Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:04 PM

12 posts, read 24,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
For what it's worth, the Westchester Bee Line bus runs back and forth between Dobbs Ferry downtown and the train station for (most of) the rush hr trains, so if you're really anti-hill, that's one way around it. There's a stop n shop right in town, plus a few other small businesses, hardly the selection you'd find in Manhattan, however.

Overall, unless you live right in the center of town and are good with a very limited selection of shopping options, I'd recommend a car for the vast majority of Westchester. Inter-village public transportation is very limited.
Thanks, we do intend to start with 1 car and then move on to the 2nd one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Stamford in Connecticut areas like Springdale and Glenbrook good fit for you close to Downtown, shopping areas, train station. The trains leave every 10-12 mins in Stamford during peak of the day to Grand Central 40 min ride it is express and you have local stops to Westchester towns. Stamford is 15 mins drive from White Plains there commuter bus that goes there and 15 mins from New Rochelle if you drive.
Thank you, we'd never considered Stamford as we were looking at South of White Plains station as the farthest we wanted to be from the city. Will surely look into!

Old 01-22-2019, 09:05 PM

13,976 posts, read 13,751,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylampsjt View Post
Thank you, we'd never considered Stamford as we were looking at South of White Plains station as the farthest we wanted to be from the city. Will surely look into!

Stamford is good option

Last edited by BPt111; 01-22-2019 at 09:26 PM..

Old 01-23-2019, 04:36 PM

42 posts, read 42,713 times
I recommend Port Chester, NY. Very walkable downtown and there are always new restaurants popping up plus you can walk to train. Check out the Landmark Building (used to be the old Lifesaver factory)- they have lofts that are big with roof deck pool for less than your budget.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:39 PM

37 posts, read 67,269 times
are you concerned about schools? If so, I wouldn't look in some of the areas mentioned here, unless you are doing private.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beam10 View Post
are you concerned about schools? If so, I wouldn't look in some of the areas mentioned here, unless you are doing private.
Yes, we are concerned about schools. From the feedback that we've received, WP schools are much better than the numbers suggest.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:26 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,551,303 times
If ur willing to pay $740K for a 2BR condo and want the city life just go buy a place in Brooklyn/Harlem/ Washington Heights.

Anyway, the problem with WP "luxury condos" are:

A: they are not really luxury, but charge NYC prices
B: they will screw u on maintenance fees especially if you go the co-op route

WP is the closet you will get to something like NYC in Westchester. Every other downtown area is limited to the train station (Bronxville/Scarsdale), is missing that store or stuck up aka everyone looks the same affluent neighborhoods no diversity.

To get a good idea of the major cities in Westchester just do a google map aerial view of Tarrytown, Bronxville, Mount Kisco (too far up screw that), Pleasantville (farrrrr), Rye, Porchester missing others idc.

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on a starter home I mean brat is not going to start school till 4/5? Will you even build that much equity in 5 years? Flip houses tyvm plenty deals in WP off market transactions also foreclosures. Before moving, I would def make sure you are comfortable with the 40m-1hr long commute to and from Westchester. That means waking up at 6:30 or 7:00 AM everyday. Get used to standing a lot too.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:44 PM

75 posts, read 106,591 times
Tarrytown has a beautiful downtown that is within walking distance of Metro North, grocery stores, and night life.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:31 AM

1,183 posts, read 699,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
If ur willing to pay $740K for a 2BR condo and want the city life just go buy a place in Brooklyn/Harlem/ Washington Heights.

Anyway, the problem with WP "luxury condos" are:

A: they are not really luxury, but charge NYC prices
B: they will screw u on maintenance fees especially if you go the co-op route

WP is the closet you will get to something like NYC in Westchester. Every other downtown area is limited to the train station (Bronxville/Scarsdale), is missing that store or stuck up aka everyone looks the same affluent neighborhoods no diversity.

To get a good idea of the major cities in Westchester just do a google map aerial view of Tarrytown, Bronxville, Mount Kisco (too far up screw that), Pleasantville (farrrrr), Rye, Porchester missing others idc.

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on a starter home I mean brat is not going to start school till 4/5? Will you even build that much equity in 5 years? Flip houses tyvm plenty deals in WP off market transactions also foreclosures. Before moving, I would def make sure you are comfortable with the 40m-1hr long commute to and from Westchester. That means waking up at 6:30 or 7:00 AM everyday. Get used to standing a lot too.
WP isn't close to NYC at all in atmosphere or experience. Port Chester or New Rochelle are much closer in experience.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:14 PM

39 posts, read 39,005 times
White Plains schools are great, very happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County