Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 11:22 AM

173 posts, read 216,883 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of having the lower level of our home renovated in Hastings on Hudson. Our licensed contractor says that we don't need any permits because we aren't changing the layout (not taking down or putting up any walls, not changing any plumbing, and only changing out old electrical outlets for new, which he says is minor electrical work).

What we would like to have done:
  • New flooring
  • New exterior door
  • New interior doors
  • New recessed lighting
  • Having the old electrical outlets changed to new GFCI outlets
  • Repaint everything

We're new homeowners so have no experience at all with renovations and permits. We've asked friends and neighbors for advice but building permits seem like somewhat of a taboo topic in Westchester—we never really get a straight answer and everyone is vague in their response. I was hesitant to call the town because I don't know if that's something people just don't do out of fear of raising a bunch of unnecessary red flags. Like I said, it seems to be a really taboo topic. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 11:37 AM

971 posts, read 1,378,980 times
The flooring, doors and painting - I would be shocked if you needed a permit. The only question mark for me would be the electrical work. It would not hurt to call the building department though. They are the only definitive source.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:42 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,270,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT356 View Post
We're thinking of having the lower level of our home renovated in Hastings on Hudson. Our licensed contractor says that we don't need any permits because we aren't changing the layout (not taking down or putting up any walls, not changing any plumbing, and only changing out old electrical outlets for new, which he says is minor electrical work).

• New flooring
  • New exterior door
  • New interior doors
  • New recessed lighting
  • Repaint everything

We're new homeowners so have no experience at all with renovations and permits. We've asked friends and neighbors for advice but building permits seem like somewhat of a taboo topic in Westchester—we never really get a straight answer and everyone is vague in their response. I was hesitant to call the town because I don't know if that's something people just don't do out of fear of raising a bunch of unnecessary red flags. Like I said, it seems to be a really taboo topic. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Don't be hesitant to call the town. You want to make sure that everything meets code. If and when you decide to ever sell your home you will save yourself a lot of grief and aggravation when the building inspector comes to inspect your home. You won't need a permit for floors, doors and obviously painting. As long as you are replacing what already exists and are not changing the size/opening of the doors or adding additional doors. You may need a permit for electrical work though. Building codes can vary from town to town, so again it never hurts to call. Don't worry they won't bite your head off and will appreciate you wanting to make sure that everything is legal and up to code.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,096,842 times
Quote:

• New flooring
  • New exterior door
  • New interior doors
  • New recessed lighting
  • Repaint everything

Call the town. It is ridiculous to think calling the town for an answer is dangerous. You will get your answer, and then you can decide whether to comply with the law or not. The town gets these calls all the time. Just tell them we are thinking of doing this and need to know if I need to submit a permit.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:52 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,552,621 times
Quote:

• New flooring
  • New exterior door
  • New interior doors
  • New recessed lighting
  • Repaint everything

The town will say you need a permit, architect's plan, c of o for changing a light bulb. And then they raise your taxes 25%. Anything done to the house has to meet the current code, not the code when the house is built. So if you paint the basement, you have to put in new steps, a new entrance and a wheelchair ramp.

I wanted to take a tool shed down in my backyard and put up a new one. I called the town (from a blocked cell-phone of course) and they said I needed -- a building permit, an architect's plan, an inspection, but not a C of O. I. Sh**. You. Not. So I ripped the shed down and that was that.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Call the town. It is ridiculous to think calling the town for an answer is dangerous. You will get your answer, and then you can decide whether to comply with the law or not. The town gets these calls all the time. Just tell them we are thinking of doing this and need to know if I need to submit a permit.
That's like calling your car insurance company and asking if you can use your car to drive Uber. "Just curious? Ok, here's your 240% increase."

Old 10-04-2018, 07:19 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,096,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
The town will say you need a permit, architect's plan, c of o for changing a light bulb. And then they raise your taxes 25%. Anything done to the house has to meet the current code, not the code when the house is built. So if you paint the basement, you have to put in new steps, a new entrance and a wheelchair ramp.

I wanted to take a tool shed down in my backyard and put up a new one. I called the town (from a blocked cell-phone of course) and they said I needed -- a building permit, an architect's plan, an inspection, but not a C of O. I. Sh**. You. Not. So I ripped the shed down and that was that.
Maybe all towns are different. I live in Cortlandt. I have called my town at least a dozen times to check on permits. For remodelling my bathroom, rippign it all down to the studs and putting in new walls, tub, sink, tiles etc., no permit needed. They told me, that was that. For redoing my driveway, no permit needed. For residing my house, no permit needed. For putting in a rubbermaid pre-built shed under 100 square feet, no permit was needed. When we did an entire remodel of the house, adding a floor, of course permits were needed. When we needed to put in a sump pump, no permit was needed, but when we wanted to direct teh sump pump into the storm drain, then a permit was needed. The only increase in taxes was when I added 40% square footage to my house, and then my taxes went up under 10%. The town of Cortlandt has always been very clear. I feel badly if you live in towns that are not.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:23 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,270,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post

When we sold our home we did not have to upgrade it to meet the current code. That only applies to renovations that require a building permit. Renovations such as building a new deck or increasing the size of an old one, turning an unfinished basement into a finished one, new additions or construction that changes the layout of the home or adding additional structures such as a garage or even a shed etc.

