Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:34 AM

376 posts, read 598,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by venoca View Post
Wow, Rye Neck sounds fantastic! I'm confused, though - when I put Rye Neck into Zillow, it just shows me Mamaroneck results... is it just a neighborhood in Mamaroneck? Does it have its own school district that's different from the 4 Mamaroneck elementary schools listed above? Sorry - I have only spent time in one town in Westchester, so this is all completely foreign to me... Great to hear how happy you all are in Rye Neck.
Rye Neck is a school district, there is no PO address corresponding to it. It's roughly split 50/50 in eastern part of Mamaroneck and Rye City. The part in M'neck is substantially cheaper than the part in Rye. The rest of M'neck together with Larchmont has a separate school district. Same for Rye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 07:36 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venoca View Post
Wow, Rye Neck sounds fantastic! I'm confused, though - when I put Rye Neck into Zillow, it just shows me Mamaroneck results... is it just a neighborhood in Mamaroneck? Does it have its own school district that's different from the 4 Mamaroneck elementary schools listed above? Sorry - I have only spent time in one town in Westchester, so this is all completely foreign to me... Great to hear how happy you all are in Rye Neck.
Rye Neck is the school district, not a Town. Most houses that are zoned for Rye Neck are in Mamaroneck (or to get confusing located in Town of Rye, Village of Mamaroneck). Some houses in the City of Rye are also zoned for Rye Neck. So when searching Rye Neck you will find both houses located in Mamaroneck and Rye.
Rye Neck is a small school, think private school setting. Most grades average about 100/110 kids per grade. If you find any houses you are interested in that are located in this school district feel free to message me any questions.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:50 AM

47 posts, read 97,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Rye Neck is the school district, not a Town. Most houses that are zoned for Rye Neck are in Mamaroneck (or to get confusing located in Town of Rye, Village of Mamaroneck). Some houses in the City of Rye are also zoned for Rye Neck. So when searching Rye Neck you will find both houses located in Mamaroneck and Rye.
Rye Neck is a small school, think private school setting. Most grades average about 100/110 kids per grade. If you find any houses you are interested in that are located in this school district feel free to message me any questions.
thank you!!!

Old 03-16-2018, 07:54 AM

OK, got it!

Old 03-16-2018, 08:56 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Rye Neck is actually quite old - the name goes back at least to 1720 where there is a Charter of Rye Neck. But practically speaking for your purposes the SD is East of the Mamaroneck river and abuts Rye at about a line with the old Jay Mansion. The schools are Daniel Warren through 2nd grade, FE Bellows 3rd-5th, and then the Middle school and Rye Neck High school share a campus and sports fields. Its tiny - a little jewel of a district. Move-in condition houses usually sell very quickly though.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:58 AM

What incredibly helpful insight... Thank you so much!

Old 03-18-2018, 06:52 PM

276 posts, read 398,247 times
If you want to do a search using Zillow, I'm afraid you'll have to design a custom map that you draw yourself. Rye Neck has a portion of its boundaries in Mamaroneck (most of the Village of Mamaroneck) and a portion in a small part of the City of Rye (all of Greenhaven and part of The Preserve neighborhoods). When Zillow does a boundary of Rye Neck, it excludes the neighborhoods in the City of Rye. You can see a better (although still not perfect) map of the school district Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok. I used this to draw a custom map in Zillow in a saved search that I used to do my search three years ago.

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2018 at 06:08 AM..

Old 03-19-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
Rye Neck is a school district, there is no PO address corresponding to it. It's roughly split 50/50 in eastern part of Mamaroneck and Rye City. The part in M'neck is substantially cheaper than the part in Rye. The rest of M'neck together with Larchmont has a separate school district. Same for Rye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
If you want to do a search using Zillow, I'm afraid you'll have to design a custom map that you draw yourself. Rye Neck has a portion of its boundaries in Mamaroneck (most of the Village of Mamaroneck) and a portion in a small part of the City of Rye (all of Greenhaven and part of The Preserve neighborhoods). When Zillow does a boundary of Rye Neck, it excludes the neighborhoods in the City of Rye. You can see a better (although still not perfect) map of the school district Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok. I used this to draw a custom map in Zillow in a saved search that I used to do my search three years ago.
I had no idea you could even do that. Thank you!!

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2018 at 06:08 AM..

Old 03-19-2018, 02:55 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,877 times
Just an FYI since no one else has mentioned it, your budget is going to be tight in a lot of Mamaroneck and most of Rye Neck. Not sure what kind of house you're looking for, but there are websites where you can do house searches by school district, which should give you an idea of price points.

Also, lots of Mamaroneck is in a flood plain. Floods happen. Make sure you look into this for any property you eventually look at.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:50 PM

396 posts, read 435,318 times
Mamaroneck school district encompasses Larchmont village (Chatsworth school), Town of Mamaroneck (have Larchmont PO's, Murray and Central School) and the village of Mamaroneck (Mamaroneck Ave and Central). Rye Neck is also the village of Mamaroneck. You will have to search by school district, rather than town. These two districts are very different, but both excellent. The main difference is size. Rye Neck is small and Mamaroneck school district is large. As far as diversity, your children will be fine in any of the schools. I would say Murray is the least diverse, Chatsworth has a large international community, but mostly white, Mamk Ave school is about 65-70 percent Hispanic. Central is probably the most diverse, with 70 percent white and the most economic diversity. A good portion of Central comes from Orienta, which is one of the district's most expensive neighborhoods, but many come from rental apartments. There is every culture under the sun at Central. Like a mini United Nations. I personally, think it is the best school in the district. Nonetheless, all 4 elementary schools feed into Hommocks. But, good luck finding a house for under 850k. There is very limited inventory in the district for under the one million mark. You need a good realtor and will have to be ready to put offers in asap. If you choose Mamaroneck school district, realize that Larchmont/Mamaroneck are pretty much one in the same when it comes to schools, rec programs, Taxes, camps, etc....It is a great community and you cant beat the views! Best of Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County