U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 05:34 AM

8 posts, read 5,518 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are strongly considering buying a house in Larchmont in the new few months (we currently reside in downtown Jersey City). We really loved the village and that it's so walkable, as well as the fact that the commute to NYC is not terrible. We're also expecting our first child in July, and intend this to be a long-term move.

Larchmont feels like a near-perfect place for us taking our most important factors into consideration. The only thing giving us pause at this moment is the general lack of diversity in the area. My wife and I are both Asian Indians, but we've been studying and working in the US for more than a decade now. We absolutely don't need any sort of strong Indian presence or community, but are a bit concerned about our ability (and more importantly, our kid's ability) to socialize and make friends. We've always lived in huge cities our entire lives, and there's been no shortage of people with very diverse backgrounds and viewpoints. Going from that to a place where our kid might 'stand out' in class is a bit nerve-wracking, but we're not really sure if this is even a problem worth fretting over.

I know there's not much the people on here can do to help with our situation (and that we're probably being paranoid or irrational), but just looking for general thoughts and advice from anyone. If there are people in similar situations to ours living in or near the area, we would love to hear your experiences and how you like it in Larchmont. People with kids in school, any stories or experiences that you would be willing to share?

Thanks so much in advance for helping us with this big life decision!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 07:57 AM

627 posts, read 486,651 times
We live in Larchmont and absolutely love it. My daughter is in kindergarten at Chatsworth, and her class is surprisingly diverse. Among 18 children, there is one African-American child, 1 Hispanic child, 2 Asian children, 1 Indian child, and 1 Native-American child.

That said, although Larchmont is certainly not an extremely diverse place in general, it is a very welcoming place and I really think you'll have no problems fitting in here. Much more than race, I think that if anything Larchmont is a little difficult to fit into unless you fit a certain educational/financial profile, but that is perhaps true with a lot of relatively affluent school districts/towns in Westchester.

I can't recommend Larchmont highly enough. Love it.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
We live in Larchmont and absolutely love it. My daughter is in kindergarten at Chatsworth, and her class is surprisingly diverse. Among 18 children, there is one African-American child, 1 Hispanic child, 2 Asian children, 1 Indian child, and 1 Native-American child.

That said, although Larchmont is certainly not an extremely diverse place in general, it is a very welcoming place and I really think you'll have no problems fitting in here. Much more than race, I think that if anything Larchmont is a little difficult to fit into unless you fit a certain educational/financial profile, but that is perhaps true with a lot of relatively affluent school districts/towns in Westchester.

I can't recommend Larchmont highly enough. Love it.
Thank you so much for you response!! Reading this certainly helps lift a lot of our anxiety.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:02 AM

57 posts, read 95,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhit123 View Post
My wife and I are strongly considering buying a house in Larchmont in the new few months (we currently reside in downtown Jersey City). We really loved the village and that it's so walkable, as well as the fact that the commute to NYC is not terrible. We're also expecting our first child in July, and intend this to be a long-term move.

Larchmont feels like a near-perfect place for us taking our most important factors into consideration. The only thing giving us pause at this moment is the general lack of diversity in the area. My wife and I are both Asian Indians, but we've been studying and working in the US for more than a decade now. We absolutely don't need any sort of strong Indian presence or community, but are a bit concerned about our ability (and more importantly, our kid's ability) to socialize and make friends. We've always lived in huge cities our entire lives, and there's been no shortage of people with very diverse backgrounds and viewpoints. Going from that to a place where our kid might 'stand out' in class is a bit nerve-wracking, but we're not really sure if this is even a problem worth fretting over.

I know there's not much the people on here can do to help with our situation (and that we're probably being paranoid or irrational), but just looking for general thoughts and advice from anyone. If there are people in similar situations to ours living in or near the area, we would love to hear your experiences and how you like it in Larchmont. People with kids in school, any stories or experiences that you would be willing to share?

Thanks so much in advance for helping us with this big life decision!
Ha,..I bet Larchmont is more "Diverse" than Bronxville, which is where I am moving to in a few Months. And we are Asian. We are in a sort of similar boat for all intents and purposes.

The school was the priority for us. Safety, Village,and convenience also. The Diversity question came up but I said screw it. As an Asian-American, I was born in the Bronx though. So my perspective is different.

This isn't 'rural' America so , you may turn some heads every once in awhile for people who never left their strip mall, but generally you'll be fine as long as you are polite and do your own thing.

Go be a pioneer. Ice breaker.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Ha,..I bet Larchmont is more "Diverse" than Bronxville, which is where I am moving to in a few Months. And we are Asian. We are in a sort of similar boat for all intents and purposes.

The school was the priority for us. Safety, Village,and convenience also. The Diversity question came up but I said screw it. As an Asian-American, I was born in the Bronx though. So my perspective is different.

This isn't 'rural' America so , you may turn some heads every once in awhile for people who never left their strip mall, but generally you'll be fine as long as you are polite and do your own thing.

Go be a pioneer. Ice breaker.

All very helpful and practical advice - thank you! And good luck with your move!

Old 01-22-2019, 01:18 PM

667 posts, read 515,056 times
Larchmont is unusual in that it is generally considered to have a more international population than most of Westchester suburbs, and being part of a town as diverse as Mamaroneck certainly helps as well.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:42 PM

1,183 posts, read 336,848 times
I agree with Allanny13 - Larchmont & Mamaroneck (Orienta) & Rye Neck have a large international ex-pat population. They have a reasonable amount of cultural/nationality diversity (beyond the more obvious skin color diversity usually fixated upon).

Old 01-22-2019, 01:51 PM

517 posts, read 415,772 times
The OP should be mindful that they are buying into the Mamaroneck SD. Its a large district that is diverse by Westchester standards. For Middle School and High School, all students attend a district-wide school, so the child will not be schooled with just Larchmont kids.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
Larchmont is unusual in that it is generally considered to have a more international population than most of Westchester suburbs, and being part of a town as diverse as Mamaroneck certainly helps as well.
That's great to hear!

Old 01-22-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
I agree with Allanny13 - Larchmont & Mamaroneck (Orienta) & Rye Neck have a large international ex-pat population. They have a reasonable amount of cultural/nationality diversity (beyond the more obvious skin color diversity usually fixated upon).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
The OP should be mindful that they are buying into the Mamaroneck SD. Its a large district that is diverse by Westchester standards. For Middle School and High School, all students attend a district-wide school, so the child will not be schooled with just Larchmont kids.
Yes, we were aware of the Mamaroneck school district for middle and high school, and that's certainly a positive for us. I guess we were just a bit worried about elementary school, but I think the replies to this post have certainly helped alleviate those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or