U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-10-2018, 02:30 PM
 
81 posts, read 30,013 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
Thx. Cool site. Does the link (commute times from different towns) say anything about the destination of the commute? Unclear to me that all those numbers are commuting to "where". Midtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2018, 05:41 AM
 
56,094 posts, read 80,174,891 times
Reputation: 12386
There’s also Tuckahoe, which is a little bit further to Grand Central Station(about 35 minutes). Schools are good too, if that is a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 05:49 AM
 
81 posts, read 30,013 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There’s also Tuckahoe, which is a little bit further to Grand Central Station(about 35 minutes). Schools are good too, if that is a factor.
Thx. Just one station further than Bronxville. Will check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 08:47 AM
 
372 posts, read 381,433 times
Reputation: 377
Should look in NJ if you work around Javits Center. The ferries take ~15 minutes. Hoboken, Weehawken and Edgewater all have ferries that go to 39th street pier. Westchester is a fine place to live, but options that meet your requirement are limited. You will also have to take a cross town subway, which adds another 10-15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 10:04 AM
 
81 posts, read 30,013 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
Should look in NJ if you work around Javits Center. The ferries take ~15 minutes. Hoboken, Weehawken and Edgewater all have ferries that go to 39th street pier. Westchester is a fine place to live, but options that meet your requirement are limited. You will also have to take a cross town subway, which adds another 10-15 minutes.
Thanks for the suggestions. Indeed quite a few people suggests NJ side when I post a similar question at NYC forum. Ferries do provide a short ride. From Westchester I'll be looking at ~35 min train ride to be realistic.

Any idea about preschool quality in that area as compared to Westchester, especially in terms of exmission support in case we are interested in apply independent elementary school a few years later? I guess most people in Westchester will just opt for the public school system since it's really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 12:58 AM
 
47 posts, read 30,803 times
Reputation: 95
You might look at Riverdale on the Hudson Line, it is within city limits but there are freestanding houses, and you will get to Grand Central within 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 07:56 AM
 
81 posts, read 30,013 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropywins View Post
You might look at Riverdale on the Hudson Line, it is within city limits but there are freestanding houses, and you will get to Grand Central within 30 minutes.
Will check it out, Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 12:52 PM
 
662 posts, read 508,812 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
How is Darien beating out Rye & Stamford on this? And Greenwich beating out Scarsdale? I must be missing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2018, 11:54 AM
 
54 posts, read 27,176 times
Reputation: 56
One of my favorite ways to get a feel for commute timing was the New York Times commuter train infographic:

New York Times: Travel Times on Commuter Rail

It's really interesting to see the effects of different express segments with the kinks and train speed coloration. FWIW, I'd add about 5 minutes for real world transit times and note these are for peak hour express trains, if you have to travel off the commute peak you may have a significantly longer transit time for farther out towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2018, 03:29 PM
 
81 posts, read 30,013 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwch View Post
One of my favorite ways to get a feel for commute timing was the New York Times commuter train infographic:

New York Times: Travel Times on Commuter Rail

It's really interesting to see the effects of different express segments with the kinks and train speed coloration. FWIW, I'd add about 5 minutes for real world transit times and note these are for peak hour express trains, if you have to travel off the commute peak you may have a significantly longer transit time for farther out towns.
This is awesome ... essentially answered all questions about commute time. What I need is basically knowing all different express trains on peak hours, and this infographic is just for that! Thx a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top