Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 06:49 AM

40 posts, read 69,554 times

Advertisements

Hi -- A very specific question I'm wondering if anyone can answer: If you live in the Rye Neck school district--specifically in Greenhaven--do you have Rye resident train station parking rights or Mamaroneck resident train station parking rights? The postal address is Rye NY, and I thought that meant your resident train station is Rye, and your city services are Rye. But I had read on this forum that the Greenhaven neighborhood is the portion of Rye that's part of Mamaroneck village, whatever the heck that means.

Does anyone know?

Also, if anyone happens to live in Greenhaven--Do you like it? Are there lots of kids around? Is it a family-friendly vibe, with people interacting and kids riding bikes together and all of that? I'm guessing kids must walk to school together, since everyone's headed in the same direction in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 08:17 AM

276 posts, read 398,165 times
We live in Greenhaven and love it! Lots of questions here, so I'll give it a shot:
  • Train Station Rights. I can't say that I know with certainty, since I've been on the waiting list for Mamaroneck AND Rye for a a few years now. So it kind of doesn't matter, since you'll be waiting for a while anyway. I park at the meters for now. Since the MNR parking lots are administered by the same body (LAZ), it really doesn't matter where you live. HOWEVER, each train station does have additional lots adjacent to the MNR lots that are run by the local municipality; for these lots, it DOES matter where you live. For Greenhaven, you would get priority at the lots owned by the City of Rye. I will say that I don't know many Greenhaven residents who use the Rye station; most use either Mamaroneck or Harrison, both of which are closer.
  • Municipal Services. As to municipal services, it is indeed all City of Rye. Even the school taxes are collected by the City of Rye. (I assume that school taxes for Mamaroneck residents are collected by the Village of Mamaroneck.) The Greenhaven neighborhood is not part of Mamaroneck Village; Greenhaven and Mamaroneck Village form the Rye Neck School District, so some people mistakenly assume Greenhaven is part of the Village.
  • Kids. Finally, we have the whole range of ages of kids in our neighborhood. We go to the Greenhaven beach party, have block parties within our own street, and our kids walk to school and generally go about their way.
Hope this helps!

Old 06-18-2018, 10:30 AM

973 posts, read 1,410,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demographer View Post
Hi -- A very specific question I'm wondering if anyone can answer: If you live in the Rye Neck school district--specifically in Greenhaven--do you have Rye resident train station parking rights or Mamaroneck resident train station parking rights? The postal address is Rye NY, and I thought that meant your resident train station is Rye, and your city services are Rye. But I had read on this forum that the Greenhaven neighborhood is the portion of Rye that's part of Mamaroneck village, whatever the heck that means.

Does anyone know?

Also, if anyone happens to live in Greenhaven--Do you like it? Are there lots of kids around? Is it a family-friendly vibe, with people interacting and kids riding bikes together and all of that? I'm guessing kids must walk to school together, since everyone's headed in the same direction in the morning.
A couple of thoughts -

A postal address means nothing and gets you nothing. Just ignore them. Otherwise, they add to your confusion.

Which school district you are in has no bearing on your eligibility for residential parking in a municipal lot.

Regarding something like resident train station parking rights, its very simple - you are eligible for residential parking at a municipal lot when you live in that municipality. You are not eligible for residential parking at a municipal lot if you live outside of the municipality. (I am ignoring for the moment the fact that some municipalities grant parking to non-residents often at a larger fee and/or with some sort of junior status - "residential parking" means here that you are eligible for parking as a resident)

So ignore postal addresses and school districts and find out whether your prospective home is in the City of Rye? If the answer is yes, than you would be considered a resident for purposes of any City of Rye owned/maintained municipal lots. If the answer is no, than you need to find out what Town it is in, and whether or not it is also in an incorporated Village. You will be eligible for municipal parking (to the extent it exists) in any municipality the house is in.

Be careful about making assumptions about neighborhoods (such as Greenhaven). Such are not formally defined, and different people may have different ideas about what is in, and not in, the neighborhood.

The City of Rye, being an incorporated city, can not have an incorporated Village within it. So if your prospective home is in the City of Rye, than it can not be in the Village of Mamaroneck. Contrast this with the Town of Rye. If its in the Town of Rye, than it can also be in the Village of Mamaroneck. The Town of Rye, I believe, is 100% incorporated by Village - either Mamaroneck, Rye Brook, or Port Chester???

Last edited by 987ABC; 06-18-2018 at 10:44 AM..

