Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:19 PM

276 posts, read 397,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demographer View Post
Thanks @KensingtonPark. Do you *feel* like a Rye resident--do you use Rye amenities like the arts center and the nature center and things like that? I'm a little concerned about my kids feeling like it's no man's land--for instance if lots of kids at school are going to Mamaroneck town camps and things because they technically live in Mamaroneck. But maybe that's overthinking it.
We do, but it's a little less than those in the Rye City district, no question.
  • We belong to Rye Racquet Club (which is in Harrison, ironically).
  • We attend church in Rye.
  • The kids go to classes at the Rye Art Center.
  • We eat in Rye and see many friends and classmates there.
  • We belong to Rye Golf Club.
  • We go to the Rye downtown fairs.

On the other hand:
  • We don't participate in the kids' annual window painting sidewalk fair downtown. (It seems to be school-related, but a big community event for families with little kids.)
  • We see the Garnets symbol everywhere, and it's not our school.
  • We aren't as pulled into Rye political issues (e.g., Crown Castle, local elections).
  • We swim at Hommocks, not at the Rye YMCA.

Even Rye itself is broken up a little bit with the fact that Playland and the Beach are not Rye City properties. I guess my answer is that we feel like Rye residents as much as we need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 08:25 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,373 times
I lived in Greenhaven, albeit over 10 years ago. For what it's worth, it was one of my favorite places to live and I've lived in a few different places. My kids were young and it was very easy to meet other families. If your house has beach rights, that is a huge plus. It felt like I was on permanent vacation living so close to a beach (a small beach, but still). Daniel Warren was a great school. I identified as from Rye, rather than Mamaroneck. I don't know why as each town is an equally distant trip. I did most of my stuff in Rye...the Rye nature center, Marshlands, Rye Arts Center, the pool at the Rye Golf club, Playland... good times!

Last edited by kmom2; 06-23-2018 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County