U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:28 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,183,783 times

Advertisements

Well have you been to Port Chester and White Plains lately? They are all over the place. In Port Chester Spanish people make up the majority of the town, the total number is probably closer to 2/3rds of the population. Drive thru there sometime, all of the stores and restaurants are all mexican, peruvian, central american, etc.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:02 AM

100 posts, read 584,021 times
Boy do I know Mead. I do not go down to Port chester unless I have to... but I disagree with you on white plains. There really is no significant population, at least when you compare it to the villages.

It goes to prove my point. Port Chester is a village, and was quite dumpy from the start. So illegals moved in and made it dumpier.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:13 PM

14 posts, read 56,852 times
Thanks to all for the advice you've given. It's been helpful. Are there any other areas in Westchester Co. that you would suggest? I don't mind commuting to work, so I don't necessarily need to live in Sleepy Hollow/Tarrytown.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:55 PM

Hispanics make up 25% of the population of White Plains. Thats a higher percentage than both Tarrytown and Ossining.

While some of that is made up by perfectly legit & hardworking Cubans, Puerto Ricans, & Dominicans, A LOT of the population is illegal. Drive down E Post Road, off of Mamaroneck, towards Scarsdale and you will see what I am talking about. Theres lots of Mexican restaurants, bakeries, phone card shops, bodegas, etc. Most of the people along this stretch have difficulty speaking English, if they can speak it at all.

Also, go visit the Galleria mall in White Plains sometime. The VAST majority of people in this mall are hispanic. When I go shopping there I usually feel like I'm the only non-foreigner there. I guess all of the white folks go shopping at the Westchester mall, but I dont' like paying for the $3 minimum parking. (You actually can get around this by parking in Stop & Shop's lot, as a lot of people do, but I don't do this as I'd be afraid of getting my car towed).

Old 01-05-2007, 12:50 AM

100 posts, read 584,021 times
I don't think white people go to the Galleria anymore

Yeah I did not know they compromised 25% especially with all the gentrification. But I did forget about E. Post rd. area.

Even Mamroneck has a huge illegal pop. I swear the last time I was there I thought I was in Mexico.

I know the parking at the Westchester is ridiculous, but do what I do. I park at the Pavilion (first half hour is free, up to an hour $1) and walk to the Westchester (right next door).

Old 01-05-2007, 04:34 PM

15 posts, read 69,066 times
Ossining is very appreciative of the way the HIspanics have spruced up storefronts that were dumps for years before they arrived.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:56 AM

2 posts, read 7,499 times
I guess as Mead and Brahmos have pointed out, if your uncomfortable with one out of every fourth person being of a different background than you, this area might not be the right place to settle. Its a little Cosmopolitan. I hear the Dakotas are still relatively white bread though, and provide ample employment opportunities in their "Cowboy" and "Farmer" industries.

The metro station in tarrytown provides access to NYC and the bus lines can take you into the heart of White Plains and localities beyond. NYC obviously has employment opportunities while White Plains is experiencing a bit of boom in their own right. Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown and neighboring Ossining are for the most part bedroom communities, communiting to work outside is par for the course. The population boom in these areas has meant a greater pool of workers and increased need for housing, so you'll see several homeowners who have converted 1 or 2 family homes to carry far more folks. So a 900-1.5k a month rent is what you could be looking at. Ossining i hear tends to be a bit more affordable. Something to keep in mind is that Tarrytown and Sleepyhollow is looking at a tax hike due to the recent construction at the schools, so fairly soon down the pike there is going to be a hit. This could very well drive away the pensioners, and probably make Main Street Tarrytown a bit more Hipster than it already is.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,750 times
You might want to consider the other side of the Hudson River. Nyack is a great town. Very community oriented, restuarants, a good mix of people, some arty Manhattanites, families, commuters and it's racially diverse. Pretty safe and friendly. It's very easy to get to Harriman State Park if you are craving nature and it has a park at it's north end with a great walking/biking path along the river. There's a wide range fo housing prices from mansions to affordalbe apartments.
It's just across the TappanZee Bridge from Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow. There are commuter buses to White Plains and Tarrytown from Nyack.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:06 PM

Cosmopolitan? Hardly! E Post Road looks like a third world country. Maybe if you want real diversity you should try moving into the public housing project we have here in White Plains? I'd like to see how long that lasts.

I have yet to see any so called progressive/liberal people living in this neighborhood. Its all just Mexicans, some black folks, and old white people. So called Liberals are just hypocrites.. You would never live in a neighborhood like this because its not hip enough for you. I guess you better just stick to the Upper East Side/Scarsdale/Bronxville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
I guess as Mead and Brahmos have pointed out, if your uncomfortable with one out of every fourth person being of a different background than you, this area might not be the right place to settle. Its a little Cosmopolitan. I hear the Dakotas are still relatively white bread though, and provide ample employment opportunities in their "Cowboy" and "Farmer" industries.

The metro station in tarrytown provides access to NYC and the bus lines can take you into the heart of White Plains and localities beyond. NYC obviously has employment opportunities while White Plains is experiencing a bit of boom in their own right. Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown and neighboring Ossining are for the most part bedroom communities, communiting to work outside is par for the course. The population boom in these areas has meant a greater pool of workers and increased need for housing, so you'll see several homeowners who have converted 1 or 2 family homes to carry far more folks. So a 900-1.5k a month rent is what you could be looking at. Ossining i hear tends to be a bit more affordable. Something to keep in mind is that Tarrytown and Sleepyhollow is looking at a tax hike due to the recent construction at the schools, so fairly soon down the pike there is going to be a hit. This could very well drive away the pensioners, and probably make Main Street Tarrytown a bit more Hipster than it already is.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Cosmopolitan? Hardly! E Post Road looks like a third world country. Maybe if you want real diversity you should try moving into the public housing project we have here in White Plains? I'd like to see how long that lasts.

I have yet to see any so called progressive/liberal people living in this neighborhood. Its all just Mexicans, some black folks, and old white people. So called Liberals are just hypocrites.. You would never live in a neighborhood like this because its not hip enough for you. I guess you better just stick to the Upper East Side/Scarsdale/Bronxville.
If east post road to you is a third world country i have to question if you've ever even saw one first hand.

I was born in White Plains, and was raised in Tarrytown. My fathers side of my family lives in White Plains, my mothers lives in Sleepy Hollow. The hispanic community in the westchester area is peppered with lots of Colombians, Chileans, Peruvians, Ecuadorians... lots of South Americans. I know this because my mother was rather active in the community and I have seen first hand the sheer size of just the Peruvian religious community. Thats just the Hispanics. I have seen ex-pats from the U.K., New Zealand, Russia, South Africa, a huge smattering of Koreans and Japanese, and lots of Portugeuse. To be fair though, my exposure could very well just be a function of the circles i travel around in. Honest I'm curious of your values Mead if when asked about the suitability of a place to move to, your first response isn't about the cost of living, ease of public transit, or the health of the job market but whether or not theres an acceptable level of "Mexicans".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County