Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:45 AM

8 posts, read 25,273 times

Advertisements

My family moved to Katonah (upper westchester) from Queens when I was in middle school to have a better quality of life. I LOVED growing up here. I loved highschool. I loved Westchester so much that I stuck around after highschool and attended Pace University in Pleasantville. Yep...I have a college degree. After college I got a normal entry level job at a big company. Although I did all that, and I followed what I was "supposed to do," I am now 28 years old, and can't afford rent AND my car payment AND gas AND all the other things that people from my background should be able to afford. Of course, after a bunch of layoffs and a career switch I am only making a middle class salary (in westchester it is probably considered poor). Okay it's $50K give or take. My fiance isn't corporate and makes about the same, maybe even less. Neither of us made very good decisions with money in our early-to mid twenties which put me in debt. I find myself living with my parents, struggling to find ANY place that is decent and affordable. Someone on my salary CAN NOT pay $1750 per month for a ****ty two bedroom with no laundry or untilities included.

I feel lost and hopeless. I feel like a complete loser. I have never done drugs, ran away from home, or quit school. I feel like Westchester was VERY unkind to me even though I have fought to stay here for so long.

I'm going to keep trying for a little while longer, but I'm making serious plans to move away. I am NOT a loser. I know that. I come from a good home, and I feel that my $50K per year isn't unreasonable considering my career change and the job market.

I know people who made a combined income of well over $100K and had to move out of state because they couldn't afford a house. I can't even afford a decent APARTMENT.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 08:19 AM

364 posts, read 1,978,747 times
I appreciate you sharing your story.

Unlike you, I don't really see you as a complete failure. Sounds like you are a little too hard on yourself though.

To me, you are starting to see a different reality of life. Unfortunately, yes, going to college and having a job is not enough to achieve most dreams and goals. I went through the same dilema after I finished college and it took me many years to realize that the traditional formula "go go college and you'll be successful in life" was just a myth.

And yes, this is probably the most difficult place in the country to achieve the "American Dream".

I know you like this area but, have you considered moving out of the state?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:23 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Don't beat yourself up! Your educated and employable which is a lot more than some people can boast. I grew up in Rockland and even I realized that I could only afford to exist if I returned, not live. The mistakes you made financially are not uncommon and you will get past them. Everyone dreams of having their own house especially those who grew up in the suburbs. You earn it though it's not a given and sometimes it takes time.

As mentioned above depending on your field you would probably find a better quality of living further south. If this is not something you'll consider look at the following.

- Your parents are allowing you to stay with them for now, rent free. Get your debt
cleared up.

- You didn't mention where your working, can you take public transit to work?

- Look for a 1BR/Studio for now, bigger places will be available once you get your finances straight and storage units are much cheaper than renting a second bed room.

- Congrats on your engagement, look at the above for both of you, seeing your lives will be joined together soon.

I have 2 daughters in college now I can't wait till there in there 1st apartment and grinning because they did it themselves. If they don't like it then they'll work to improve it. Westchester has been pricing out people for decades. My parents moved across the river in the 50's because nothing was affordable even then.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:02 PM

21 posts, read 75,033 times
Lynn, don't feel bad. I'm a Queens-to-upstate transplant like you, I'm middle-aged, I make what many would consider a very decent salary and yet I'm still just managing to get by. Southern New York is very expensive and getting more so all the time. At the rate we're going, only rich people will be able to afford to live within a 100-mile radius of NYC.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:31 PM

100 posts, read 530,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDave View Post
Lynn, don't feel bad. I'm a Queens-to-upstate transplant like you, I'm middle-aged, I make what many would consider a very decent salary and yet I'm still just managing to get by. Southern New York is very expensive and getting more so all the time. At the rate we're going, only rich people will be able to afford to live within a 100-mile radius of NYC.
True, very true. Hang in kid. I grew up in Westchester and I'm living temporarily in NC; a relative relocated here for work and I'm helping them care for an elderly relative that moved with them. I couldn't continue paying for my Westchester apartment and the landlord was nuts, so I decided to leave and give it a try here for a while.

There are a lot of us "Yankees" here, and most move because you can buy a house for much cheaper. My relative gets a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apt for 1000 a month, cable included though she pays water, trash and electric. Same apt in Katonah/Lewisboro would be 1750 easily and people here consider 1000 to be expensive. They also figure we drive up the prices because we're willing to pay 1000.

That being said, I miss Westchester and would rather pay the extra money to live there; this is nice but there's no NYC and since I'm in the Arts there's not much for me to do. You also have a lot of transplants competing here for jobs so its not all that easy to get work; however, if you're in the right industry, you can find jobs.

People think the grass is always greener, but its not IMHO...KEEP ON PLUGGIN' YOU'RE GONNA MAKE IT!!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:17 PM

21 posts, read 75,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnNYYankee View Post
There are a lot of us "Yankees" here, and most move because you can buy a house for much cheaper. My relative gets a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apt for 1000 a month, cable included though she pays water, trash and electric. Same apt in Katonah/Lewisboro would be 1750 easily and people here consider 1000 to be expensive. They also figure we drive up the prices because we're willing to pay 1000.
It's such a sick irony when you think about it. NYC people are getting pushed out by wealthy outsiders. In turn, they move up here and price us out. Then we move to other states and price the locals out... It makes you wonder where the whole cycle ends. I'm hoping the recession brings some sanity back to the NY real estate market.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:33 PM

371 posts, read 1,566,690 times
Westchester has become to pricey for many my dear. Our generation can't afford it. This is why me and my husband decided to move to CT. The taxes here are very cheap compared to Westchester. Alot of Westchester people are moving this way. We live in Danbury but we are moving to New Fairfield, right over the Brewster border. You said you lived in Katonah-my area is about 20 mins further. Maybe you should look this way....like I said, its all NY'ers up here!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:25 PM

19 posts, read 69,240 times
No, it's not just you. I'm your age and make the same salary and am BROKE living here. My sense is that this area is a giant bedroom for the NYC elite and their families, with a few migrant workers living 15 to a house thrown in to do their dirty work.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:10 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
Is rent really that expensive up there in Northern Westchester? $1,750 for a 2br? I had no idea it was that pricey.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:46 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,658,282 times
My father pays $1550 for a very small outdated 2BR in Mt. Kisco and thats a steal. However, he makes about $50k, and has always struggled a bit in Westchester, but gets by. How much is the car payment? My Dad always has bought a used car and I think that helps a lot.

Are you renting the 2BR with your boyfriend? If you guys make $100k combined and can't afford the apartment, something seems a little off. If it's just you, why get a 2BR?

I grew up in Westchester as well and live there until I was around 24/25. The key to living there is, if you're living a middle class existence, you can't try to keep up with everyone else in Westchester. That means no Neimans, no Audis or BMWs, no LV bags, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County