U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 07:08 PM

30 posts, read 37,575 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are currently living in Central Jersey, relatively good school district with a 7th grader, she is in gifted program and plays cello for the district orchestra. My husband is considering a job offer from Tarrytown which will make his commute 2 hours each way, which is not really doable as you can imagine. So we are looking for towns with really good school districts, 30-40 minute maximum commute to Tarrytown. 2-3 bedrooms under 900K. Are there any good school districts we can afford in Westchester? Is it possible to commute from Jersey's good districts?
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 09:30 AM

671 posts, read 525,972 times
Having to commute across the Tappan Zee can be tough. Check out Pleasantville, Katonah, Bedford, Somers, and Croton. If willing to go even further north but still be within 40 min of Tarrytown you can get a ton more for your money in Yorktown, Mohegan Lake, Mahopac etc but these places will have a more rural feel.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:06 AM

50 posts, read 33,285 times
Irvington is 5-10 minutes from Tarrytown (right next door) and is considered a very good school district. We live in Tarrytown and were happy with the schools, but they are very mixed demographically and don't have the stats that many other districts do. You have to really want diversity to live here.

In your price range, I am almost certain that you can find a good school district, and that you will be able to afford Westchester.There are many excellent school districts in Northern Westchester like Pleasantville, Chappaqua, Katonah, Bedford, and Armonk. Mahopac? I wouldn't have thought this would be considered a great district.

Places like Rye and Pelham have good schools, but why move that far south if you don't need to commute into Manhattan.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:31 AM

687 posts, read 678,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurbish View Post
Hi,
We are currently living in Central Jersey, relatively good school district with a 7th grader, she is in gifted program and plays cello for the district orchestra. My husband is considering a job offer from Tarrytown which will make his commute 2 hours each way, which is not really doable as you can imagine. So we are looking for towns with really good school districts, 30-40 minute maximum commute to Tarrytown. 2-3 bedrooms under 900K. Are there any good school districts we can afford in Westchester? Is it possible to commute from Jersey's good districts?
TIA
Westchester has many great school districts. The cos of homes tends to increase based on the commute to Manhattan. Since this is not an issue for you, you can get tremendous value for your money by moving to disticts with great schools, but considered a longer commute to manhattan. Tarrytown is at the west end of the I-287 corridor. Many use this as the line separating a good commute to manhattan or not. As such, properties south of this tend to have a high price. Also, if you desire more land, communities north of here also give you far more land for the price. Places like Croton and Katona are close to the high end of your 40 minute limit to Tarrytown, but are great schools, good lot sizes and you will get an amazing home for your price range. The further South you go, the less home you get.

My recommendation, call the Buyer's Edge Realty in Tarrytown, 914-332-7100. They are an exclusive buyers agent, so they only help you. They do not list properties, only help buyers find what they want. They can give you lots of information on schools and find what you want in your price range. I used them and loved them.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:17 PM

Thanks for all the info, I will be checking out those towns for couple of days while waiting for husband's deal to finalize. Which of those towns you would think has a more welcoming, inclusive community we can find?
That realtor recommendation is a great tip too, hope his future company will work with them.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:38 PM

47 posts, read 31,519 times
Irvington is nice. No gifted programs to speak of in the better Westchester districts though. But plenty of AP courses once they get to HS.

The traffic on Broadway in Tarrytown can get bad, coming from the South.

Commuting from slightly North might be easier.

Maybe check out Briarcliff Manor.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:12 AM

687 posts, read 678,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurbish View Post
Thanks for all the info, I will be checking out those towns for couple of days while waiting for husband's deal to finalize. Which of those towns you would think has a more welcoming, inclusive community we can find?
That realtor recommendation is a great tip too, hope his future company will work with them.
Towns are made up of all types of people. Some are welcoming, others not. You will find this everywhere you could hope to live. Croton, cortlandt, Yorktown are all wonderful communities with great schools. Someone else mentioned Briarcliff which is also nice.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:47 AM

743 posts, read 459,292 times
Without a commute to Manhattan your options will open up. That said, some people still choose to stay within a reasonable commute (depending on your definition) of the city since, well, jobs can change, so having that option open can be a good thing if you're concerned about resale value to a potential buyer looking to commute to Manhattan.

Anyway, Tarrytown is a great town. I live in Dobbs Ferry (about 4 miles south of it on Broadway) and without knowing more about what you like in terms of a town (do you like it to be quiet? busy? walkable with sidewalks? good village amenities/pool? close to shops/businesses? woodsy?) can recommend most of the Rivertowns or some of more middle-Westchester towns like Katonah, Mt. Kisco, Pleasantville, etc.

Visiting the area will help you get a better sense of what each town is like. For example, when we were shopping around we started looking at Briarcliff, but the lack of sidewalks in most neighborhoods along with the more remote feel to the roads and distance from the station, made us ultimately look somewhere that was a little more densely populated with sidwalks from the train. Everyone's preferences differ, so I'm sure you can find something out here that works for you. Good luck with the new job!

Old 09-25-2018, 05:59 AM

The schools are the priority in our choice, since it is my daughter’s 7th grade now things are getting more serious. However we’d love to be in a walkable town since we have been living in a quite Jersey suburb just with street malls. Having a downtown or even just a bagel shop and a bookstore to walk to will be amazing!

Old 09-25-2018, 07:11 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,750,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
Having to commute across the [MARIO CUOMO] can be tough. Check out Pleasantville, Katonah, Bedford, Somers, and Croton. If willing to go even further north but still be within 40 min of Tarrytown you can get a ton more for your money in Yorktown, Mohegan Lake, Mahopac etc but these places will have a more rural feel.
Fixed that for you (LOL).

That commute was brutal with the old bridge. Not sure it will be better with the new bridge. I was living in Rockland, commuted to a job in Purchase. For a week as it was a remote location. They tried to scoop me up for that location and I passed as it was a nightmare. But this was back when you had to pay for the bridge in quarters.

That being said, $900k is a doable budget most places. If the OP stays in the rivertowns, the commute will be under a half hour but won't be as much for the $ as in the towns you mention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or