Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weagz View Post
We may be moving to Pound Ridge and I was looking for anything anyone was willing to share about the town.

I currently live in Westchester, so I do know a little about the area. I'm looking for all kinds of info...the good, the bad and the ugly!

TIA
I now reside in Scottsdale AZ. Lived in Poundridge NY for five years back in the early 70's. I go back to NY once a year in October and always visit Poundridge. I loved every day living in Poundridge. I had the house built for my family on four acres, drilled the well, installed a septic system, and joined the volunteer fire department ! We were in the newcomers club forever and the fire department used to have a giant picnic once a year. By the way the fire department donated the ground to the town for the town park ! I worked in the White Plains area and looked forward to the drive up route 22 past the Kensico Dam to God's country every day.
Sure it snowed occasionally but thats NY. My well water was the best tasting water I've ever had. Some of the residents were a little snootie, but thats life !
If I ever move back to the east coast, it would be to POUNDRIDGE.
Lots of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,528 times
Read the book "Pound Ridge Past: Remembrances of Our Townsfolk" by Bonni Brodnick, with photographs by Fran Collin.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,196 times
Hey- I know this post is really old but I was wondering if your friend still lives in pound ridge? I just moved here and I'm miserable too. Would love to meet A friend.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,249 times
Pound Ridge, NY is the quintessential place to live in New York regardless of its vast expense. It's ultra upscale and tranquil nature surroundings, the large acreage zoning, proximity to the city, prized school district, no crime (except when someone has incurred a heart attack from receiving their 50k yr. property tax bill), are all simply top notch to no other. Certainly this is why the rich, famous and well to do flock here at extraordinary numbers, (i.e., Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon, Christopher Reeves, Ryan Reynolds, etc.....). The surrounding Bedford, Katonah and Greenwich are all upscale and tops of the North East as well yet, Pound Ridge is the most consistent, only approx. 4,000 residents, without a stop light in it's borders, without multi dwellings and the peace and quite..... priceless. Living in Pound Ridge was truly a lifestyle choice. Sometimes you get what you pay for and actually don't mind.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:53 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,026,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyertrust View Post
Pound Ridge, NY is the quintessential place to live in New York regardless of its vast expense. It's ultra upscale and tranquil nature surroundings, the large acreage zoning, proximity to the city, prized school district, no crime (except when someone has incurred a heart attack from receiving their 50k yr. property tax bill), are all simply top notch to no other. Certainly this is why the rich, famous and well to do flock here at extraordinary numbers, (i.e., Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon, Christopher Reeves, Ryan Reynolds, etc.....). The surrounding Bedford, Katonah and Greenwich are all upscale and tops of the North East as well yet, Pound Ridge is the most consistent, only approx. 4,000 residents, without a stop light in it's borders, without multi dwellings and the peace and quite..... priceless. Living in Pound Ridge was truly a lifestyle choice. Sometimes you get what you pay for and actually don't mind.
Seems like a kind of random thread bump but I'll bite - because you're pretty much on target except for the "vast expense" part. Housing is significantly cheaper than direct comps in Bedford and so are the taxes. My house is 3300 sq ft, ~2 acres and taxes are under $12k. My scenario is far from unusual. And taxes actually went down this year! What you'll get in Bedford or Pound Ridge, compared to pretty much anywhere south of 287, makes people's eyes pop out of their sockets.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:48 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,455,647 times
The OP is probably retired already and living in FL...
Pound Ridge is beautiful, and unique in my opinion. At less than 75 min from the busiest city in U.S. you live in pristine nature. This is almost impossible at any large urban center in the world.
But it cannot be compared to regular suburbia. You need to be financially stable to afford things like serious power generator, water filtration and many things that are necessary, including a truck, 4 wheel drive , etc. It's almost like living off the grid. (The adjacent area in Fairfield county CT is quite similar).
Anyway, people should know where they move and it's absolutely not for everyone. I, on the other hand, would love to build my house and move to Pound Ridge.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:30 PM

307 posts, read 636,698 times
I agree on Pound Ridge, I love it over there. Luckily here in Bedford it's pretty much the same deal, same look, same feel, etc. They flow right into each other. I would have chosen Pound Ridge, however we needed a train station close by.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,076 times
Agreed. Pound Ridge is absolutely beautiful, yet, between the high purchase prices and the taxes on the majority of homes that I would be interested in..... its just excessive. We are looking to relocate not too far from the city. My friend has a home in PR and accepts that that taxes are over $45,000.00 yearly. They own their own bus. so it is all relative yet, she said a neighbor payed approx. $52,000.00 taxes two years ago! That's nuts..... even for some wealthy.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:49 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,026,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyher View Post
Agreed. Pound Ridge is absolutely beautiful, yet, between the high purchase prices and the taxes on the majority of homes that I would be interested in..... its just excessive. We are looking to relocate not too far from the city. My friend has a home in PR and accepts that that taxes are over $45,000.00 yearly. They own their own bus. so it is all relative yet, she said a neighbor payed approx. $52,000.00 taxes two years ago! That's nuts..... even for some wealthy.
That just means they live in a $2-3mio house. Those taxes have nothing to do with Pound Ridge specifically, I can promise you. You'll find that taxes in Bedford on a comparable house would be significantly higher. If the same house/lot were moved downcounty they'd be higher still (except that you'd never find the lot). In fact, by Westchester standards, taxes in PR are on the low side, if anything. I'd be interested where in Westchester you're going to pay lower taxes for the same kind of house/lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County