U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 10:36 AM

4 posts, read 3,083 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in or familiar with the "Cedar kNolls" neighborhood in Bronxville PO/Yonkers border?
Almost every day, or every other day, for the past year or so, my husband and I have noticed airplanes flying over our house every 10 minutes.

Upon researching further, some days are international flights originating out of Newark flying to Europe
and then the next day, it will switch and be flights going to LaGuardia.

the noise is horrible, short of complaining to the FAA, is there anything we can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 12:04 PM

677 posts, read 663,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2nyc View Post
Does anyone live in or familiar with the "Cedar kNolls" neighborhood in Bronxville PO/Yonkers border?
Almost every day, or every other day, for the past year or so, my husband and I have noticed airplanes flying over our house every 10 minutes.

Upon researching further, some days are international flights originating out of Newark flying to Europe
and then the next day, it will switch and be flights going to LaGuardia.

the noise is horrible, short of complaining to the FAA, is there anything we can do?
Well, other than complaining to the FAA, what else could you do but move? I doubt the FAA can help, you live in an area with 3 major international airports, a few smaller private plane airports, and White Plains and Stewart are pretty close. The runways and approach/departure patterns are based on lots of things, but wind direction can be a big factor I understand. So your house might just be "lucky." Sorry about it, and I wish you the best of luck with the FAA, but I doubt there is much that can be done.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:01 AM

930 posts, read 277,403 times
I have friends who live in BelleFair, Rye Brook. The planes land at Westchester airport, particularly across the road. While the planes are very loud outside, the inside of houses is silent. The houses are well insulated.

You can't change this. You can insulate your house.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:14 PM

4 posts, read 808 times
I am having the same issue. It started about 2 months back for me also but I live in the Lincoln Park Area of Yonkers. I used the Port Authority Airplane Noise Tracker and have noticed the airplane noise around me is mainly arrivals to Laguardia. They are looping the arrivals over Yonkers and having them turn back down to the airport, sort of like a u-turn. On a bad day I hear a plane every three to seven minutes from morning till midnight. We do get some consistent Laguardia departure noise too but not as bad as arrivals and definitely more than in the past. We get a few departure noises from Newark but nothing regular. I tried to do some research it seems that it could be because they are trying to reduce the noise for the residents of Queens. I don't see how thats fair, reduce the noise for Queens, and make it louder for us. We didn't buy houses that are close to the airports. I've lived here for over 20 years it was never a problem before. The other reason might be a new system being set up by the FAA called NextGen which revamps the whole flight system. Its being found that noise is being reduced in general with this system, but noise increases for a smaller number of areas which the FAA thinks is acceptable as less people are being impacted. With planes going over head every three to seven minutes I find its hard to report noise because the Port Authority wants you to fill out a form detailing every incident. That was getting frustrating for me so I found an app that basically prefills the form and reports the plane details every time you notify it that there is a plane making noise overhead. For example, yesterday alone I filed over 100 complaints. The app records the location of the planes therefore I could see that most of the planes were less than a half a mile away, and the altitude of these planes was on average about 2300 feet. I don't know the decibel level. I have not gotten any response from Laguardia after submitting these complaints. I only get emails stating my complaint was registered. I have also complained to the FAA Ombudsman. I received an email from him that my complaint was forwarded to the Regional Office. Again, I have not received anymore information after that. I contacted the County Legislator for this area and received no response at all. I'm still not giving up. I will keep up my complaints with Laguardia. I have also gathered evidence in the form of my complaint records, screenshots, and videos to send to a State Senator so they are at least aware this is an issue even if they do nothing about it.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:15 PM

10 posts, read 5,806 times
Yonkers0225,
I have the same problem, can you please share this app you use to prefill complaints and which email or website where we can send this to.
Thank you.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 808 times
Hello Grace, sorry I didn't include that information in my last post because I wasn't sure if it was acceptable to post links, especially as one of the sources charges. So, the app I mentioned is actually a webpage (with supposedly an app coming soon).
https://airnoise.io
You would just sign up with your information, and they give you 30 free complaints a month. If you need more they charge a flat rate fee of $5.00 monthly for an unlimited number of complaints. I used the free 30 complaints rather quickly as I find planes are flying over every 3 to 7 minutes. So, i did purchase the month unlimited. But with the 30 free complaints I was able to verify the information being submitted was genuine because I cross referenced it with the Port Authority Aircraft Noise Tracker site. When you hear airplane noise overhead you click 'File a Complaint', the website then searches for the planes above your house, then it sends that information to the offending Airport, and you get confirmation from the Airport directly to your email that the complaint was received. The information sent is: date/time the incident happened, type of plane, whether its an arrival or departure, airplane name, tail number, airport, weather, distance, and altitude. The detail is something I would not have been able to provide quickly and often without this site. If your noise is less, or it only bothers you at certain times maybe 30 complaints will be enough.
If you want to use the The Port Authority Aircraft Noise Tracker Site, it is:
https://webtrak.emsbk.com/panynj4
With this site if you click on the house icon you can put in your address, and see which planes are near your home making the noise. There is about a 20 minute delay so it might be necessary for you to write down the time the plane bothered you, then find it 20 minutes later on webtrak. You can click on the plane directly on the map, then there is a little 'talking' bubble, you click on it to file a complaint, and basically have to fill in a complaint. This takes a bit more time than airnoise.
The third way to file a complaint is to go to the Port Authority Plane Noise website:
https://www.planenoise.com/panynj/daPRAbr9/qs114wbt.php
Again you have to fill out a complaint form that asks the noise date, noise time, Airport, Aircraft type, and you can leave comments.
Finally, if you want to contact the FAA to complain the email address for Regional office for our area is:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...o/nyc/contact/
I hope this helps!

Old 05-27-2019, 08:14 PM

10 posts, read 5,806 times
Yonkers0225,
Thank you for the info. this is very helpful.
Grace

Old 05-28-2019, 08:48 PM

404 posts, read 524,833 times
I lived near Love Field in Dallas. So many people complained about the ungodly noise that they changed the plane engines to quieter ones. Also, planes have to land going into the wind. You might live in just the right location and distance for approaches to the airports.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:13 PM

68 posts, read 21,395 times
I've lived on the Bronxville/Yonkers border since 1958 and the airplane traffic and noise was much greater years ago than today. Airplanes used to noisely fly over my house every three minutes, so loud that you would think a plane was going to crash into the house. Today the noise is less frequent and sounds a greater distance away than years ago.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:41 AM

953 posts, read 655,800 times
Check out the LI thread on this!

Aircraft Noise over Nassau County

Nextgen Google it, saves airlines billions and causes noise for the rest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County