U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 02:18 PM

143 posts, read 61,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
A top-ranked district would be Edgemont, Scarsdale, Bronxville, Rye, Blind Brook (Rye Brook), Armonk, etc.. all of which would cost over $1M for anything decent. I don't think New Rochelle, Eastchester, or Somers districts are relevant to the OP.
A 15 second search online returned this:

https://www.redfin.com/NY/Scarsdale/.../home/20056172

5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2 car garage, in "good school district", under $1MM asking price. What is missing in this listing from the OP's list of requirements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 02:32 PM

278 posts, read 560,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post

5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2 car garage, in "good school district", under $1MM asking price. What is missing in this listing from the OP's list of requirements?
I'm willing to bet something is wrong with this house - they have priced it significantly under market value. Or they need to sell it fast for some reason. Instead of looking at current listings, look at past sales. I only saw 2 or 3, 3BR houses that sold under 1MM in the past year in Scarsdale. Don't have time to look at the other areas, but I'm sure it's the same. Don't kid yourself, $1MM is really nothing in these towns.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:39 PM

143 posts, read 61,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
I'm willing to bet something is wrong with this house - they have priced it significantly under market value. Or they need to sell it fast for some reason. Instead of looking at current listings, look at past sales. I only saw 2 or 3, 3BR houses that sold under 1MM in the past year in Scarsdale. Don't have time to look at the other areas, but I'm sure it's the same. Don't kid yourself, $1MM is really nothing in these towns.
Are you serious? What about all of these:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/recentl...94_rect/11_zm/

Old 05-17-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Are you serious? What about all of these:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/recentl...94_rect/11_zm/
I was looking at a min of 2500 sq ft in my search. You also have to be careful in the search of what school district you're looking at. I checked a few in your results, and a bunch were Scarsdale mailing address, but either New Rochelle or Greenburgh school districts.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:17 PM

70 posts, read 49,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
I was looking at a min of 2500 sq ft in my search. You also have to be careful in the search of what school district you're looking at. I checked a few in your results, and a bunch were Scarsdale mailing address, but either New Rochelle or Greenburgh school districts.
Also click on some of the listings and look at the pictures, particularly anything under $900k. You'll see kitchens and bathrooms that need to be gutted, nasty carpets that need to be torn up and replaced. Not to mention all the houses without central air. Which is exactly what I said in my previous post, if you want to be in a good school district for under $1M be prepared to do some renovation work. The further down the price-point you go the more of a gut job it will be.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:18 PM

His search is also including houses from 2015, 2016, etc. Need to narrow down to the at least the last year. There's not nothing, but I expect there to be very little. And what little there is, most likely has something about the house that makes it less desirable. Could be on a busy street, next to a highway, needs excessive work, etc.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:43 PM

4 posts, read 1,523 times
My husband and I are retired...we live on $33,000 in Ky.

No, we don't have vacations, new clothes, new cars, sculptured nails, hair colored weekly, cable tv(Roku, yes), high tech phones(I have a tracfone and still have hundreds of minutes saved)but I have managed to save 10K for emergencies and really don't need/want a lot. Husband has VA due to agent orange exposure, so no health care premiums for him and Medicare for me. Oh, no prescriptions or health problems for me.
I like my life here.

Oh, our house cost 150,000 and it's only 2150 sq feet with one acre, 2 car garage which raises to 2700 sq ft.--but I'm happy with it.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:08 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,751,712 times
Quote:

Redfin is ridiculously low. They valued the house next door to me for $426k. The owner put it for sale on Thursday and had five offers by Sunday. Sold it for over asking @ $735k.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:28 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,106,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashowofhands View Post
Yep. Why do you think so many people commute from Putnam, Dutchess, Orange, and beyond, to their Westchester and NYC jobs? You need to be making money hand-over-fist just to afford the bare minimum in Westchester, and aside from well-rated schools (which, granted, are a big deal if you're raising kids), you get so little for what you pay in Westchester. Notice how many people move out of the county as soon as all the kids are out of school? Even those who managed to buy at a time when prices were somewhat reasonable are now struggling to keep up with the constantly rising taxes.

I understand that location is everything and you have to pay to play and all of that...but I don't think it's fair at all that an actively working family making "only" $100k-200k should have to make a commute of 1hr+ each way because they've been priced out of anything closer.
yup.

there are a few issues at hand.

one: cost of real estate in general is just rising quicker than inflation and wages.

two: Westchester is particularly expensive because it attracts the big law, finance, etc. types that want to escape city living and raise children in the suburbs.

three: many towns have their own services which leads to high taxes.

in short, it's an expensive place to live due to NYC proximity and "amenities".

in my honest opinion, unless you're here for family reasons or have an excellent job where proximity to NYC is essential, it makes relatively little sense to put down roots here.

everything here is a struggle for the middle class. and, while a little nitpick, fighting crowds and paying for parking in most areas is just rage-inducing.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:41 AM

40 posts, read 37,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
yup.

there are a few issues at hand.

one: cost of real estate in general is just rising quicker than inflation and wages.

two: Westchester is particularly expensive because it attracts the big law, finance, etc. types that want to escape city living and raise children in the suburbs.

three: many towns have their own services which leads to high taxes.

in short, it's an expensive place to live due to NYC proximity and "amenities".

in my honest opinion, unless you're here for family reasons or have an excellent job where proximity to NYC is essential, it makes relatively little sense to put down roots here.

everything here is a struggle for the middle class. and, while a little nitpick, fighting crowds and paying for parking in most areas is just rage-inducing.

I don't think you're nitpicking. The basic question becomes: Is it worth it to live in close proximity to NYC and close to the beach?

In exchange you sacrifice a lot of daily quality of life, like:
-the constant headache of looking for parking
-train stations that often don't have enough parking, forcing you to either go early, pay for a cab or get a ride
-a lack of basic town amenities that are considered givens in most places in the U.S.: sidewalks, buried electrical wires, SCHOOL BUSES.
-homes that lack basic amenities that are considered givens in most places in the U.S.: first- or second-floor laundry rooms, mudrooms, lovely finished basements that aren't wet, decent garages, updated heat and cooling, updated, open kitchens and decent-sized bathrooms

You're paying more not just for your sub-optimal home, but also for everything you do just about every day: restaurants, camps, parking, entrance fees to the zoo.

You gain lovely surroundings, access to amazing theater and arts, interactions with interesting, highly-educated, well-traveled people.

worth it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or