Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 02:07 PM

31 posts, read 35,569 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are a family of four who is looking to relocate some time in the next 1.5-2 years from the Bronx to Southern Westchester. In particular, I have been looking at Ardsley, New Rochelle, Irvington, and Dobbs Ferry.

Because we have kids (both 10 year old girls), moving to an area with good schools is of the utmost importance. I know Ardlsey has good schools, but I read that otherwise, the town is small with lots of rush-hour traffic. Conversely, I am not sure about New Rochelle schools, but I like the area a lot.

Nightlife isn't entirely important, because as it stands, we don't go out very much. I would say more importantly, is what the town has to offer the kids- ie. parks, playground, etc.

We are a diverse family, and looking for a neighborhood that matches that.

Any advice on the matter would be super helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 09:26 PM

376 posts, read 598,709 times
For a combination of diversity and good schools, I would pick Tuckahoe and Rye Neck, perhaps also some parts of Harrison. Ardsley is not diverse, although their school is very good. It has no business district but I'm not sure what's the big deal, one can easily drive to other rivertowns or even White Plains. These rivertowns aren't like real towns, they are more like very tiny neighborhoods.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:21 AM

31 posts, read 35,569 times
Hi Yiplong,

Thanks for the tip.

Forgot to mention that I work in midtown Manhattan.

Would your recommendation be the same with that in mind?

Old 05-08-2018, 07:24 AM

132 posts, read 170,848 times
My wife and I really liked Irvington. Good school district, nice town and neighborhoods, easy commute to downtown. We ended up moving to Croton instead because we could get 2 acres and a newer house for the price that would have gotten us an older home on ~0.3 acres in the rivertowns.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:12 AM

222 posts, read 540,701 times
Pretty impressive:

New Rochelle Class of 2018 Pulls Off Ivy League Sweep | Pelham Daily Voice

Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,780 times
All of those towns are similar to one another except for New Rochelle, which is more urban and a much larger and diverse school district, with both the good and bad that entails. Most shoppers would not be considering both New Rochelle and the other towns, so that should be your first decision point. Irvington & Dobbs are both on the Hudson, New Rochelle on the Sound, with Ardsley being land-locked and without much of a town. You might want to add Hastings to your search as well, and possibly Tarrytown if the more urban route appeals more to you.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:02 PM

376 posts, read 598,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_four View Post
Hi Yiplong,

Thanks for the tip.

Forgot to mention that I work in midtown Manhattan.

Would your recommendation be the same with that in mind?
Surely, all these towns have excellent commute to midtown. Buying a house within walking distance to the trains would be ideal.

Now I find the comparison between New Roc and the river towns unhelpful. New Roc is 2x larger than all of the river towns combined.

I also don't see how it matters that Ardsley is landlocked. It's not like folks in Irvington put up barricades to prevent others from getting to the Hudson. That's like saying midtown is landlocked but midtown east is on the water. Technically correct but immaterial unless one is looking for a water front property.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:28 PM

1,183 posts, read 707,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
Glad to hear it - impressive too. They need some good news as the last year has been a horror show for the school district.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:45 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
White Plains is known for lower taxes. My son went to Archbishop Stepinac High School in White Plains. Very diverse, Catholic and Muslim students. Some kids commuted from the Bronx. I loved the school

Old 05-08-2018, 01:14 PM

987 posts, read 1,016,941 times
White Plains would be an excellent choice. I would choose that district over New Rochelle in a heart beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County