Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:33 AM

4 posts, read 12,953 times

Advertisements

New to the east coast and first time homebuyer, we used a real estate agent
to help us find a house to buy in Westchester. But their service is far from
satisfactory to us. Change the agent? We are told that all agents are the
same - they only care about your money, nothing else. So I am thinking of
not using an agent and going through the whole process by ourselves. Is it
feasible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 11:03 AM

95 posts, read 431,127 times
I am no expert, but I think it would be difficult. In my experience, listing agents not always great about showing their listings (I have not been able to figure out why this is), so you end having to rely on open houses. There are a few decent agents out there, so you might want to see if you can find someone you don't mind working with.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:49 PM

110 posts, read 496,407 times
I am sorry to hear about your experience with the agent. But not all agents are the same and is it possible there might have been some miscommunication between you.
Also, agents are both listing and buyer's agent. For example I like working with buyer's and most of my transactions have been by representing the buyer. I am also certified in this field. I am lic in NY so that means I can show any home that is listed on the MLS whether it is listed with my agency or another. You can visit my website and read comments from some of my clients and the experience they had working with me.
One more thing to keep in mind, because you said that it is all about the money, we do not make any money until the closing . So, if you have a client that is looking for a home and let's say we started in April, put an offer in around the first week of May and actually closed on it say June 30th, the commission is split between the listing agent and the buyer's agent (5% and half of that is 2.5%) The house sold for $400,000 with a total commission of $20,000 which is split so each gets $10,000 which is split again between agent and broker , which than $5000 for each. Now take that $5000 and break it down over a two month period which is $2500 a month, break it down again for a weekly period which is $625 a week, now deduct gas, tolls, phone, etc. So, when you actually look at it does it really seem like we are only in it for the money? I am sure $500 aweek to most is not alot of money.
Good luck with your home! You can email me if you would like some help !

Old 04-25-2008, 10:06 AM
K&F

40 posts, read 168,006 times
Default Use an Agent!

I live in Virginia, and I am researching a move to Westchester. So I'm no expert on Westchester. But I've bought and sold four houses, and I would never buy without an agent. For one thing, you need someone to negotiate for you. You just didn't have a good agent or one who made a good fit. Find someone else - ask around, get recommendations.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:02 PM

43 posts, read 172,465 times
My DH & I are realtors, and we are not all bad. You have to really look for the good ones, they are worth their weight in gold. They will educate you on first time mortgage options (ie: FHA), and help you tirelessly. Look for an agent with credentials, or try a meetup for new buyers.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 PM

17 posts, read 52,544 times
I don't think an agent can help you find a house, especially if you are looking in a specific area. I must have had at least 10 different agents send me listings in the past few years and they were all from the MLS. I can find them myself. I was tired of telling them that I was not interested in the houses that they wanted to show me.
It is probably a good idea, to work with an agent if you don't know the area.
You may be able to negotiate better if you deal directly with the listing agent. (just my opinion) They stand to make more commission, if there is only one realtor, so you may have more room to negotiate.
Also, I would think you know what you want to pay for a particular house, so how hard is it to put an offer in with the listing agent?

Old 04-26-2008, 06:53 AM

cdina
You may have gotten all the listings because they put you on auto notification, which automatically sends them to you until it expires.
Also, your opinion is the opposite. The listing agent will do their best for their client which is the seller. So not having an agent representing you alone could lead you into paying more for the house and also the question of "did they really neg the best price for you". You may also offer more for the house then it is actually worth and your agent would know this based on the history of the house, if they have knowledge about other offers that were put in etc. You also will be creating a Dual agency and did the buyer know this and was this explained to you the buyer. If you are planning to buy, you should be working with your own agent who will work with and for you . There are many good agents out there, interview them and go with your gut feeling on the one that is right for you. Good luck

Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
K&F

40 posts, read 168,006 times
Default I agree with acip

There are other factors to consider besides price, or finding a house.

a real estate agent, especially if you are new to the area, can tie up all the loose ends and things you wouldn't think of. they'll make sure you get the house inspected and make sure there's an inspection clause in your contract, for instance. (I assume you do that in NY, it's standard operating procedure in Virginia).

Not using an agent is not going to get you a better price. a listing agent wants to make every last dollar they can on the sale - they're not going to graciously cave to your price request because they're getting the whole commission.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:23 AM

Here in NY we work with the banks & lawyers. The steps to purchase are: accepted offer, than inspection, if all goes well with inspection, than signing of the contracts, title search, committment from bank and than closing. We never sign until inspection is done first unless the buyer waives the inspection and if so it will be noted in the contract etc.
Again, not having an agent represent you will do you more harm than good

Old 04-29-2008, 07:50 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,415 times
Smile Find A Buyer's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtony View Post
New to the east coast and first time homebuyer, we used a real estate agent
to help us find a house to buy in Westchester. But their service is far from
satisfactory to us. Change the agent? We are told that all agents are the
same - they only care about your money, nothing else. So I am thinking of
not using an agent and going through the whole process by ourselves. Is it
feasible?
If you are really interested in finding someone who will work exclusively for you when looking for a house....find a Buyer's Agent....regardless of what you think...all Real Estate Agent's work for the Seller......not the Buyer... unless they are a Buyer's Agent...As the Seller's Agent they are prohibited from telling you many things...where as...the Buyer's Agent...represents you... not the Seller......and as such they have to tell you all they know about the house/seller/etc...it is like hiring a lawyer...he/she works for you alone....and no one else.......so who do you want to help you find a house????

Regarding the fee...the Selling Agent gets paid by the home owner and the Buyer's Agent gets paid by the home owner...it all comes out of the listing fee the Selling Agent charges the seller to list their home...so go find someone who will work for you.......good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: