U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 08:19 AM

740 posts, read 450,586 times

Advertisements

I know you mentioned avoiding the Rivertowns, but just a note regarding Ardsley, the MNR station is on the river but not a major stop, so you might consider using Tarrytown or Dobbs Ferry instead. Living in Ardsley is, more or less, living in a Rivertown from a commuting perspective if that makes sense.

With the budget you listed, I'd suggest looking at the Western side of Westchester like Hastings on Hudson as well. Good tradeoff of school district/price and one of the shorter commutes into GCT. I think the majority of people on this board hail from the East side of the county (Larchmont/Mamaroneck/Rye/etc) along the New Haven line, and while those towns are certainly popular, I'd say it's worth taking a look along the Hudson line towns as well. You mentioned ease of parking/train crowds, and since the Hudson Line is often overlooked and hits smaller towns on the way, the MNR trains tend to be less crowded overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 10:25 AM

57 posts, read 95,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylampsjt View Post
Thank you naicha. Other than the one you're bidding for, do you have any listings I could use?
I don't know about 'use'. They come and go. A quick look on Zillow or Trulia may give you a better idea.

Search Bronxville or zip code 10708

The trick is to make sure it is IN the Village of Bronxville, and not some Bronxville PO address, or else you would not be able to use the school there. You can usually tell by the sudden price drop outside the village border. Google Bronxville Village border and you'll get a map showing you the area. Everything you'd need is in the village including the Train to Grand Central.

I just looked and it's super slim pick'ens,..as expected. So if you have the time and agent you may need to simply wait till something relevant pops up If you are interested.

cheers

Old 01-02-2019, 10:44 AM

56 posts, read 28,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Search Bronxville or zip code 10708

The trick is to make sure it is IN the Village of Bronxville, and not some Bronxville PO address, or else you would not be able to use the school there. You can usually tell by the sudden price drop outside the village border. Google Bronxville Village border and you'll get a map showing you the area. Everything you'd need is in the village including the Train to Grand Central.

I just looked and it's super slim pick'ens,..as expected. So if you have the time and agent you may need to simply wait till something relevant pops up If you are interested.

cheers
I find the easiest way to wade through the address versus town/village/school mess is to search by the high school on Redfin:

https://www.redfin.com/school/85759/...le-High-School

Sometimes Redfin is a bit slower to capture the listings, but being able to search by districts helps a lot.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:52 PM

193 posts, read 181,584 times
I used Houlihan Lawrence when I moved here a few years ago. They have a filter that allows you to save searches by school district. It's awesome. In case you're wondering, setting up a sign in does not invite them to necessarily pester you. They left me alone during the search.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:43 PM

815 posts, read 1,981,542 times
Just a note about Harrison, which a previous poster told you to rule out as it is "less of a community". I know many families who live there (zoned for Harrison Avenue Elementary) and I swear there must be some sort of initiation with Kool-Aid involved, because they all LOVE Harrison and rave about it and it's the greatest and there are always backyard parties and everyone is friends with everyone and they go out all the time and have block parties on their streets and the kids all walk to school together and it's the best... I am not kidding. It is convenient to Rye, Mamaroneck, and White Plains for activities and shopping, and at least you're pretty much guaranteed a seat on the train in the morning (by Larchmont it's standing room only). The bonus with Harrison is that you tend to get more bang for your buck. The schools are very good. It is a very large area with distinct neighborhoods so that is something to consider, but anything near Harrison Ave Elementary would be worth your while to look at.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2019, 04:16 PM

935 posts, read 279,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylampsjt View Post

So far we have drawn up the following list (no particular order, have ignored the river towns)

1. Edgemont/Greenville
2. Hartsdale
3. Mamaroneck, Larchmont, Rye Neck
4. White Plains (not sure if the school is very good, but lots of restaurants?)
5. Arsdley
6. Bronxville/Scarsdale (out of budget I suppose?)
7. Pelham (fastest commute?)
8. Harrison

Which one of the above best fits some/most/all of our criteria? Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you!
I will say that many people move to White Plains because of the lower taxes. This allows them more school choice as private schools are plentiful in White Plains. My son loved Archbishop Stepinac High School in White Plains and it was worth every penny I paid.

Harrison is huge. The town of Purchase, with its mansions are part of Harrison. Then, there is Silver Lake section which is much more modest.

As a note, there are three taxes for properties in Westchester: regular old property taxes, school taxes and county taxes. Make sure you know all three before purchasing.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:18 AM

34 posts, read 41,762 times
I suggest you focus on White Plains. You'll get more house for your money than in other areas, and the public schools are excellent. I graduated from White Plains High School, and returned to raise my children in WP public schools - as many of my classmates did. If you have any questions about the White Plains public schools, I recommend that you watch this short video, and then speak to people whose children attend the schools. I'll be happy to speak with you if you'd like. Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXFW_RQShQU&t=5s

Old 01-07-2019, 07:24 PM

12 posts, read 9,879 times
Hey there, I am the OP, thanks for the video link. White Plains certainly is very tempting given that it is meeting all our criteria barring the school rankings. I've read countless posts here from parents of students who go to schools (elementary, middle or high) in WP and almost all are positive. However, the school rankings are cause for concern.

Elementary
Post Road 3/10
Mamaroneck Av 4/10
Ridgeway 7/10

Middle School 6/10

High School 6/10

Why are the rankings much lower than some of the other towns in the county? Do you think this will impact selling price if we decide to move out in 5-6 years? At the moment, we are leaning towards Mamaroneck but it is slightly out of budget. WP is perfect if we can convince ourselves about the schools.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:28 PM

34 posts, read 41,762 times
Hi, OP. It's my opinion that those rankings are deeply flawed, for a number of reasons. Most fundamentally, they rely heavily on average standardized test scores. It's a flawed measurement when comparing districts of different demographics, because kids of wealthy parents with two college degrees tend to do much better on standardized tests than kids who are poor, or who don't have two parents with college degrees. WP is much more socioeconomically diverse than most of the other districts in Westchester. So, it stands to reason that our average test scores will be lower. But, that isn't at all a reflection on the quality of education in our schools. My advice is that you focus on the type of education YOUR kids will get. If your kids are high academic achievers, there are plenty of resources in the WP District for them to reach their potential. Every year, WP sends multiple students to top-ranked universities. If your kids are not high academic achievers, then I submit a diverse place like WP, where they will find their niche, is a much better environment for them than a homogeneous competitive district. In addition to sending multiple kids to top-ranked universities, WP sends students to a wide range of 4 and 2 year colleges, as well as career paths which don't involve college.

Regarding your question about selling price, I generally avoid making predictions along those lines. I own a home in WP, so I certainly hope home values increase! But, I recognize that it largely depends upon whether people are able to look beyond those rankings, and focus on all the great things happening in WP schools. If they are, then many folks will want to move here, and home values will rise. If, though, they pay too much attention to those rankings without doing their homework, then perhaps values will drop. I recognize that those rankings have the potential to become a self-fulfilling prophecy, and I don't have a crystal ball. All I can tell you is that the WP schools were great for me from 1982-1995 (I attended UPENN), and they have been great so far for my kids, who are 8 and 5.

Happy to talk offline if you'd like.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:37 AM

22 posts, read 9,035 times
White Plains is great. Lots of small neighborhoods throughout the city with lots of families. Downtown has plenty of shopping and restaurants/nightlife etc. I am happy with the schools and taxes are lower than other little towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or