Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 734 times

Advertisements

We have a 6-year-old son who is autistic. We are thinking of relocating from Westchester County (Yonkers) to better School district within Westchester County .

Does anyone know which school districts in Westchester County have the best schools for special education services? An integrated kindergarten would be ideal as well. Buses / After school / day care are must since we both work.

Also, we are looking for a nice town, upper class, family-friendly, lots of activities for kids, fitness center, supermarket, drugstore, park/playground.we wanted to buy a house (not condo or Coop) in the next year or two hence planning to rent first.

Any information you can give us would be most helpful!!

Thank you !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 05:19 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara19 View Post
We have a 6-year-old son who is autistic. We are thinking of relocating from Westchester County (Yonkers) to better School district within Westchester County .

Does anyone know which school districts in Westchester County have the best schools for special education services? An integrated kindergarten would be ideal as well. Buses / After school / day care are must since we both work.

Also, we are looking for a nice town, upper class, family-friendly, lots of activities for kids, fitness center, supermarket, drugstore, park/playground.we wanted to buy a house (not condo or Coop) in the next year or two hence planning to rent first.

Any information you can give us would be most helpful!!

Thank you !!!

In my day, kindergarten was fun and games with arts and crafts thrown in. Today, kindergarten is more like first grade - learning to read, counting and concepts. Full day kindergarten was a hard adjustment for my kids. They were knocked out by 3 pm. They would literally come home and nap. Then, they had homework to do.

I guess it would depend on your how autistic your son is. Does he have mild Aspergers? Is he fully autistic?

Old 02-06-2019, 08:04 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Just a few more thoughts:

A friend had an Aspergers child in the Armonk school system. It was okay, but not great. Another friend lives in Cornwall, across the river, and her Aspergers child went to a NY public school especially for kids with autism. I've read on C-D that Rye has good services.

Does your son have an occupational therapist? They usually know about different school systems. Would waiting until he was seven to start school help? Would your pediatrician have any information? I think much would depend on where he was on the autism spectrum.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:29 AM

6 posts, read 4,030 times
Hi,
I have some thoughts on this.. if I was in your situation I would absolutely look at Ardsley. I live in a nearby town and our services are sorely lacking compared to Ardsley's. The town is a little tricky, as it's not exactly on the river, but they have a notoriously good special ed department, fully staffed, etc. From what I know, people bus their kids in from other towns so they can go there. My pediatrician actually recommended we relocate to Ardsley after going through some school issues in our own hometown with our 11yo son.
Another thought - my husband's colleague has an autistic child and he lives in Darien, CT. They *really* like it. Would that be remotely possible? Honestly, Westchester is congested and overpriced. The traffic is terrible and it's not very walkable in general, because of the traffic and lack of infrastructure to support it (contrary to what a lot of people think). However, as we do live here, I have to acknowledge there are a lot of benefits too. But the traffic and the current WAZE crisis a causing a lot of rethinking/relocating. (our town is packed with cars avoiding the Saw Mill during commute hours. It's a nightmare.) Our neighbor who is a preschool director is relocating her family to Tarrytown simply bc our town just isn't walkable anymore and the schools are a mess. I don't know much about T-town schools but I think with their downtown it would be great quality of life. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County