U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:47 AM

201 posts, read 644,100 times

Advertisements

We are considering Tarrytown for all the reasons you pointed out. When or if you have children there are good options for schools and I've heard the elementary and middle school are good. I really like the feel of it and it's only a 36 minute train ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 12:01 PM

305 posts, read 1,684,219 times
Tarrytown and Dobbs Ferry seem to have what you are looking for. Nice, diverse towns, with lots to do but a small town feel, easy commute into the city, parking for both respective train stations, and decent school districts, You can most likely purchase a home in the $650K range in both these areas. Check out wcbr.net to see what's available.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 8,139 times
I would ask you to consider Bedford, NY (& Katonah). Although the town is not on the water, it has all of the other characteristics that you are looking for. It is beautifully rural yet extremely sophisticated. It is known for its wealth of farmer's markets, local farm co-ops and farms. Wonderful if you like purchasing local foods. Has streets close to town lined with older homes - from these areas you can walk to your small town (yet highly rated) restaurants. If you want more info. on the local real estate market in Bedford, I blog about it (I am not an agent!) .... rebedford.com or rebedford.relocale.com

Old 03-24-2008, 04:55 PM

6 posts, read 22,405 times
Default Cold Spring nice small town, artsy, lots of Brooklyn people

I'm sure you've already made the move by now, but I thought I'd post for all those reading this with similar interests. I'd suggest Cold Spring on the Hudson river. Look at coldspringliving.com. The commute is a bit further (an hour and 10 min) but do-able. We just moved here and there seems to be a lot of young late 20s and 30s couples buying up the antique properties and fixing them up in recent years. Many ex-brooklyn people (of which I am one). Totally walkable cute town with a main street. I can walk to train and eateries from my house. Good schools also walkable from town. Amazing hiking trails that you can walk to from train. It was the only town in commuting distance to NYC that didn't feel so suburban to us when we we looking. You can still get pre 1900 houses here in the $400K range. Farmers market in town May thru oct. Several good CSA farms to join too. Many artists reside in and around.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:36 AM

100 posts, read 482,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philm72 View Post
Hi - If anyone on this thread is interested of a place on the water - may I suggest you check out Croton-on-Hudson. Specifically - townhomes in Half Moon Bay. This community is right on the Hudson, with a variety of townhomes. We've lived here for 1.5 yrs and love it. So much to do with nature, easy shopping, simple and enjoyable town center. Our neighbors are friendly and quiet. Low taxes (less than ~$5k with STAR reduction). 40min to NYC by train. Jitney from our community to train (3min).

We are having to move to do a job relocation - starting in Jan 08. You can review our townhome here: Zenfolio | Philip Moffett | FOR SALE: Half Moon Bay Condo

In NY, all real estate transactions require a RE lawyer (who write up the actual contract btw buyer/seller). When, if you decide to buy, do consider to leave out an agent, this can allow you to purchase a home for less (since the seller could discount it) This is our current intention, since we need to get moving to California.

Best of luck in either case! philm72@yahoo.com

Philip
Half Moon bay is great. Let me add there's a fantastic walking trail that runs next to it.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:30 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,556,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnNYYankee View Post
Half Moon bay is great. Let me add there's a fantastic walking trail that runs next to it.
Does that path connect all the way to Senasqua Park in the north and Croton Point in the south? Or is that still in the planning stages? I keep meaning to go check that out. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:13 AM

4 posts, read 11,664 times
Places you don't want to live: Yonkers, Mount Vernon, Pelham and New Rochelle!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:27 AM

1,487 posts, read 3,737,738 times
I don't love Pelham myself because of its proximity to the Bronx, its traffic, and the insane taxes for what you get. But, to put Pelham on this list and not White Plains or Port Chester seems a bit odd (if you are even going to include New Rochelle, that is, I'm assuming you are steering them to the most coveted school districts. Otherwise, really only Yonkers and Mt. Vernon outside of Fleetwood belong here.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or