Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM

482 posts, read 729,165 times

Advertisements

What in God’s name are you saying Gen. All of your statements are the opposite of reality.

Most people think Long Island > Westchester?? People cross shopping and moving from Lower Westchester to Queens? Commuting from Forest Hills on a crowded subway next to a homeless person is better than sitting on the MetroNorth and walking through a historical landmark? None of these statements make sense

I think the general consensus is a majority of people view Westchester as a better/Best commute and prime location over Long Island. A lot of people don’t want to be locked into Long Island which is difficult to travel out of on weekends etc, not to mention the disadvantage of commuting through Penn. and I have never heard of someone looking to move from Westchester to Queens. Maybe the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 07:52 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post
What in God’s name are you saying Gen. All of your statements are the opposite of reality.

Most people think Long Island > Westchester?? People cross shopping and moving from Lower Westchester to Queens? Commuting from Forest Hills on a crowded subway next to a homeless person is better than sitting on the MetroNorth and walking through a historical landmark? None of these statements make sense

I think the general consensus is a majority of people view Westchester as a better/Best commute and prime location over Long Island. A lot of people don’t want to be locked into Long Island which is difficult to travel out of on weekends etc, not to mention the disadvantage of commuting through Penn. and I have never heard of someone looking to move from Westchester to Queens. Maybe the other way around.
I got it. He's trying to throw people off.

He's right, Westchester sucks, you don't get a lot for your money and the damn racoons and deer are everywhere.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:43 AM

1,110 posts, read 983,476 times
you mean the general consensus on this westchester forum? isn't there a little bias here? price does not lie. go to Zillow and compare the price in Great neck vs Scarsdale. Price per sq foot in GN is north of 500, and Scarsdale is much lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post

Old 08-14-2018, 09:33 AM

59 posts, read 153,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
you mean the general consensus on this westchester forum? isn't there a little bias here? price does not lie. go to Zillow and compare the price in Great neck vs Scarsdale. Price per sq foot in GN is north of 500, and Scarsdale is much lower.
Putting aside the silliness of equating median price/sq. ft. with quality of life, two minutes on Zillow demonstrates the arbitrariness of this strange argument: Rye's price/sq. ft. is much higher than Great Neck's.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:20 AM

317 posts, read 312,049 times
I looked at June, 2018 stats and it looks like LI is indeed more expensive than Westchester, on price per sq.ft basis:

County Price
New York $1,474
Kings $598
Queens $503
Richmond $364
Suffolk $362
Nassau $338
Westchester $338
Bronx $264
Rockland $262
Putnam $213

Old 08-14-2018, 10:32 AM

132 posts, read 170,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
I love how this thread has evolved. 3 pages ago Gen was arguing that buying in Westchester is stupid because it is too expensive and you can get a much nicer place in Brooklyn or Long Island for cheaper. Now he's arguing that Westchester is a worse place to buy because the price per sq. ft. in LI is higher and therefore it is a better place to live.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:48 AM

1,110 posts, read 983,476 times
i am arguing that Westchester is expensive not because of property price, but because of high tax. Even the price is low in Westchester, it is still a bad investment, as the price will continue to go down.I don't think you understand the logic here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNYCfast View Post
I love how this thread has evolved. 3 pages ago Gen was arguing that buying in Westchester is stupid because it is too expensive and you can get a much nicer place in Brooklyn or Long Island for cheaper. Now he's arguing that Westchester is a worse place to buy because the price per sq. ft. in LI is higher and therefore it is a better place to live.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:49 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Ok so gen is living in an alternative reality where LI is considered more desirable than Westchester. Ok, ok. And that LIRR is better than MNRR. Ok ok (!)

Meanwhile, the speakers of the unvarnished truth at urban dictionary - the top definition for Westchester is:

If you can't make Westchester work for you then consider NJ, LI or SI. But Westchester is mostly the first choice for those wishing to move out of the City but into the comfortable burbs.

EDIT: I guess the pic didn't show - for those who care to look:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...rm=Westchester

Lets face it - the only thing LI burbs really have great over Westchester are the close Atlantic beaches (but those places on LI not on sound side are not better than Westchester's sound side beaches obviously)

Last edited by Chint; 08-14-2018 at 11:01 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 10:52 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
I looked at June, 2018 stats and it looks like LI is indeed more expensive than Westchester, on price per sq.ft basis:

County Price
New York $1,474
Kings $598
Queens $503
Richmond $364
Suffolk $362
Nassau $338
Westchester $338
Bronx $264
Rockland $262
Putnam $213

Right, the more urban and smaller houses a place has then the higher per sq foot you pay. If you are moving out of the city and can only afford $450K you'll find a place in Suffolk at $362 per sq ft. If you can afford $850K, then you'll find a place in Westchester at $338. The per sq ft you pay is not indicative of the absolute amount you pay.

More crowded more urban places in the NYC metro generally have the higher per sq ft. So what's gen's point exactly?

Last census data: (Note that LI has higher family median incomes due to higher numbers of people crammed together in family households (especially multi-generational immigrant households where everyone is working their asses off for peanuts), the much higher per capita data is revealing:

Rank
County
Per capita income
Population
Number of households
New York County
$111,386
Westchester
$73,159
Nassau
$41,387
Putnam
$37,915
Suffolk
$35,755

Last edited by Chint; 08-14-2018 at 11:04 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 11:00 AM

317 posts, read 312,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Right, the more urban and smaller houses a place has then the higher per sq foot you pay. If you are moving out of the city and can only afford $450K you'll find a place in Suffolk at $362 per sq ft. If you can afford $850K, then you'll find a place in Westchester at $338. The per sq ft you pay is not indicative of the absolute amount you pay.

More crowded more urban places in the NYC metro generally have the higher per sq ft. So what's gen's point exactly?
I think his point is that LI property values are higher because there's a higher demand for them. I can understand his logic. For example, if you want to live in a 2.5K sq.ft. house in Great Neck, LI (i.e. Nassau County) it is going to cost you 2,500*$338=$845K, on average. Given the stats I provided earlier, Scarsdale zip code will cost you about the same 2,500*$338=$845K, on average, but with arguably higher taxes. Hence, his point is it is more expensive, in terms of taxes per/sq.ft. to live in Westchester, but the fact that LI prices overall are higher is reflective of higher desirability of LI over Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County