U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 02:42 PM

1,516 posts, read 955,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
It just sucks that you are entering the peak production period of the spring/summer months with longer days and less rain/cloud cover. These are the days that pack in the power production and the credits carry over the "cold dark winter" (very game of thrones ...).

Yes, totally agree. I'm just so glad that the system has great monitoring abilities so that when I sue them, I have a very quantifiable, easily proven claim. I just hope I get connected to the grid before the damages get too high for small claims court because I don't want to deal with a full lawsuit or binding arbitration.

I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be compensated for every dollar of power that I generate now, so I still get excited to see big production numbers. So far the most I've made in one day is 79kwh but looking forward to more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 07:28 AM

66 posts, read 47,434 times
What was your power consumption with Coned? Have you estimated how many years it will take to break even after the financing costs and everything?

Old 04-04-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNYCfast View Post
What was your power consumption with Coned? Have you estimated how many years it will take to break even after the financing costs and everything?

My consumption is very high. I have well water, pump-style septic, electric hot water (heat pump), and electric heat (heat pump). I will use more power than my solar system produces on an annual basis. In NY state, with the incentives coupled with the very high rates that Con Edison charges, everyone's break-even on solar installations is between the 5 and 7 year mark, depending on whether electric rates go up in that period. Using today's rates, my break-even is sometime in year 6. However, from a cash perspective I profit every single month since the savings are higher than the loan payment.

The break-even can be less if you partially DIY, or do the project management yourself. My total installation was close to $40k but the cost of the equipment is around $15k. If you subcontract the electrician and installer, and learned the permitting process, you could probably put the same system up for $25k or so. But the administration would be very, very time consuming and difficult.

Interestingly, north of Con Edison territory where electric rates are lower, solar has a much longer break-even since the power saved is worth less but the installation costs are relatively the same. In Con Ed territory, solar really is a no-brainer as long as you have a sunny roof.

Financing costs are a red herring- at a 2.9% interest rate, my financing "costs" are actually savings since I'm earning more than 2.9% on the money that I didn't spend on the system.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by NYCresident2014; 04-04-2019 at 09:07 AM..

Old 04-04-2019, 01:23 PM

673 posts, read 661,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I will use more power than my solar system produces on an annual basis.

This is the most important thing to remember, never over-produce. Con ed would only buy your excess power for the rate it buys power from wholesale producers like Indian Point, not the kilowatt rate it charges customers. Power is marked up 400-500%. So when you pay .20 per kw (made-up number), con Ed would only pay you .04 for that same kW. The cost to build a system is based on saving on the retail rate you pay, not the dirt cheap wholesale price it buys from you. Its not cost effective to buy power to sell on a home system.

Anyway, sounds like you are doing great. I am as well. I am about to enter year 5. Year 3, I maxed out at 99% produced on the year to year. Years 4 I was at 92% and think this year looks to be in the 95% range. I built it to hit 95%. System will be paid off with savings in about 20 months. Then I am looking at 12-15 years free power. Maybe more.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:41 PM

66 posts, read 47,434 times
Thanks, seems like it's something worth considering. We just bought a year ago and plan to be in the house for 15+ years. We have a lot of large trees and our roof faces West-Southwest so I'm not sure how great it would be for a solar array. Plus I have serious fears about punching holes in a brand new roof to install panels, especially after all the horror stories about low quality solar installers.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNYCfast View Post
Thanks, seems like it's something worth considering. We just bought a year ago and plan to be in the house for 15+ years. We have a lot of large trees and our roof faces West-Southwest so I'm not sure how great it would be for a solar array. Plus I have serious fears about punching holes in a brand new roof to install panels, especially after all the horror stories about low quality solar installers.
The trees and angles may kill it for you, but call someone to see. I used Sunrise Solar. They will come, evaluate and tell you whether its feasible or not. Always get quotes from multiple contractors, but I used them. Sunrise Solar Solutions LLC Solar Energy Design & Installation by Sunrise Solar Solutions - Sunrise Solar Solutions - Solar Panels in Westchester, Solar Panels in Rockland County, Solar Panels in Hudson Valley, Solarize NY NJ CT LI, Solar Energy Desi

As for the roof thing, that is not really the way roofs work. The barrier remains secure.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
The trees and angles may kill it for you, but call someone to see. I used Sunrise Solar. They will come, evaluate and tell you whether its feasible or not. Always get quotes from multiple contractors, but I used them. Sunrise Solar Solutions LLC Solar Energy Design & Installation by Sunrise Solar Solutions - Sunrise Solar Solutions - Solar Panels in Westchester, Solar Panels in Rockland County, Solar Panels in Hudson Valley, Solarize NY NJ CT LI, Solar Energy Desi

As for the roof thing, that is not really the way roofs work. The barrier remains secure.

I agree- the holes aren't an issue, especially in NY where the government incentives require contractors to warrant the system, including roof leakage, for a long time. Trees are your biggest concern; the roof angle can be overcome.

Also, I agree on Sunrise- I got a quote from them during my install and kick myself for not using them, I got a very good vibe from the person I spoke with.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I agree- the holes aren't an issue, especially in NY where the government incentives require contractors to warrant the system, including roof leakage, for a long time. Trees are your biggest concern; the roof angle can be overcome.

Also, I agree on Sunrise- I got a quote from them during my install and kick myself for not using them, I got a very good vibe from the person I spoke with.
You know, they have been awesome. When I changed cable providers I forgot to reset the solar communication box to the new wifi. I got a call the first business day asking what happened to my signal. I told them I would reset it that night, but I forgot. They sent a tech out to do it the next day for free. Amazing service, great people. Sorry you skipped on them. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or