We did not need a building permit for painting and routine maintenance on our home. We owned our home for 30 years. During that time on the inside I painted all of the rooms, replaced all of the interior doors, tiled the kitchen floor, refinished the kitchen cabinets, and changed out all the carpeting. We hired a licensed plumber to change the hot water heater and furnace. On the outside I replaced the rotted wood, steps and railings on our deck and porch, painted the entire house and replaced the front door and storm windows. We hired a licensed contractor to repave our driveway. The only thing we needed a building permit for was the sidewalk that cut across the driveway which was all broken up and for an above ground pool. The old sidewalk had 4 inches of concrete and the new code required 6 inches. We also hired a licensed contractor for the roof and a pool company for the pool.

We had to get a building permit for the above ground pool. I had no idea that a c/o (certificate of occupancy) was needed for the pool. When it came time to sell our home the building inspector came by and found that the only thing we needed to do was get a c/o to close out the permit. The cost was $35.

My neighbor never got a building permit for anything. He was a "do it yourselfer" and not a very good one at that. My wife and I would laugh anytime he started a project. When it came time to sell their home it cost them a small fortune to correct and bring up to code all of his shoddy workmanship and illegal renovations. The town required him to hire licensed contractors to perform the work as it was quite obvious that he had no idea of what he was doing. You do not need licensed contractors to perform work on your own home. However if you do the work yourself it must meet code and pass a building inspection.

I doubt very much that you need a building permit to change a light bulb? When you exaggerate to that extent it can only hurt your case. As much as I can't stand New York's state and local governments. I had no problems dealing with my town's building inspector. They appreciated that I took the time to contact them regarding any projects that I was performing on my home. If you do everything legally and the right way you will have no problems from your town's building inspector.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Maybe all towns are different. I live in Cortlandt. I have called my town at least a dozen times to check on permits. For remodelling my bathroom, rippign it all down to the studs and putting in new walls, tub, sink, tiles etc., no permit needed. They told me, that was that. For redoing my driveway, no permit needed. For residing my house, no permit needed. For putting in a rubbermaid pre-built shed under 100 square feet, no permit was needed. When we did an entire remodel of the house, adding a floor, of course permits were needed. When we needed to put in a sump pump, no permit was needed, but when we wanted to direct teh sump pump into the storm drain, then a permit was needed. The only increase in taxes was when I added 40% square footage to my house, and then my taxes went up under 10%. The town of Cortlandt has always been very clear. I feel badly if you live in towns that are not.
That is a practical sensible town policy. I have heard of other towns that approve renovations done by, ahem, certain contractors, while others . . . ya know.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
When we sold our home we did not have to upgrade it to meet the current code. That only applies to renovations that require a building permit. Renovations such as building a new deck or increasing the size of an old one, turning an unfinished basement into a finished one, new additions or construction that changes the layout of the home or adding additional structures such as a garage or even a shed etc.

We did not need a building permit for painting and routine maintenance on our home. We owned our home for 30 years. During that time on the inside I painted all of the rooms, replaced all of the interior doors, tiled the kitchen floor, refinished the kitchen cabinets, and changed out all the carpeting. We hired a licensed plumber to change the hot water heater and furnace. On the outside I replaced the rotted wood, steps and railings on our deck and porch, painted the entire house and replaced the front door and storm windows. We hired a licensed contractor to repave our driveway. The only thing we needed a building permit for was the sidewalk that cut across the driveway which was all broken up and for an above ground pool. The old sidewalk had 4 inches of concrete and the new code required 6 inches. We also hired a licensed contractor for the roof and a pool company for the pool.

We had to get a building permit for the above ground pool. I had no idea that a c/o (certificate of occupancy) was needed for the pool. When it came time to sell our home the building inspector came by and found that the only thing we needed to do was get a c/o to close out the permit. The cost was $35.

My neighbor never got a building permit for anything. He was a "do it yourselfer" and not a very good one at that. My wife and I would laugh anytime he started a project. When it came time to sell their home it cost them a small fortune to correct and bring up to code all of his shoddy workmanship and illegal renovations. The town required him to hire licensed contractors to perform the work as it was quite obvious that he had no idea of what he was doing. You do not need licensed contractors to perform work on your own home. However if you do the work yourself it must meet code and pass a building inspection.

I doubt very much that you need a building permit to change a light bulb? When you exaggerate to that extent it can only hurt your case. As much as I can't stand New York's state and local governments. I had no problems dealing with my town's building inspector. They appreciated that I took the time to contact them regarding any projects that I was performing on my home. If you do everything legally and the right way you will have no problems from your town's building inspector.
Read the town code. Some codes say a permit needed for "plumbing work" and/or "electrical work." Nothing more specific. Yes, of course, I am exaggerating about changing a light bulb but I am damn near verbatim about the tool shed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County