Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:02 PM

16 posts, read 64,233 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating from Salt Lake City back to Westchester. Yes! We are coming home. We lived in Northern Westchester for a long time so have a general sense of what is where. But things have changed.

Now since my daughter will be attending a private school in Scarsdale (in Kindergarten) and then moving to Larchmont (1st Grade), we need to live in lower Westchester to shorten the drive in the morning.

We are considering these towns:
  • Armonk (we like the more rural feel + school)
  • Scarsdale (for the public school in case she hates the private school)
  • Rye Brook (like the slightly more open feel + school)
  • Purchase (open feel)
  • Northern New Rochelle (have not been there; seems to offer space)
We don't need a downtown. We don't need easy shopping. We like privacy and the open space feel, friendly and liberal neighbors, easy commute to Scarsdale/Larchmont (less then 30 mins), good dog walking area (off leash if possible), relatively easy access to major airports for domestic travel, and diversity (as much as possible since we are a mixed family). We also want to live in a town that has good public schools as back up.

Any idea if we are off the mark with these towns? Any others we should be considering? Lastly, we are regular folks and cannot afford mansions but should be able to swing for a compact 3-4 bedroom home.

Thank you in advance for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 05:42 PM

371 posts, read 1,567,127 times
Welcome back home! What is your price range, that could mean everything in your decision. Westchester has gotten very expensive and those areas that you mentioned fall into that category.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:53 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,722 times
-yawn-

In that paragraph you basically described Scarsdale.

Granted, Diversity isn't all that high, but, you can take the bronx river parkway right into downtown White Plains.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
Welcome back home! What is your price range, that could mean everything in your decision. Westchester has gotten very expensive and those areas that you mentioned fall into that category.
Thank you! We miss the culture, the people, the efficiency, the diversity, and the TREES. Just want to be back for the traffic on 287!

Price Range: Always hoping for as low as possible - but we can go up to $900k and if necessary, we will stretch for more. It's a matter of what feels right.

Another note, we don't want big homes; we just want privacy/acreage, relatively speaking for Westchester standards. We want to be green and consume as little as possible. So it would be nice to have a big enough yard that I can compost and grow some vegetables.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:58 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,722 times
900k can land you a house in Rosedale in White Plains. Which is absolutely gorgeous. The houses are not that big. I'm going to say ranches ranging from 1700 to 2500. White Plains schooling is really good. Maybe not as good as Scarsdale, or Edgemont, but, definitely up there.

However, I'd just make sure your daughter is in top notch classes. Diversity is all throughout White Plains. When I was a student there, I was in all advanced classes and the atmosphere and people that I was surrounded with, not to mention the amount of instant-privileges from all the teachers was awesome. Haha.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:14 PM

142 posts, read 961,462 times
I think the only towns you listed that will get you more than 1/2 an acre in your price range would be Armonk or Purchase. But Armonk is a bit of a drive to Larchmont and there is no diversity. Purchase would have limited housing in your price range- but a possibility. There is no diversity in Rye Brook (Blind Brook schools) and homes are close together on pretty small lots, pretty much the same for Scarsdale. N. New Rochelle has some beautiful homes, diversity and you may get 1/2 acre or so, but schools are not considered the best, although many would disagree- since NR does have great programs. It would also be the most convenient and has the best dog park near Davis Elem.- cannot think of the name though. Well- don't think I was of much help Maybe Mamaroneck or Harrison??? good luck!

Old 04-16-2008, 08:29 PM

371 posts, read 1,567,127 times
I agree with the previous poster, if you want acre you have to go north. Armonk, Pound Ridge, South Salem, Katonah but there is no diversity there. Would you consider Ossining? Ossining is diverse and sometimes you can get acreage there. The schools are okay and its still not too far.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
I agree with the previous poster, if you want acre you have to go north. Armonk, Pound Ridge, South Salem, Katonah but there is no diversity there. Would you consider Ossining? Ossining is diverse and sometimes you can get acreage there. The schools are okay and its still not too far.
Something would have to give. I think it will probably be diversity. The northern towns are great. We love all the places you mentioned including Ossining for the value for the money and acreage. But to be closer to the two school locations, we may have to give up the diversity.

Or should I be asking what the real commute would be like say from Armonk to Larchmont at 8am in the morning during weekdays? Google map tells me it's 30 mins. Is that a dream?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 19,250 times
You'd be lucky to find a house in Armonk under $900K. It is not cheap there, and it is not diverse at all.
The most diverse town you listed is New Rochelle.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:06 PM

148 posts, read 878,634 times
I think I know the private school that your daughter will be going to. If I am correct the 1st the school you mentioned is close to the Scarsdale/Mamaroneck border. I think you can find a ranch or split with a good sized lot in that area in your price range (either Scarsdale/Quaker Ridge elementary school, Mamaroneck/Mamaroneck elementary school or New Rochelle/Davis Elementary School). Check out Houlihan Lawrence's website Houlihan Lawrence Real Estate

You didn't mention Mamaroneck or New Rochelle as options, but I think they offer a lot more house and yard for the money although their schools may not be as good as Scarsdale Schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County