Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 08:12 AM

41 posts, read 100,364 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in Rockland County. We have a 2 year old son, and my wife wants to take a few years off of work to stay at home with him until he's in school. We can't afford our house with just my salary plus the property taxes are insane. My monthly escrow payment is within $100 of my mortgage payment. We also live in a town that borders Monsey, and Hasidics are starting to buy up property in our neighborhood so we want out.

I work in NYC and the commuting situation here kind of sucks. I prefer to be on the east side of the Hudson River if at all possible. We've been looking at towns with Metro North stations and basically just been scoping out houses on Zillow. I'm just looking for more information from other people on some of these towns.

Our budget is around 350k. Decent schools are important since we have a child. We're looking for ~1.2k sqft. Property taxes are also a consideration. I'm looking to spend about $2k-2.2k/month with 20% down.

I started off looking in Beacon (I know it's Dutchess), and just started working my way down the Hudson line. My wife and I go to Beacon every so often to visit the brewery up there, and we enjoy the scene. We ruled out Peekskill due to poor schools, but we like the area surrounding it. We have friends that live in Cortlandt Manor, so we've been up in that area a few times. There seem to be some decent small houses in our price range.

Any other advice/suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 09:58 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdezz View Post
My wife and I currently live in Rockland County. We have a 2 year old son, and my wife wants to take a few years off of work to stay at home with him until he's in school. We can't afford our house with just my salary plus the property taxes are insane. My monthly escrow payment is within $100 of my mortgage payment. We also live in a town that borders Monsey, and Hasidics are starting to buy up property in our neighborhood so we want out.

I work in NYC and the commuting situation here kind of sucks. I prefer to be on the east side of the Hudson River if at all possible. We've been looking at towns with Metro North stations and basically just been scoping out houses on Zillow. I'm just looking for more information from other people on some of these towns.

Our budget is around 350k. Decent schools are important since we have a child. We're looking for ~1.2k sqft. Property taxes are also a consideration. I'm looking to spend about $2k-2.2k/month with 20% down.

I started off looking in Beacon (I know it's Dutchess), and just started working my way down the Hudson line. My wife and I go to Beacon every so often to visit the brewery up there, and we enjoy the scene. We ruled out Peekskill due to poor schools, but we like the area surrounding it. We have friends that live in Cortlandt Manor, so we've been up in that area a few times. There seem to be some decent small houses in our price range.

I live in Cortlandt and love it. You can find homes in the 350k range. Its the low end and some are small, but they are there. Please let me know what you want to know. Lakeland schools are good, my kids have done great in them. This is the largest school district in the Town of Cortlandt. The town is great. Good sports for kids when they get to that age, two nice music schools in the area if that is what you are lookign for. The commute is not bad. I go to croton, but cortandt and peekskill train stations are close too. Ask me anything and I will try to help.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:08 PM

337 posts, read 356,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I live in Cortlandt and love it. You can find homes in the 350k range. Its the low end and some are small, but they are there. Please let me know what you want to know. Lakeland schools are good, my kids have done great in them. This is the largest school district in the Town of Cortlandt. The town is great. Good sports for kids when they get to that age, two nice music schools in the area if that is what you are lookign for. The commute is not bad. I go to croton, but cortandt and peekskill train stations are close too. Ask me anything and I will try to help.
As someone who lives up there, is Cortlandt diverse in terms of demographics? I saw quite a bit in the area of the Cortlandt Town Center Mall.

What is your opinion?

Old 10-17-2018, 05:53 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,667 times
Quote:

I lived in Rockland for a brief bit. The commute was a horror. No comparison between Rockand and the commute on the east side of the Hudson.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:59 AM

75 posts, read 108,137 times
What about Somers? I worked in Somers for awhile and thought it was lovely. It has a very countryish feel. The schools are good, and they have strong sports and other programs.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
I lived in Rockland for a brief bit. The commute was a horror. No comparison between Rockand and the commute on the east side of the Hudson.
It really is awful. I take the bus, and I end up having to leave at 6AM to beat rush hour. It's awful after 7AM. I lived in Eastchester 6 years ago, and I still miss having the consistency of Metro North to this day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaHeron View Post
What about Somers? I worked in Somers for awhile and thought it was lovely. It has a very countryish feel. The schools are good, and they have strong sports and other programs.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Thanks for the offer. How are the property taxes? One of the main reasons we are trying to leave Rockland is to avoid paying extremely high property taxes. Zillow estimates must be way off. My friend in Cortlandt Manor says he pays ~18k a year on his 600k house, and he would expect to pay 14-15k a year on a 350k-400k house.

The more and more I shop around, the more enticing it seems to just keep going further north to get more house for my money. That commute though...

Old 10-19-2018, 09:25 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,919 times
Quote:
It really is awful. I take the bus, and I end up having to leave at 6AM to beat rush hour. It's awful after 7AM. I lived in Eastchester 6 years ago, and I still miss having the consistency of Metro North to this day.

Thanks for the offer. How are the property taxes? One of the main reasons we are trying to leave Rockland is to avoid paying extremely high property taxes. Zillow estimates must be way off. My friend in Cortlandt Manor says he pays ~18k a year on his 600k house, and he would expect to pay 14-15k a year on a 350k-400k house.

The more and more I shop around, the more enticing it seems to just keep going further north to get more house for my money. That commute though...
On the property tax, on a 350k house I would expect pre-Star taxes of $11 to 12k and post Star of $8 to 9k. Get the Star application in as soon as you can. I have a close whose house is in the $300 - $350 range and I help with her taxes. Hers are $11,000 pre-star and $8,000 after Star.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:30 AM

973 posts, read 1,410,962 times
Quote:

The problem with your analysis, as it seems you are finding out, is that you assumed that high property taxes are unique to Rockland. It is not. It is a metro NY thing. Leaving Rockland for Westchester does not lower your property taxes - it increases them, generally speaking. As for the commute, Metro North exists in Rockland (via NJ transit). That will give you a better commute than a bus, but you probably are currently living in an area of Rockland not close to a train line.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:44 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,211,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaHeron View Post
I grew up in Somers. We are actually selling our house and it will go on market 11/5.
$475,000

Old 10-19-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
The problem with your analysis, as it seems you are finding out, is that you assumed that high property taxes are unique to Rockland. It is not. It is a metro NY thing. Leaving Rockland for Westchester does not lower your property taxes - it increases them, generally speaking. As for the commute, Metro North exists in Rockland (via NJ transit). That will give you a better commute than a bus, but you probably are currently living in an area of Rockland not close to a train line.
Oh I'm well aware that Westchester and Rockland are #1 and #2 in the state in terms of property taxes. I've lived in this area for my entire life. I was under the impression that lower Westchester (Scarsdale, Bronxville etc) taxes were higher than upper Westchester is all. Property taxes in this are are going to be high no matter what we do, so it's not like I'm trying to find some place that has 5k-6k/year taxes with fantastic schools. However, if I can get the 16k/year I currently pay down to 10k/year, it'll make a difference for the two years that my wife and I plan to live off of one income.

I actually live in Suffern that does have a Metro North station and I considered it. However, it's more expensive per month, plus I have to pay to park vs free to park for the bus. Penn Station is also on the other side of midtown from my job. The bus drops me off much closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County