a specific school they like.
In my district no one perceives a difference between the 3 elementary schools. Itís a community that is homogeneous from one end to the other. So there is no tax payer anger. The maps get tweaked at the fringes - streets that tend to flip flop based on new enrollments. The district is good about giving families choices when their streets move if they already have a kid at one of the schools. It has never been a problem and people prefer this flux vs having overcrowded classrooms. But legally the district can pull a drastic change anytime it wants. Thatís the main lesson here. Buying a house in Mamaroneck only guarantees your kid a spot at a Mamaroneck school. It does not guarantee you any particular school.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:44 PM

815 posts, read 1,981,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjbukem73 View Post

Are they actually going to move kids already in the school system, or just re-assign new kids entering the system?

Old 02-25-2018, 07:59 PM

not sure if the plans are set yet

Old 02-26-2018, 11:47 AM
ruu ruu started this thread

7 posts, read 7,811 times
Thank you for your perspective! It's useful to know!
But the question remains: how do you compare schools, especially on elementary level? On the Larchmont example mentioned above: Central has 7 at greatschools, and Chatworth has 9 - what does this really mean in the quality of education and teachers and range of opportunities? Similarly, are Scarsdale schools so much better than Mamaroneck/Chatworth because they have score of 10? What do kids get at 10 school that they don't get at school rated 7, or 9? Thank you!

Old 02-26-2018, 01:10 PM

The competitiveness at Scarsdale prob makes it a 10 where as Murray and chatsworth are 9s. If you want a more laid back experience, you probably want to go to mamaroneck schools. Would suggest going to the school websites to look at the curriculums.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:13 PM

52 posts, read 32,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruu View Post
Thank you for your perspective! It's useful to know!
But the question remains: how do you compare schools, especially on elementary level? On the Larchmont example mentioned above: Central has 7 at greatschools, and Chatworth has 9 - what does this really mean in the quality of education and teachers and range of opportunities? Similarly, are Scarsdale schools so much better than Mamaroneck/Chatworth because they have score of 10? What do kids get at 10 school that they don't get at school rated 7, or 9? Thank you!
You can't measure teacher quality in any of these rankings. Demographic differences are driving so much of the test scores that you're really splitting hairs between a 10 and even a 6 in terms of school quality for your child. You won't see a 9 or 10 no matter how amazing the school is unless the area is uniformly affluent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or