U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 01:16 PM

60 posts, read 78,795 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband is considering taking a job in Long Island City ... the train stop in the city would be Court Square -- the first stop in Queens. Ideally, we'd live in Queens, but we won't be able to navigate the school system quickly enough and our top priority are good schools for our then 11th grade and 8th grade kids. We used ot live in NYC and are quite familiar with the subway system.

After schools, our second biggest criteria in ruling out towns are the commute. Combining these two criteria, we are looking at White Plains, Pelham and Hastings-on-Hudson.

From what I've read, on the various Metro-North lines, they all have somewhere between 30-35 minutes SCHEDULED train commutes to Grand Central, from which we would then take the 7. My question: Does anybody have real time, door-to-door information about typical total commute times from those three cities? Are there often delays? Can you usually get a seat? When it says 35, plus the 7 (10 minutes), is 45 minutes realistic or totally unrealistic, even if the paper schedule says otherwise? Does it vary by line?

Thanks!

Rebecca
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 02:03 PM

80,956 posts, read 108,946,441 times
What about parts of Nassau County like the Valley Streams, West Hempstead and Baldwin, among a few others in that county?

Old 08-27-2018, 02:05 PM

132 posts, read 143,566 times
I can't speak for those specific stops but generally I would add 3-5 minutes to the Metro North scheduled train times. Especially coming home, for some reason the trains out of GC at the end of the day seem to run slower than the morning commute. Also, don't forget to add transit time from the train to the 7 line. Depending on where your train arrives that could be 5 minutes and the subway won't just show up right when you get there so you'll spend another few minutes on the platform. If you have a posted 35 minute train time and 10 minutes on the 7 subway I would say the realistic commute time is going to be over 50 minutes.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:09 PM

Thank you! That helps a lot! You are suggesting that a 35 minute scheduled commute could realistically total about 55 minutes, with the added transition to the 7 and adjusting for a late train. THANK YOU!

If anybody has specific information to add about those towns in particular, I'd still be delighted! THANK YOU!

Old 08-27-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about parts of Nassau County like the Valley Streams, West Hempstead and Baldwin, among a few others in that county?
Funny, I didn't even think of Nassau County. Thank you! A whole new possibility to consider!

Rebecca

Old 08-27-2018, 02:12 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,546,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeston View Post
Hi,

My husband is considering taking a job in Long Island City ... the train stop in the city would be Court Square -- the first stop in Queens. Ideally, we'd live in Queens, but we won't be able to navigate the school system quickly enough and our top priority are good schools for our then 11th grade and 8th grade kids. We used ot live in NYC and are quite familiar with the subway system.

After schools, our second biggest criteria in ruling out towns are the commute. Combining these two criteria, we are looking at White Plains, Pelham and Hastings-on-Hudson.

From what I've read, on the various Metro-North lines, they all have somewhere between 30-35 minutes SCHEDULED train commutes to Grand Central, from which we would then take the 7. My question: Does anybody have real time, door-to-door information about typical total commute times from those three cities? Are there often delays? Can you usually get a seat? When it says 35, plus the 7 (10 minutes), is 45 minutes realistic or totally unrealistic, even if the paper schedule says otherwise? Does it vary by line?

Thanks!

Rebecca
I can only speak to the Hudson line on Metro North. In the mornings, my trains from Croton are very close to the advertised commute times. From time to time the train may be late to my station by a few minutes, but the time from when I get on it to arrival at Grand Central is almost always as advertised. I find the evening home is often a minute or two slower than the way in. Sorry I cannot help with your requested stations, but i wanted to give you some thoughts for the Hudson line. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:23 PM

778 posts, read 579,863 times
From GCT to Court Square via the 7 would probably take 10-15 minutes (3 stops). As some others mentioned, Long Island might be good for you. You could either take the LIRR to Hunters Point in LIC (fewer trains), then walk a few blocks to Court Square or take the LIRR to Penn Station & take the E train a few stops to Court Square.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:25 PM

Another option is living in NJ and taking a bus into Port Authority and taking the E/7 train to Court Square or taking a NJ transit train to Penn Station, depending where in NJ you live.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:52 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,342,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
Another option is living in NJ and taking a bus into Port Authority and taking the E/7 train to Court Square or taking a NJ transit train to Penn Station, depending where in NJ you live.
Comparing Port Authority and Penn Station to Grand Central is like comparing eating out of a port a san, or garbage pail to Peter Luger.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Comparing Port Authority and Penn Station to Grand Central is like comparing eating out of a port a san, or garbage pail to Peter Luger.
I agree that GCT is nicer than Port Authority & Penn Station but Southern Westchester is expensive with extremely high property taxes. The OP has other options than just Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County