Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 07:03 PM

353 posts, read 1,007,501 times

Advertisements

Hi - we were thinking of taking a family bike ride in Westchester, possibly near Croton-on-Hudson. Does anybody know the best bike paths in the Croton area for a family with a 7 year old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 09:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times
The North County Trailway is great for kids. We take our 7 year old there all the time--that's where he learned to bike and scoot. It runs north-south for 20 miles. The closest entry to Croton is on Route 118 in Yorktown, about 10 minutes from Croton. This blog post has some more info on the North county Trailway and links to a map:

Northern Westchester Home: Chugging Down the Trail

Another kid-friendly bike path is the one in Croton that runs from Senasqua park south to Croton Point Park (it runs along the Hudson for part of the way and then goes inland a bit).

Old 05-12-2008, 09:08 AM

100 posts, read 530,261 times
Senesqua Park in Croton-on-Hudson also has a bike trail. The park entrance is off of Rt. 129. It goes from the park, past Half Moon Bay, and ends at Croton Point park. Its sort of interesting and scenic, in an industrial way; it runs parallel to the Harmon Train yards.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:00 PM

353 posts, read 1,007,501 times
Thanks! I'll take a look at it.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:44 AM

18 posts, read 79,540 times
How safe are the paved trails? I run by myself a lot, and one thing I am looking for when beginning my home search in Westchester is safe running areas. (I am female) I would normally run 9am mornings or anytime on weekends. Are they heavily used? Any crime statistics or areas to avoid. Thanks!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:24 AM

178 posts, read 667,454 times
There is great biking along the Bronx River Parkway from Bronxville to White Plains.
They close the parkway for Bicycle Sundays

All the best

Kevin O'Shea

Old 05-20-2008, 12:47 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmmgott View Post
How safe are the paved trails? I run by myself a lot, and one thing I am looking for when beginning my home search in Westchester is safe running areas. (I am female) I would normally run 9am mornings or anytime on weekends. Are they heavily used? Any crime statistics or areas to avoid. Thanks!
I've never heard of any crime along any of the trails in the upper Westchester area. In general there is practically no violent crime other than domestic disputes and the occasional drug-related thing in Peekskill or Ossining. There are exceptions of course--recently a just-released convicted sex offender raped a woman at a shopping center parking lot (he is now back in jail). But that was the first such crime that has occured in the past 6 years. We only lock our house when we leave for more than 2 days--there has not been a break-in or any crime in our area for as long as anyone can remember.

In addition to the trails, there are a number of roads in the area that are very popular with joggers, bikers, and walkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County