Old 06-18-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
We live in Greenhaven and love it! Lots of questions here, so I'll give it a shot:
  • Train Station Rights. I can't say that I know with certainty, since I've been on the waiting list for Mamaroneck AND Rye for a a few years now. So it kind of doesn't matter, since you'll be waiting for a while anyway. I park at the meters for now. Since the MNR parking lots are administered by the same body (LAZ), it really doesn't matter where you live. HOWEVER, each train station does have additional lots adjacent to the MNR lots that are run by the local municipality; for these lots, it DOES matter where you live. For Greenhaven, you would get priority at the lots owned by the City of Rye. I will say that I don't know many Greenhaven residents who use the Rye station; most use either Mamaroneck or Harrison, both of which are closer.
  • Municipal Services. As to municipal services, it is indeed all City of Rye. Even the school taxes are collected by the City of Rye. (I assume that school taxes for Mamaroneck residents are collected by the Village of Mamaroneck.) The Greenhaven neighborhood is not part of Mamaroneck Village; Greenhaven and Mamaroneck Village form the Rye Neck School District, so some people mistakenly assume Greenhaven is part of the Village.
  • Kids. Finally, we have the whole range of ages of kids in our neighborhood. We go to the Greenhaven beach party, have block parties within our own street, and our kids walk to school and generally go about their way.
Hope this helps!
I know what you mean regarding the collection of taxes, and you are 100% correct, but many people reading this who are new to the area (and after all, that is largely who this forum serves) may be confused, especially since they will be learning that school districts are separate geographic subdivisions that collect their own taxes to fund the schools. As you know, the City of Rye just acts as a collecting agent. The taxes are set by the Rye Neck School Board, ultimately received by them, and spent by them. The school taxes will be the same whether they are collected by the City of Rye or the Town of Rye and/or Village of Mamaroneck.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:22 AM

These answers have been really helpful. I appreciate it. This is the part where it gets really crazy:

Quote:
The City of Rye, being an incorporated city, can not have an incorporated Village within it. So if your prospective home is in the City of Rye, than it can not be in the Village of Mamaroneck. Contrast this with the Town of Rye. If its in the Town of Rye, than it can also be in the Village of Mamaroneck. The Town of Rye, I believe, is 100% incorporated by Village - either Mamaroneck, Rye Brook, or Port Chester???
A town can be in a village, but a city can't, but either way, your mailing address could be something different... Lordy. It's bananas.

For those of you who live in that area, is there anything that's really walkable from there? Or are you mostly getting in your car to go to Mamaroneck Ave. and Harbor Island and things like that?

Old 06-18-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
These answers have been really helpful. I appreciate it. This is the part where it gets really crazy:

A town can be in a village, but a city can't, but either way, your mailing address could be something different... Lordy. It's bananas.

For those of you who live in that area, is there anything that's really walkable from there? Or are you mostly getting in your car to go to Mamaroneck Ave. and Harbor Island and things like that?
You have it backwards. A city can not have within its borders an incorporated Village. But a Town can.

So if a house is in the Town of XYZ, it "may" also be within one (but not more than one) incorporated village. But it may also NOT be within any incorporated village, in which case, people usually refer to it as "unincorporated Town of XYZ".

And yes, mailing address means absolutely nothing - except to the Post Office. And its not really bananas - its quite simple. For each prospective home you are looking at, just fill in following blanks -
School District = ______
Town = _______ OR City = ___________ (if you have an answer for both of these, you are doing it wrong)
Village = ______ OR Not Applicable.

In my opinion, the most important location-aspect of a house is its school district. Such will constitute about 2/3 of your property tax bill and will have the most impact on your home's value. Especially if you have kids, it will define where you live more than anything else.

And just repeat to yourself a thousand times - "ignore mailing addresses ... ignore mailing addresses ...."

Old 06-18-2018, 12:12 PM

276 posts, read 398,165 times
Quote:
While we have walked to downtown Mamaroneck or Harrison before (once each), but it's much more practical to ride bikes, which we do regularly. I wouldn't say it's "easy" to walk to anything other than to school, which is quite reasonable. Walking isn't hard, because the path is quite straight, but it's far enough that it can be time consuming.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
While we have walked to downtown Mamaroneck or Harrison before (once each), but it's much more practical to ride bikes, which we do regularly. I wouldn't say it's "easy" to walk to anything other than to school, which is quite reasonable. Walking isn't hard, because the path is quite straight, but it's far enough that it can be time consuming.

Thanks @KensingtonPark. Do you *feel* like a Rye resident--do you use Rye amenities like the arts center and the nature center and things like that? I'm a little concerned about my kids feeling like it's no man's land--for instance if lots of kids at school are going to Mamaroneck town camps and things because they technically live in Mamaroneck. But maybe that's overthinking it.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks @KensingtonPark. Do you *feel* like a Rye resident--do you use Rye amenities like the arts center and the nature center and things like that? I'm a little concerned about my kids feeling like it's no man's land--for instance if lots of kids at school are going to Mamaroneck town camps and things because they technically live in Mamaroneck. But maybe that's overthinking it.
I don’t believe that their are any properties in the Rye Neck School District that are in the Town of Mamaroneck so no one should be eligible for Town of Mamaroneck programs. There will instead be properties that are in the Village of Mamaroneck, but those properties will be in the Town of Rye. I don’t know what programming is provided by the Village of Mamaroneck, but typically Villages provide less of this than Towns do.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:12 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
I don’t believe that their are any properties in the Rye Neck School District that are in the Town of Mamaroneck so no one should be eligible for Town of Mamaroneck programs. There will instead be properties that are in the Village of Mamaroneck, but those properties will be in the Town of Rye. I don’t know what programming is provided by the Village of Mamaroneck, but typically Villages provide less of this than Towns do.
There is a Village of Mamaroneck day camp that takes place at Harbor Island (there is also a Town camp). I would say more Rye Neck kids actually attend Rye Y daycamp than the Village Camp. MANY kids attend private day camps. At least that is my experience and I do send my kids to the Village Camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County