U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 07:12 PM

75 posts, read 87,476 times

Advertisements

What do you think are the most gay-friendly communities in Westchester? My daughter is gay and has children with her wife, and they are convinced that Park Slope is the best place for them, but it's incredibly expensive .It's more expensive than - I think_ almost all of Westchester.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 07:17 PM

131 posts, read 228,132 times
anywhere in brooklyn is hands down better than any place in westchester. they will feel out of place in westchester. having been a 14 yr resident of brooklyn and a 5 month resident of westchester, they will not find gay families here.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:19 PM

75 posts, read 87,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjbukem73 View Post
anywhere in brooklyn is hands down better than any place in westchester. they will feel out of place in westchester. having been a 14 yr resident of brooklyn and a 5 month resident of westchester, they will not find gay families here.
Thank you. I appreciate this.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:23 PM

430 posts, read 463,879 times
Quote:
This is completely inaccurate. It's 2018. They will be welcomed and find friendliness wherever they go in Westchester.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:59 AM

297 posts, read 240,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
This is completely inaccurate. It's 2018. They will be welcomed and find friendliness wherever they go in Westchester.
I second this.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:29 PM

62 posts, read 79,687 times
The rivertowns from Hastings to Tarrytown definitely have a more liberal/progressive vibe then the rest of Westchester. That would be a nice place to start looking.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:40 PM

562 posts, read 985,439 times
Quote:
This is ridiculous. Ossining, for one, is full of gay families and very friendly towards the LGBTQ community. I don't have enough fingers on both hands to count the ones I personally know. Even our previous mayor is gay and married.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:12 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,482,954 times
...Its New York like gay capital of the East coast? People will throw shade, your children will get teased regardless, but almost all of New York pretty tolerable.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:22 PM

2,035 posts, read 2,762,959 times
I live in Hastings-on-Hudson, and it is quite progressive. While this article is a few years old, it is still accurate at least as it pertains to Hastings: https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/f...-new-york.html
My sons both go to public schools in Hastings, and there are quite a few same-sex parents at school activities.

Having spent a lot of time in all the Rivertowns, I would say that Hastings and Tarrytown are probably the most progressive towns, with Dobbs and Irvington closely following. Irvington has more of a Scarsdale-ish vibe, and Dobbs still has a touch of its working-class history present (more than Hastings). That being said, they are all nice places to live -- with excellent schools -- and I can't imagine that any of the towns would not be welcoming to same-sex couples.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,929 times
My husband and I (a gay couple with two kids) recently relocated to Dobbs Ferry from Manhattan and we have been completely embraced by everyone, from neighbors to other parents at the preschool, and even the crossing guards that we've met. And we've met several same-sex parent families as well.

I agree that the Rivertowns would be a great place to look. I used to live in Park Slope and find a similar vibe and openness here, albeit a more suburban/small-town vibe. Dobbs is more diverse than the other Rivertowns, but all seem to be very affirming and open. Will you find EXACTLY the same feeling here as Park Slope? No. But will you find a wonderful place to raise your kids and thrive? Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County