U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 11:21 AM

92 posts, read 29,139 times

Advertisements

Would love to hear from everyone about why they decided to move to Westchester? in particular, what attracted you to the town/city that you live in (i.e. the people, culture, location/convenience, education system etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 04:54 PM

59 posts, read 96,596 times
Nobody biting? heh.

I am set to move into Bronxville in June. My wife likes it for the excellent school. I like it because it is walk able and has the essential amenities of a self-contained village. Walk to the train station, into the City in 30min.

Crime is almost non-existent. School is close, walkable, big playgrounds. K- 12 all in one area. I also have family in Hartsdale so it's close by.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:17 PM

5,841 posts, read 8,599,318 times
I grew up in Westchester and now I live in Connecticut. If I were to move back to Westchester, I would probably pick the Sound Shore area - anywhere from the north end of New Rochelle to Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Harrison or Rye. Rye would probably be my first choice. I also like Bronxville.

I generally like to buy in areas with good schools, though I am past the age to have children. But areas with good schools are generally more desirable and have better value retention.

Rye has a great downtown and beautiful homes. Parts of Harrison are really appealing from and residential perspective, particularly if they're close to Rye. I like the Larchmont downtown and the adjacent areas of the town of Mamaroneck.

Bronxville is beautiful but much smaller than I am used to and this point.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:13 PM

45 posts, read 51,559 times
My username is outdated, I live in Pelham and posted a lot about the pros (very many) and cons (not much other than cost). When were moving we studied just about every town south of White Plains, with great public schools being the primary factor, then cost, commutability, town vibe/feel, etc. Even topography played a role (river towns are very hilly and have steep walks from the train stations and yards are often not level). Pelham hit all the right notes, we were fortunate enough to find a modest house that we could afford and was walking distance to the train station, and we have been *very* happy with our choice.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:31 AM

687 posts, read 674,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike fecke View Post
Would love to hear from everyone about why they decided to move to Westchester? in particular, what attracted you to the town/city that you live in (i.e. the people, culture, location/convenience, education system etc.)
I live in the Town of Cortlandt, in the northwest part of the county. I LOVE my town. Schools are solid, people are amazing, lots of land at an affordable price, I am a little over an hour door to desk going to the city. Our house is rural, huge undeveloped areas all around us, we walk to a golf course and trails are everywhere. My daughter and I started doing 90 minute hikes on Mondays and we will get through the summer doing a different trail each week, all within 15 minutes of our home. If you are an outdoorsy type not looking for a walk to the store lifestyle, northern westchester is great. Croton, Cortlandt, Yorktown, Somers, great towns with great smaller areas within them.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:03 AM

743 posts, read 457,292 times
I live in the village of Dobbs Ferry but if I could live anywhere in Westchester I would choose Tarrytown. The lively 'main street' feel, the ongoing improvements, development and enticing local businesses to open there seems to be helping them a lot. In addition the waterfront renovations, and new community center/senior center are making it a very nice destination to live. I care less about the schools, so it's nice to see that they are taking the approach to using public funds on something other than increasing school budget/salaries. It would be nice to see a shift where the property value/living quality is based on something other than just the school rankings which only tell a small part about a town.

Our town (Dobbs) recently did a survey and found that among residents, Tarrytown was the #1 pick - they must be doing something right and hopefully our village can learn something from them.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:23 AM

522 posts, read 426,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
I live in the village of Dobbs Ferry but if I could live anywhere in Westchester I would choose Tarrytown. The lively 'main street' feel, the ongoing improvements, development and enticing local businesses to open there seems to be helping them a lot. In addition the waterfront renovations, and new community center/senior center are making it a very nice destination to live. I care less about the schools, so it's nice to see that they are taking the approach to using public funds on something other than increasing school budget/salaries. It would be nice to see a shift where the property value/living quality is based on something other than just the school rankings which only tell a small part about a town.

Our town (Dobbs) recently did a survey and found that among residents, Tarrytown was the #1 pick - they must be doing something right and hopefully our village can learn something from them.
The school district, run by an elected school board, is responsible for raising, and then spending, public funds on the schools. This is completely separate from the Village of Tarrytown. There is not a single entity that chooses to spend money on village infrastructure and expenditure at the expense of the schools, or vice versa. Moreover, the Tarrytown school district covers, more or less, the Villages of Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow, so it has a much different constituency. As for property value/living quality such is set by the market. So long as people are willing to spend a lot of money for housing in good school districts, that is where the property values will be highest.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:44 PM

743 posts, read 457,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
The school district, run by an elected school board, is responsible for raising, and then spending, public funds on the schools. This is completely separate from the Village of Tarrytown. There is not a single entity that chooses to spend money on village infrastructure and expenditure at the expense of the schools, or vice versa. Moreover, the Tarrytown school district covers, more or less, the Villages of Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow, so it has a much different constituency. As for property value/living quality such is set by the market. So long as people are willing to spend a lot of money for housing in good school districts, that is where the property values will be highest.
In Dobbs, 86% of our property taxes go to the school district. I am not sure what the number is in Tarrytown, but it is probably close or comparable. The point I am making is that Tarrytown is finding money *somewhere* to spend on improving the quality of life in the downtown and public spaces, which is a relatively rare sight in the rivertowns, even those that are wealthier or considered better on paper.

Better schools <> a better town or better quality of life, that's my only point.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:41 PM

522 posts, read 426,896 times
Quote:
In Dobbs, 86% of our property taxes go to the school district. I am not sure what the number is in Tarrytown, but it is probably close or comparable. The point I am making is that Tarrytown is finding money *somewhere* to spend on improving the quality of life in the downtown and public spaces, which is a relatively rare sight in the rivertowns, even those that are wealthier or considered better on paper.

Better schools <> a better town or better quality of life, that's my only point.
Yes, but you said "they are taking the approach to using public funds on something other than increasing school budget/salaries". There is no entity that gets to possess a public dollar and then gets to choose that this dollar is going to downtown improvements vs the schools. The School Board levies their taxes and spends ALL of such money on the schools. The Village levies their taxes and spends ALL of such money on municipal services. These two entities don't get to meet and say, hey we have some money available on the school side, use it to make the downtown nice.

I think what you should be saying is that its great that the Village of Tarrytown is using its funds to improve its downtown as opposed to spending it on other municipal services. However, its possible that the things you are speaking of are being paid with money raised through bonding, which mostly functions as additional taxes above the year-to-year operating budget.

As for Better Schools not equaling a better town or better quality of life, the majority of suburban homeowners disagree with you. Although I am of the opinion that what makes better schools is the families/students of the district, which also would make it a better town with a better quality of life. In other words, these two go hand in hand.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:50 AM

687 posts, read 674,755 times
Quote:

I love Tarrytown too, but would never live there. I lived early in my adult life in a beautiful home on the hill overlooking the train, bridge, and river. Later, I lived just north of route 9 in what is now called Sleepy Hollow. For me, it was tiny lots, crowded streets, and I felt on top of everyone. I know some love this style of living, its just not for me. But Tarrytown is great. We went to dinner at Horsefeathers Saturday night, walked down to see the winds symphony at the music hall, and wrapped up the evening with ice cream. I love that we can drive to visit these main streets, Ossining and Peekskill are great too, whenever we want. Its a great county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or