U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 10:52 AM

815 posts, read 1,987,501 times

Advertisements

The Orienta neighborhood is amazing and the kids go to Central Elementary School. It's truly the nicest part of Mamaroneck.

What is your budget?

We just moved but if you need any info on Mamaroneck please feel free to send me a message!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,393 times
Larchmont/Mamaroneck might not have large numbers of ethnic diversity but it is a comfortable and open minded community. The school with the least diversity is Murray. Chatsworth also has a diverse population. I'm not sure if you are looking for an AA community when you say diverse, but none of the schools really have that. My daughter is also biracial (Afro-Caribbean and British) and she is the only girl of African ancestry in her class. There are two others in the entire grade level. There are other kids of color however-Asian, Latin American etc. That ssid, it is a lovely community and we love it here.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:38 PM

47 posts, read 49,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
The Orienta neighborhood is amazing and the kids go to Central Elementary School. It's truly the nicest part of Mamaroneck.

What is your budget?

We just moved but if you need any info on Mamaroneck please feel free to send me a message!
That is so nice... I may take you up on that. We are not looking to move until next year (oldest is currently 3 and we want to time our move to her starting kindergarten when she's 4 going on 5), but I much prefer to speak with residents about Mamaroneck as opposed to brokers! Budget is not entirely set yet - but hoping to stay under $800 to $850K, we think.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlarch View Post
Larchmont/Mamaroneck might not have large numbers of ethnic diversity but it is a comfortable and open minded community. The school with the least diversity is Murray. Chatsworth also has a diverse population. I'm not sure if you are looking for an AA community when you say diverse, but none of the schools really have that. My daughter is also biracial (Afro-Caribbean and British) and she is the only girl of African ancestry in her class. There are two others in the entire grade level. There are other kids of color however-Asian, Latin American etc. That ssid, it is a lovely community and we love it here.
This is actually exactly what I was wondering about. My kids are half-white, half-black (husband is of Haitian descent), and I don't necessarily expect my kids to be surrounded by others who look just like them, but as long as they are not the only non-white kids, that helps... So glad to hear you love it there! That really is encouraging. You said the school with the least diversity is Murray - I had thought I had been told that had a lot of diversity- am I wrong?

Old 03-13-2018, 04:21 PM

53 posts, read 34,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venoca View Post
This is actually exactly what I was wondering about. My kids are half-white, half-black (husband is of Haitian descent), and I don't necessarily expect my kids to be surrounded by others who look just like them, but as long as they are not the only non-white kids, that helps... So glad to hear you love it there! That really is encouraging. You said the school with the least diversity is Murray - I had thought I had been told that had a lot of diversity- am I wrong?
MAS is the most diverse, followed by Central. Murray and Chatsworth have nearly zero Hispanic or Black population. Housing prices follow suit with the neighborhoods zoned for more diverse schools being much cheaper. People pay a hefty premium for some reason for the other 2 schools.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_the_what View Post
MAS is the most diverse, followed by Central. Murray and Chatsworth have nearly zero Hispanic or Black population. Housing prices follow suit with the neighborhoods zoned for more diverse schools being much cheaper. People pay a hefty premium for some reason for the other 2 schools.
Oh, OK, thank you! These replies are so helpful - you guys have been great.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:36 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,159,922 times
There's also Rye Neck - its a very small school district next to Mamaroneck SD. It has about the same level of "American definition" diversity (skin color) (about 20-25% I think) - but it also has a lot of diversity in the broader sense, many children who were actually born abroad and are here with their ex-pat parents. There are a lot of international parents who live in the SD, similar to the heavy French presence in the Orienta part of Mamaroneck.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:05 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,328,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
There's also Rye Neck - its a very small school district next to Mamaroneck SD. It has about the same level of "American definition" diversity (skin color) (about 20-25% I think) - but it also has a lot of diversity in the broader sense, many children who were actually born abroad and are here with their ex-pat parents. There are a lot of international parents who live in the SD, similar to the heavy French presence in the Orienta part of Mamaroneck.
I live in Rye Neck section of Mamaroneck and love it. My son is in first grade and I would say his class is pretty diverse relatively speaking... He has 22 kids in his class (2 black, 3 Japanese, 1 Spanish, 1 French with 4 Jewish, my son being one of them).

Old 03-16-2018, 06:09 AM

195 posts, read 184,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I live in Rye Neck section of Mamaroneck and love it. My son is in first grade and I would say his class is pretty diverse relatively speaking... He has 22 kids in his class (2 black, 3 Japanese, 1 Spanish, 1 French with 4 Jewish, my son being one of them).
Second vote for Rye Neck here. We moved here three years ago and really like it!

Old 03-16-2018, 07:28 AM

Wow, Rye Neck sounds fantastic! I'm confused, though - when I put Rye Neck into Zillow, it just shows me Mamaroneck results... is it just a neighborhood in Mamaroneck? Does it have its own school district that's different from the 4 Mamaroneck elementary schools listed above? Sorry - I have only spent time in one town in Westchester, so this is all completely foreign to me... Great to hear how happy you all are in Rye Neck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or