U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 08:25 AM

277 posts, read 559,900 times

Advertisements

Also White Plains...comparatively low taxes, although home prices have been creeping up. But there are a lot of different neighborhoods to choose from at all price points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 09:03 AM

1,568 posts, read 2,746,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
Good point. They're actually barely in the 1% according to this article from 3 years ago:
New York's Top 1% Earns More Than Those In Most States | Armonk Daily Voice

In NY as a whole, you need to make $506k to be in the 1%..I'm assuming for Westchester specifically, it's a lot higher.

This is part of what drives me crazy about our federal tax code. I'm in the highest tax bracket, because by national standards, I'm filthy rich. But adjusted for cost of living here, I'm basically average - or slightly above. I wish the tax code somehow took this into account - although it could get very complicated.
That is because NY has the smartest and richest people. Bad news is it costs a lot of money to make ends meet. The good news is heaven forbid if you go to a Manhattan hospital the doctor knows what the eff she is talking about.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:23 AM

69 posts, read 49,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
I don't understand why you need to spend $1.2-$1.4 million to get what you want. You can buy a fantastic home with 4+ bedrooms, 3+ baths with top of the line kitchen and 2 car garage in the north-end (i.e. better part) of New Rochelle for $850K to $950K. Taxes for such a property will be around $25K. Also, you can always buy something cheaper and renovate to your liking. Full scale renovations on a 4 bedroom home with 3 baths will cost between $100K and $150K.

If New Rochelle schools are not good enough, then go to Eastchester. They have 9-10 rated schools. You will only pay $100K to $150K premium to what you would have to pay in New Rochelle. Both towns are a 35 minute ride to mid-town Manhattan on Metro-north.
Have you shopped for a home recently? I don't think people in Westchester looking for "good public schools" would include New Rochelle on that list (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/06/n...tegration.html). I didn't look at Eastchester but starting last fall I began looking for houses under $1M in "good school districts" (Irvington/Edgemont/Scarsdale/Rye Neck). For under $1M you will get a 3 bed/2 bath house with somewhere around 2,000 square feet which may or may not have a garage on 0.2-0.3 acres. The kitchen or bathrooms (or both in many cases) will not have been updated since the 60's-80's. $750k gets you a house that needs to be completely gutted, $950k gets you a fixer upper that "just" needs a couple major renovations. That is the sad reality right now even after we lost the tax deduction for the $20k+ in property taxes.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:10 AM

217 posts, read 405,406 times
Plenty of good homes in good school districts for under a million. What drives me nuts is when people complain about the lack of space, yard size, sqft, etc.? It's Westchester county, it's just not set up like that. There's no sprawling new developments with two car garages like you see upstate or in the Midwest. The towns were set up over a hundred years ago mostly before people even had cars.

Also, compared to the city you're getting a deal. You're getting good schools, 3 maybe 4 brs, 30 minute commute to GC (about the same time it takes to get there from the UES), a yard, and good schools; whereas, in the city or Brooklyn you're lucky to get a studio, in the Bronx or Queens a three bed apt at best.

Last edited by Westchesterwannabe; 05-17-2018 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-17-2018, 10:50 AM

102 posts, read 52,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
Plenty of good homes in good school districts for under a million. What drives me nuts is when people complain about the lack of space, yard size, sqft, etc.? It's Westchester county, it's just not set up like that. There's no sprawling new developments with two car garages like you see upstate or in the Midwest. The towns were set up over a hundred years ago mostly before people even had cars.

Also, compared to the city you're getting a deal. You're getting good schools, 3 maybe 4 brs, 30 minute commute to GC (about the same time it takes to get there from the UES), a yard, and good schools; whereas, in the city or Brooklyn you're lucky to get a studio, in the Bronx or Queens a three bed apt at best.
You can get your yard space and long driveway and privacy as well in the northern part of the county. And decent schools. Somers, Yorktown, North Salem, Katonah-Lewisboro, Croton...even if your budget is more in the 600-700k range you can still find yourself a 3br on a nice piece of property up there...the county doesn't end at I-287.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:20 AM

138 posts, read 59,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
+1; You're getting a bargain when compared to living in NYC/Boroughs. Also, with 650K in income, NYC city tax alone will add up to something like $24K per year. In addition to this city tax, you will also be paying real estate taxes. On a $1MM home in Queens or Brooklyn, for example, that real estate tax will be around $9K per year. Also, good luck getting a livable house in a decent school district in either Brooklyn or Queens for under $1MM.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:30 AM

138 posts, read 59,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNYCfast View Post
Have you shopped for a home recently? I don't think people in Westchester looking for "good public schools" would include New Rochelle on that list (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/06/n...tegration.html). I didn't look at Eastchester but starting last fall I began looking for houses under $1M in "good school districts" (Irvington/Edgemont/Scarsdale/Rye Neck). For under $1M you will get a 3 bed/2 bath house with somewhere around 2,000 square feet which may or may not have a garage on 0.2-0.3 acres. The kitchen or bathrooms (or both in many cases) will not have been updated since the 60's-80's. $750k gets you a house that needs to be completely gutted, $950k gets you a fixer upper that "just" needs a couple major renovations. That is the sad reality right now even after we lost the tax deduction for the $20k+ in property taxes.
I know what I am talking about. You can get everything OP listed for under $1MM, even in the "good school districts".

Old 05-17-2018, 11:46 AM

1,568 posts, read 2,746,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashowofhands View Post
You can get your yard space and long driveway and privacy as well in the northern part of the county. And decent schools. Somers, Yorktown, North Salem, Katonah-Lewisboro, Croton...even if your budget is more in the 600-700k range you can still find yourself a 3br on a nice piece of property up there...the county doesn't end at I-287.
But OMG I have to ride the train? For an hour???

Old 05-17-2018, 12:06 PM

669 posts, read 523,593 times
A top-ranked district would be Edgemont, Scarsdale, Bronxville, Rye, Blind Brook (Rye Brook), Armonk, etc.. all of which would cost over $1M for anything decent. I don't think New Rochelle, Eastchester, or Somers districts are relevant to the OP.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:14 PM

72 posts, read 71,565 times
Rankings can be largely subjective, but these are helpful: https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...ter-county-ny/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or