U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 06:11 PM

33 posts, read 22,617 times

Advertisements

I've been looking around both Yonkers and Stamford for a 2bd rm condo or co-op to spend a max of 175k. I did the math and it's cheaper to buy a place than rent. I'd also like the option to sublet, but it's not a requirement. I normally from home, and go to clients, so the second room would primarily be for my home office or computer and desk. I'd like around 1k sq. ft. and a balcony as well. I do not know either area very well, but I know Stamford a bit better. I know Stamford is safer too. The taxes and HOA fees seem to be the same for both, so there is no issues there. Yonkers condo's can be 50k cheaper though. Rather not select White Plains, as I'll run into my ex-wife all the time. Wasn't amicable; though I tried.

Open to ideas and suggestions.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 06:51 PM

515 posts, read 1,619,332 times
Yonkers and Stamford are two really different places. Where do you want to live - NY or CT? Yonkers has a lot going for it, especially is you need / want proximity to NYC.

Yonkers' housing choices are large and diverse. There are urban-ish areas, as well a scenic. One edge is along the Hudson River. Traveling north along Broadway / Route 9 will take you to the northern to the quaint "river villages" of Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Irvington, Tarrytown.

As you work from home, I may want to identify neighborhood and area aspects that are important to you. Then see which locale offers the most.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:21 PM

1,183 posts, read 853,673 times
The only thing I'd note is that the city of Yonkers levies a personal income tax of around 3-4%, which is not insignificant and should probably factor into overall COL.

In terms of neighborhoods, the Greystone portion of Yonkers along the Hudson is generally pretty nice, it borders Hastings-on-Hudson and has a dedicated train station and parking. Not sure about shuttle/bus service, though. Westchester has a Bee-Line service which does serve certain train stations in the county.

We also looked in Stamford when shopping for a house and there were a lot of good condo options. Ultimately the relative traffic along I-95 corridor and the New Haven line led us to Dobbs Ferry which is just a little north of Yonkers. I'd suggest checking out some of the rivertowns for condos as well, which you may preferable to Yonkers yet still in a comparable price range, factoring in income tax etc. Good luck in your search.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:03 PM

821 posts, read 955,352 times
Avoid the Yonkers city tax, Stamford does not have one (and has much lower property taxes as well). I think it's probably a more desirable city as well, you even get beach access in the summer which is a random nice perk. If you need to commute to the city Stamford is a hub with many express trains.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:26 AM

2,487 posts, read 926,572 times
Did you look in Hartsdale, or is that too close to WP? I would never move into Stamford with all the traffic on I95, it's one of the busiest traffic corridors in the entire nation, I think it's in the Top 3. I travel north into CT. about four times a year, and hitting that I95 traffic going south into Stamford comng home is bad enough infrequently. I start getting stressed a few days before the trip just thinking about it. The Merritt Pkwy is no better at rush hour. I would rather pay the Yonkers tax than put up with it everyday, lol.

Last edited by wp169; 02-16-2019 at 05:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County