Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 07:31 PM

374 posts, read 1,058,579 times

Advertisements

I've found some sub 1 million houses in west Harrison with pretty decent taxes ($15-20k). I'd say the taxes even beat similar priced houses in White Plains. How can that be? Is West Harrison "bad"? Or do they just have good taxes for "lower" priced homes? Or are White Plains taxes not as low as people make them out to be?

In general, how can towns with "better ranked" school districts and not nearly as much taxes coming in from businesses compete with White Plains Taxes? What other towns can compete with White Plains like this?

And yes, I've looked at the assessments and made sure they are properly assessed in both towns (Take assessment and divide by RaR).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 07:39 PM

166 posts, read 175,501 times
White Plains actually has pretty reasonable property taxes. This is because White Plains has a large commercial base so those corporations level the tax burden off of the residents.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:09 AM

37 posts, read 68,480 times
dont quote me on this but when we were looking at houses in purchase we noticed the same thing and were told the taxes were lower because of all the corporate headquarters like mastercard and pepsico.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:43 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
I would not call $15,000 taxes cheap. They may be less than other Westchester towns but in comparison to nearby Greenwich, Connecticut they are insane. As an example, the $1 million home in Greenwich has taxes under $8,000. Jay

https://click.mail.zillow.com/f/a/X0...1rulnea1_at3ii

Old 06-03-2019, 02:06 PM

821 posts, read 774,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would not call $15,000 taxes cheap. They may be less than other Westchester towns but in comparison to nearby Greenwich, Connecticut they are insane. As an example, the $1 million home in Greenwich has taxes under $8,000. Jay

I agree with you, however, with lower taxes, usually comes higher house values. That same $1MM house in Greenwich is probably half that or less if it was in West Harrison.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
I agree with you, however, with lower taxes, usually comes higher house values. That same $1MM house in Greenwich is probably half that or less if it was in West Harrison.
True but lower taxes helps qualify you for a larger mortgage. I would rather invest my money in a more expensive home that would likely be returned to me when I sell. Taxes are just lost money. Jay

Old 06-05-2019, 12:29 PM

374 posts, read 1,058,579 times
Quote:

you are comparing apples and oranges, see metro north travel times to NYC. I'd love to be proven wrong though. Criteria is $1 million home (turnkey), 8k taxes and < 45 minute metro north commute, great schools.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:18 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
you are comparing apples and oranges, see metro north travel times to NYC. I'd love to be proven wrong though. Criteria is $1 million home (turnkey), 8k taxes and < 45 minute metro north commute, great schools.
That house is a pretty run-of-the-mill split, though pretty well-done (except for the asbestos shingles). My approximation is it around is 600k-800 in most Westchester towns with taxes around 15k-20k.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
I am not sure why you think I am comparing apples to oranges. Greenwich is a wonderful town with many beautiful areas. The schools are excellent and there are tons of things for families there. Greenwich has express trains that are 45 minutes to Grand Central.

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_results.cfm?n=y

Here is a home under $1 million with taxes that are less than $8,000 though it does have a $1,700 sewer assessment for the next 7 years. Looks pretty nice and move in ready to me.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-05039?view=qv

Here is a cheaper but very nicely redone house with even lower taxes.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-93627?view=qv

This one has taxes under $6,000. Recently redone too. So you see there are options in Greenwich that meet your wants and desires. Check it out. Jay

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-09223?view=qv

Old 06-10-2019, 05:25 AM

6,358 posts, read 4,179,709 times
Quote:

Yes, but it’s all relative and the mentioned tax rate in Westchester, especially Harrison, is very low and at a substantial discount compared to other equally as good areas in Westchester County.

Westchester County has the highest property taxes in the US and Rockland County is number two. Fairfield County In CT comes in at number seven so you can’t really compare Apple and oranges.

We have a larger, newer and much better home in Virginia than in NY and our real estate taxes are $11K less in Virginia and auto insurance is less than half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County