Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2018, 10:43 AM

558 posts, read 299,373 times

Advertisements

I'm moving downstate from Western NY. I can transfer with my company and be based either in Westchester or elsewhere up the Hudson Valley. Once I transfer it will be hard to transfer a second time. The east side of the river looks more desirable because it is more densely populated and more affluent. Both are good for my business.

Westchester seems like the best fit, but there are two issues.

One, I need a 2BR least least 1100-1200 ft2 that takes pets and has parking but a budget of $2500-3000. There are no kids so schools don't matter. Wife wants under $2500 which I believe is unrealistic in Westchester. We live in 3000 ft2 now so 11-1200 ft is probably the practical minimum and let the other stuff stay in storage for now.

Two, in a year I want to buy a condominium, but not a co-op. Westchester looks like it's at least 98% co-op's.

Can I find what I want in Westchester or do I need to look elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 07:49 AM

Wow, two days and 61 views but no replies. Can anyone help?

Old 08-21-2018, 08:00 AM

132 posts, read 170,947 times
Since schools don't matter have you looked at Peekskill or Ossining? I know nothing about the condo market around here because the whole point of moving to Westchester was to get a real house and get out of tiny apartment living. I suspect that most others on the forum are in a similar position which is why you aren't getting many responses.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:27 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,667 times
White Plains is probably doable for that price. Again, much more choice when not opting into school districts. Also, Bronxville condos zoned for Yonkers schools are likely far more reasonable. Stamford in CT a choice too.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:01 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,153,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
I'm moving downstate from Western NY. I can transfer with my company and be based either in Westchester or elsewhere up the Hudson Valley. Once I transfer it will be hard to transfer a second time. The east side of the river looks more desirable because it is more densely populated and more affluent. Both are good for my business.

Westchester seems like the best fit, but there are two issues.

One, I need a 2BR least least 1100-1200 ft2 that takes pets and has parking but a budget of $2500-3000. There are no kids so schools don't matter. Wife wants under $2500 which I believe is unrealistic in Westchester. We live in 3000 ft2 now so 11-1200 ft is probably the practical minimum and let the other stuff stay in storage for now.

Two, in a year I want to buy a condominium, but not a co-op. Westchester looks like it's at least 98% co-op's.

Can I find what I want in Westchester or do I need to look elsewhere?
You seem to know what you want already. The east side of the river certainly has higher property values, whether that means it is more desirable I will leave to pinions. Finding a 2BR in the 1100sq foot range takes pets will be harder, but not impossible in you price range. I think instead of posting here, you need to talk with a realtor. I suggest a call to Gary Herbst, who is an exclusive buyer's agent for westchester (914) 294-2767. They can help you more than people on the board. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the ideas. It looks like lower Westchester is densely populated but less so the further up you go, especially away from the river. Is that correct?

Old 08-22-2018, 07:15 AM

132 posts, read 170,947 times
Yes, north of Tarrytown and White Plains you will feel more like you're in New England country side. There are still towns but lots more houses with large multi-acre lots and undeveloped land. Lower Westchester is full of bigger towns with houses on 1/2 acre lots or smaller (unless you're spending $2M+) in neighborhoods.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:32 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
So it sounds like your income is tied to the sales of your business. You will make more in Westchester in that case, but you'll definitely spend more. Houses/condos are much cheaper north of Westchester. Even in far northern Westchester itself. But you're right- population density grows the closer you get to NYC.

I suspect that you would be better off further up the river- the additional income you'll make here won't offset the additional cost of living. When I moved to Westchester I got a substantial raise ($70k) but after buying a nearly identical home, I'm taking home less each month than before I got here. And I moved from an area that wasn't a cheap area.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
So it sounds like your income is tied to the sales of your business. You will make more in Westchester in that case, but you'll definitely spend more. Houses/condos are much cheaper north of Westchester. Even in far northern Westchester itself. But you're right- population density grows the closer you get to NYC.

I suspect that you would be better off further up the river- the additional income you'll make here won't offset the additional cost of living. When I moved to Westchester I got a substantial raise ($70k) but after buying a nearly identical home, I'm taking home less each month than before I got here. And I moved from an area that wasn't a cheap area.
The other piece is that I plan to buy a condo or maybe a townhouse after the first year. Wish I waited when I moved where I am now but that's another story. Lower Westchester is flush with co-ops but I have no interest in owning one of them. I haven't priced townhouses but think they'll be out of my range. Condos in lower Westchester appear few and far between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County