U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 02:33 PM

1,011 posts, read 629,395 times

Advertisements

I believe the property in FH and or Queens in general is very very undervalued. The average price per square ft is only 500. How can that be so low? New condos in Queens are priced more than 1000 per sq foot. You see that is why the properties in the city are more expensive than the burbs. No matter how good you think the quality of life is in the burbs, the property is not that valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
I grew up in FH and have lived there most of my life. I don't think the ppl. who pay a premium there are idiots, but I honestly can't explain the property valuations in FH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 02:39 PM

143 posts, read 61,138 times
Maybe this is a millennial thing.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:43 PM

The new generations simply prefer city living. they want to live in walkable neigborhoods, they want to have access to subway and variety of restaurants. The suburban living is out of fashion. that is why you will only see the price going down in burbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
Maybe this is a millennial thing.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:54 PM

58 posts, read 129,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
I believe the property in FH and or Queens in general is very very undervalued. The average price per square ft is only 500. How can that be so low? New condos in Queens are priced more than 1000 per sq foot. You see that is why the properties in the city are more expensive than the burbs. No matter how good you think the quality of life is in the burbs, the property is not that valuable
You were just trying to brag a moment ago about how high the price/sq ft in Forest Hills are; now you're claiming it's way too low. You sound more than a little desperate, dude.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:02 PM

70 posts, read 49,622 times
Quote:
For the commuting, subway can get your anywhere in manhattan. Rail can only get you to grand central.you do realize the difference, right?
Things I've never seen on a Metro North train: people shooting heroin in the corner, passed out homeless people taking up the whole car, somebody taking a sh*t on the floor, passengers beating their kids, passengers beating the conductor, passengers beating each other, disturbed people swinging metal bars wildly, passengers being shoved out of the way so somebody can set up a speaker and dance, panhandlers getting angry that nobody will give them food or money, people drumming on empty trash cans.

Things I have seen on Metro North: functioning air conditioning, trains that are predictable and run generally on time, clean seats, available seats, quiet cars, friendly conductors.

Hard to say exactly what that is worth per month but I would have to say it's worth a lot.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:56 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,750,954 times
Quote:
when people talk about commute, they talk about subways, not rails. Those are different animals. Rails are expensive, less frequent, and not 24/7, and you need to drive to rail stations
People don't drive to the subway because they can't. What park at a meter on Northern Boulevard?

You think people would rather take a bus for a half hour and then a 45-minute train rather than drive 3 minutes and take a 45-minute quiet car? There's a reason the rails are expensive. People are willing to pay.

You're like comparing Peter Luger to McDonald's. Yeah more people go to McDonald's but they don't choose to, they have to.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:59 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,750,954 times
Quote:
The new generations simply prefer city living. they want to live in walkable neigborhoods, they want to have access to subway and variety of restaurants. The suburban living is out of fashion. that is why you will only see the price going down in burbs
Until they have kids and realize "What the hell am I going to do for schools?"

Old 08-17-2018, 07:12 AM

1,183 posts, read 345,439 times
Quote:
Except prices aren't going down in NYC burbs - they continually rise. Nor SF burbs. Nor Boston Burbs.

There are burbs and there are burbs. Just like there are cities and there are cities. No-one's clamoring to live in the walkable city of East St. Louis.

Jeeze there's really no point in this discussion, you seem monumentally clueless.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:47 AM

ok. 9 million NYC residents are all singles. You win

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Until they have kids and realize "What the hell am I going to do for schools?"

Old 08-17-2018, 08:50 AM

Look at the pathetic price trend for Westchester, Northern Jersey compared to NYC, especially Queens. Price nevers recovers to reach the pre-crisis level in Westchester. But it more than doubled in Queens

The property tax has remained the same over the past few years in NYC, even after the value exploded. But westchester tax has increased substantially when the price stagnates.

for
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Except prices aren't going down in NYC burbs - they continually rise. Nor SF burbs. Nor Boston Burbs.

There are burbs and there are burbs. Just like there are cities and there are cities. No-one's clamoring to live in the walkable city of East St. Louis.

Jeeze there's really no point in this discussion, you seem monumentally clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or