U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 07:29 AM

195 posts, read 184,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by venoca View Post
I had no idea you could even do that. Thank you!!
I should also add the Houlihan Lawrence allows you to search by school district. I used their site as well when we were looking in the district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 10:28 AM

47 posts, read 49,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Just an FYI since no one else has mentioned it, your budget is going to be tight in a lot of Mamaroneck and most of Rye Neck. Not sure what kind of house you're looking for, but there are websites where you can do house searches by school district, which should give you an idea of price points.

Also, lots of Mamaroneck is in a flood plain. Floods happen. Make sure you look into this for any property you eventually look at.
I had no idea about the flood plain. This is extremely helpful advice. Thanks, streetsmart.

As for what kind of house we're looking for: Not a big one!

Old 04-03-2018, 08:50 PM

36 posts, read 17,695 times
Mamaroneck is pretty diverse compared to other Westchester towns. About a third of its residence are minorities. I suggest you try Suburbs 101 - One stop guide for New Yorkers moving to Westchester County, NY and Fairfield County, CT. It is a guide to moving to Westchester.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKate View Post
Mamaroneck is pretty diverse compared to other Westchester towns. About a third of its residence are minorities. I suggest you try Suburbs 101 - One stop guide for New Yorkers moving to Westchester County, NY and Fairfield County, CT. It is a guide to moving to Westchester.
Great site! Thank you so much. That's extremely helpful.

Question for all in terms of schools: My husband was asking me about Rye Neck schools vs. MAS elementary - he's concerned that the ratings are lower for MAS. But we really want to send our kids to a diverse school. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on the lower ratings for MAS? I know there is a large ESL population there that may skew the numbers. But any other thoughts?

Thank you!

Old 04-06-2018, 06:18 PM

53 posts, read 34,045 times
MAS is an excellent school. It's student population is about 50% Hispanic. Plenty of kids for whom English is a second language. Check out the NY state report cards on the schools which split test results by race / ESL / poverty line status. The non-ESL kids do just as well as the ones at the other elementary schools in the district.

Go tour the school. It probably has the mix of diversity and quality education you are looking for.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_the_what View Post
MAS is an excellent school. It's student population is about 50% Hispanic. Plenty of kids for whom English is a second language. Check out the NY state report cards on the schools which split test results by race / ESL / poverty line status. The non-ESL kids do just as well as the ones at the other elementary schools in the district.

Go tour the school. It probably has the mix of diversity and quality education you are looking for.
That's great to hear. I went up to Mamaroneck a couple of weeks ago to visit, and I absolutely loved it. Unfortunately MAS would not permit me to tour that day as they were doing state testing - but I did get to tour Daniel Warren, and I was blown away by the facility and teachers. I'll go back up next month to tour MAS.

Separately... someone who I met up there told me that the Rye Neck school district is "small and kids are very competitive" in it - but her daughter graduated from there like 20 years ago. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I didn't visit F.E. Bellows, but Daniel Warren was so beautiful that it almost felt like a private school - I was wondering if the vibe there still feels like a supportive public school, or if it is more like a competitive private school atmosphere, and this person was describing it to be.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:03 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,328,419 times
Quote:
That's great to hear. I went up to Mamaroneck a couple of weeks ago to visit, and I absolutely loved it. Unfortunately MAS would not permit me to tour that day as they were doing state testing - but I did get to tour Daniel Warren, and I was blown away by the facility and teachers. I'll go back up next month to tour MAS.

Separately... someone who I met up there told me that the Rye Neck school district is "small and kids are very competitive" in it - but her daughter graduated from there like 20 years ago. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I didn't visit F.E. Bellows, but Daniel Warren was so beautiful that it almost felt like a private school - I was wondering if the vibe there still feels like a supportive public school, or if it is more like a competitive private school atmosphere, and this person was describing it to be.
I have a son in first grade at Daniel Warren. He loves it and my husband and I love it. It is small and the kids basically get a private school education. However, it is very much a public school. Daniel Warren is for grades K-2 so I would not call it "competitive" per se as they are so young! However, MANY kids get special help in certain areas they struggle with. My son does not at this time but many of my friends kids are pulled out of class for specialized help in reading, math etc.. whichever subjects they may need extra help in.
I really could not be happier with the school so far. Both of my sons teachers that he has had have gone ABOVE and BEYOND what is in their job description. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
I will add that we absolutely love living in Mamaroneck. It is such a great community. We take advantage of all the activities they have at the Harbor for families, the block parties, movie nights on the beach etc. It really is such a wonderful place to live.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I have a son in first grade at Daniel Warren. He loves it and my husband and I love it. It is small and the kids basically get a private school education. However, it is very much a public school. Daniel Warren is for grades K-2 so I would not call it "competitive" per se as they are so young! However, MANY kids get special help in certain areas they struggle with. My son does not at this time but many of my friends kids are pulled out of class for specialized help in reading, math etc.. whichever subjects they may need extra help in.
I really could not be happier with the school so far. Both of my sons teachers that he has had have gone ABOVE and BEYOND what is in their job description. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
I will add that we absolutely love living in Mamaroneck. It is such a great community. We take advantage of all the activities they have at the Harbor for families, the block parties, movie nights on the beach etc. It really is such a wonderful place to live.
Lisa, this is exactly the type of supportive environment I hope my children will get to go to school in - and that's great to hear that it's not competitive! Since I only visited Daniel Warren, I was scared this person meant even at that young of an age, it's competitive. Good to hear it's not. Thank you so much for the reply and I may take you up on the offer to ask more questions!

Old 04-23-2018, 09:22 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,159,922 times
Quote:
Lisa, this is exactly the type of supportive environment I hope my children will get to go to school in - and that's great to hear that it's not competitive! Since I only visited Daniel Warren, I was scared this person meant even at that young of an age, it's competitive. Good to hear it's not. Thank you so much for the reply and I may take you up on the offer to ask more questions!
Rye Neck is very community-oriented with big participation in a small school district. They just had their spring fair the past Saturday - look at the map in the link below to see all of the things that were going on - most of the performers were kids from 4th grade through 12th. Sports participation is also at a very high level for school districts. There is a lot of enrichment outside just academics. Its not a pressure-cooker at all - more emphasis on being well-rounded - and the school district as a whole has around 25% non-white diversity.

https://ryeneckspringfair.wixsite.com/springfairtab

Old 04-23-2018, 09:31 AM

522 posts, read 426,896 times
Quote:

Keep in mind that supportive and competitive need not be mutually exclusive. In any event, these are vague terms that may mean different things to different people, so be careful about making decisions based on anecdotical input from someone you don't know well. For instance, I don't understand the aversion to a so-called competitive school - maybe because I don't entirely know what someone means when they say "oh, that school is too competitive." For me, I want my kids going to a school where nearly every kid does their homework, studies for all tests, and attends all classes, and I want them coming from families that require them to do this. This creates a school culture where this is deemed normal behavior, and its therefore easier for me to get my kid to do these things. And it makes it very likely that my kids' friend group will value these behaviors, making it more likely that my kids will also. If this is what people mean by "competitive" than I guess I like competitive schools. I can't imagine a parent wanting a school where the dominant culture was something else.

Also note that this is in the context of HS and MS. I especially don't know how an elementary school can be competitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or