U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 11,329 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

We (husband & I, living & working in Manhattan) and our 9 mo old need to leave our apartment by October of this year. We were looking to buy a brownstone in Brooklyn, but have been quite disappointed by the high prices and crappy state of most houses. We are now changing our focus to Westchester.

We are rather new to this area (so far have visited Irvington, Scarsdale and Larchmont) and would love advice on where to start. Here is what we are looking for:

A welcoming and liberal/tolerant/somewhat diverse community. We love the arts, music (we both play jazz), and good food, so any community that has such amenities would get a +++. We're european, (naturally) liberal, agnostic/humanists, and would love to live in a place where we can hang our laundry and ask the neighbor over for a glass of wine.

Walk to station and village/town. We will commute to Grand Central most days of the week and would prefer to walk/bike to the station (though we expect to get a car). Frequency of trains to the city is an item. Being able to walk to a deli/market, coffee shop, restaurant would be great.

Schools. Even though our son is not yet 1 year old, we plan to have more kids and have them attend the local public school. Less interested in test scores than the quality of teaching and teachers. Thinking of preschools too. Montessori would be great (I think there are only 2 in W'chester - Dobbs and Scarsdale).

Outdoors/running/hiking possibilities. My husband & I are both runners and cyclists and a place with running trails/paths and easy biking would be a huge plus. Preferably without having to take the car to get to the trail We've hiked the Croton Aquaduct and it's perfect. Might be a reason to go for the westside vs. Scarsdale etc.

We are looking for a house with some character and some land (0.5 acre or more). Can spend up to 2M. We're also considering to rent for a while (but I've read other posts and understand that's a challenge).

Thanks a million for your thoughts/comments/advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:10 PM

101 posts, read 402,773 times
I would recommend Irvington, Tarrytown, Croton. Also- there are plenty of Montessori schools in Westchester- I think you may have just have heard of Alcott- which is one. There are Montessori's in most towns in Westchester. Definitely stick to the Rivertowns.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:13 PM

371 posts, read 1,420,385 times
You mentioned Dobbs Ferry and I think that would be a good fit for you! Lots of former NYC people live there. It has a nice walkable town, quick train ride to NYC and the schools are good and yes, they do have a montessori school. My friend's son goes there and although they are pricey, they love it. It has many little stores, shops and cafe's and grocery store you can walk to. You mentioned the Croton Aquaduct and Dobbs has it. You should really consider it. Its hard to find a home with .5 acres though but in your price range you just might get it.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:20 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,564,505 times
There are definitely Montessori schools all over Westchester. There is a good one in Croton and 3 in Yorktown, one of which I know is excellent. So that requirement really won't limit your choices!

Old 04-22-2008, 04:13 PM

96 posts, read 375,867 times
You said you plan on getting a car, but you will DEF need a car in Westchester. It's too hard to live without one.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:16 PM

470 posts, read 1,365,001 times
Eek. Personally, If I were you - I'd just buy an apartment in the Ritz Carlton in White Plains. It's the center of downtown, and, is perfect. The building is gorgeous.

Quote:
Outdoors/running/hiking possibilities. My husband & I are both runners and cyclists and a place with running trails/paths and easy biking would be a huge plus. Preferably without having to take the car to get to the trail We've hiked the Croton Aquaduct and it's perfect. Might be a reason to go for the westside vs. Scarsdale etc.
On Sunday - The Bronx River Parkway is closed for a time, and you can bike up and down. Also, There is a trail that goes all the way to the dam. In which you can ride around the dam as many times as you wish. Haha.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:04 AM

178 posts, read 602,265 times
White Plains, Hartsdale, Irvington, Tarrytown, all come to mind.
Definitely come up in the evenings and weekends and get a feel for the towns around 287 or south.

They are all different and very convenient. I have to agree that you wll like the river towns.

All the best!

Kevin O'Shea

Old 03-15-2009, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,396 times
Don't laugh....we live in St. Louis, Clayton to nbe exact for those who may nbe familiar....considering retirement, familiar with Manhattan, Westchester (been there 25+ times for NON-business); considering a move east, but want small town/village, walk here and there, character, 1-2 hours to Manhattam/Providence; here's where not to laugh......we plan to keep our primary home, and want to limit this New York purchase to $300k-$350lk, including indoor plumbing....any decent chance for small house or condo?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:01 AM

2,406 posts, read 5,247,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrunner View Post
Hello everyone! >>>snip<<<
..... would love to live in a place where we can hang our laundry and ask the neighbor over for a glass of wine.

>>>snip<<<

We are looking for a house with some character and some land (0.5 acre or more). Can spend up to 2M.
In Europe it's the norm to hang your laundry regardless of income, neighborhood, etc. Here that's most definitely not the case. Hanging laundry in Westchester would generally be viewed in 2M neighborhoods about the same as a couple junked cars on the front lawn. If you can get the neighbors over in the first place after seeing the laundry they'll likely explain this after several glasses of wine.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:10 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,517,375 times
Since the OP posted this almost a year ago, I think it's a moot point now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County