U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 343 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

thanks much for info provided on previous threads -- We finally found a place in Rye Neck and are looking forward to moving there before school starts.

However I've been told to watch out for ticks, especially with dogs and kids. How bad is it really on the ground? Apart from daily checks and tick medication on your dog what else can you do. I've been told that some days the ticks are so bad that people dont go out for walks...(hard to believe..)

Sorry for sounding so naive but I've lived on west coast (SF and Oregon) where this is really a non-issue.

Is there tremendous overhead in guarding against ticks with a dog..? Right now I dont think twice about letting the dog out into the backyard or going to the park, hike, etc..

What do you do to prevent or minimize tick bites on kids? Spray deet on them all the time and check everytime they come back indoors..?

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM

1,012 posts, read 307,067 times
Obviously, I live in Yorktown - north of Rye Neck. I see deer on a regular basis.

Once in a dozen years, my son had a tick. I garden every day - usually kneeing on the ground - and I never had a tick. I wear jeans or yoga pants to cover my legs. My dogs get ticks but they have a flea/tick collars which kills them.

Oddly enough, my daughter attended college in New Jersey where she got Lyme disease. She never saw a tick bite or the red bullet. She was so ill, she dropped out of college for a semester. She is the least outdoorsy person so go figure.

Whatcha going to do? Wear pants and socks and check the kids every so often. You could spray their sneakers and socks with deet. Frankly, I would be more worried about chemicals in deet on their skin than ticks.

Westchester moms tend to be overprotective. It is far healthier to run and play outside then stay indoors.

Rye has a beach next to Playland. If you are worried about ticks, beaches are usually tick free. I've never been to Rye beach, but it might be a good place to run around.

Last edited by YorktownGal; Yesterday at 09:35 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 343 times
thanks YorktownGal. I agree with your sentiments!

Old Today, 07:51 AM

411 posts, read 530,356 times
FYI-they have a Lyme disease vaccine in the works, and it is in the early testing stages. It's been given a 'Fast Track' by the FDA in order to get it out there quickly. However, it should be 3-5 years before anyone can actually get the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County