U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 01:47 AM

60 posts, read 33,773 times

Advertisements

Hi,

More questions! Are these towns bike friendly? That is, do they have bike lanes, designated bike standa, bike share programs?

And also ... how easy is it to bike from village to village? Are there lots of non-highway back roads?

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 08:09 PM

57 posts, read 30,687 times
Hastings has a good amount of family biking and most drivers are conscientious on local roads (the whole town is pretty kid/family oriented). The Old Croton Aqueduct is really nice for biking if you can handle hardpack (it's unpaved and occasionally bumpy, but pretty easygoing from the Bronx all the way up to Croton with only a few short breaks where you have to share with cars). You can bike to Dobbs and Irvington fairly easily unless it's wet, but biking to the eastern towns is not very nice.

Broadway is not pleasant (even a bit dangreous) to bike on, especially around commute times. The South Country trail along the Saw Mill is a nice paved park ride, and Hillside woods has a bunch of easy mountain biking trails but you have to be a little careful about broken glass when you get close to Children's Village/the Chimney. You see the occasional lime bike from Yonkers around town, but there isn't a bikeshare. There are some racks around town, schools, and destinations.

As with all the rivertowns, it's pretty hilly in most places. Didn't look at Pelham that much when we bought our house, but Mamaroneck is much flatter albeit a little less bike aware drivers, I think.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:09 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,750,954 times
Let me add to this: Limebikes have appeared all over Westchester. Though I downloaded the app and set up an account, I haven't used one. They are just bikes thrown all over the place. You scan and ride and leave. No docks. The cost is $1 a half-hour.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:06 AM

30 posts, read 28,921 times
Candidly, I'm not sure the spirit of what you're asking about exists in Westchester, particularly in locations with good schools. It's a deficiency versus places like Evanston, Illinois or Cambridge, Mass. which are urbanized, suburban university towns. I don't think there is any place in Westchester where you can ride bikes from village to village without riding in vehicle traffic lanes, or meandering on sidewalks through neighborhoods. The infrastructure in New York City, with bike lanes and CitiBike, just isn't up here.

I live in Pelham Manor, and there are well-maintained sidewalks. Many Westchester towns and villages have no sidewalks at all.

The East Coast Greenway is a non-profit organization working with local, state, and federal agencies to create a 3,000 mile bike route on the East Coast. You can learn more at www.greenway.org In Pelham Manor, the ECG runs from Pelham Bay Park, where there are voluminous well-maintained bike and running paths through forests and along the Long Island Sound, up into Pelham Manor neighborhoods. The ECG runs directly by my house on Mount Tom Road before heading into New Rochelle. In Pelham Manor, the ECG follows fairly low-traffic streets that are scenic in nature. Regionally, the ECG seems to use existing bike path infrastructure wherever possible, and then connects between such existing paths by creating routes through neighborhoods. In Pelham Manor, the path is labeled with street signs that designate the route with a bike symbol and "ECG" and arrows pointing one in the right direction. I regularly see cyclists in small and large groups riding by my house, presumably following the ECG.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:29 PM

9 posts, read 5,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilehamwood View Post
I don't think there is any place in Westchester where you can ride bikes from village to village without riding in vehicle traffic lanes, or meandering on sidewalks through neighborhoods. The infrastructure in New York City, with bike lanes and CitiBike, just isn't up here.
The rivertowns disagree! The OCA and SCT can be used to bike/run/walk between towns. So can the Bronx River Pathway in the Yonkers-Scarsdale-White Plains-Valhhalla belt. Things will definitely improve when the Hudson River Pathway is finished.

And in my opinion, since all these trails (OCA, Bronx River Pathway, South and North County Trailways) are physically contiguous and isolated from motor-traffic, they are better than most of the ECG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or