Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 01:29 PM

821 posts, read 773,209 times

Advertisements

I agree with the Sunnyridge area of Harrison, very family oriented neighborhood.

Larchmont and Rye Brook could also work.

Chappaqua could also work. Slightly longer commute but it has an express train. You definitely get a lot more bang for your buck out there.

In NJ, what about Tenafly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2022, 08:42 PM

23 posts, read 28,774 times
Thank you for the responses. Great suggestions. Some of them don’t work because we’d like to have a direct train line to the city since we both need to commute 2-3 days a week. I think Millburn or SOMA is probably the best fit in NJ. I’ll look into Pelham and Harrison!

Old 11-01-2022, 06:53 PM

38 posts, read 39,690 times
Check out Edgemont. Biden +60. Median price ~ 1.2 Taxes are high though so budget accordingly. Community is pretty tight. Major religion are the schools. Many parts are walking distance to train.

Old 11-03-2022, 11:49 AM

961 posts, read 720,959 times
On the NJ side, I personally love Maplewood, one of my favorite towns in North Jersey (we know lots of people who've moved there), but to your point schools are considered a notch below the other towns you mention. Glen Ridge is great of course, but don't go by list prices as it's a 'sealed bid' process (ditto Montclair) and everything goes for like $200K over ask (and always has, even before the COVID craziness).

I would echo another suggestion to look at Ridgewood, and will add Westfield, as both aesthetically look very similar to Maplewood, have bigger downtowns, and are quite liberal by most standards (though not quite to the Brooklyn-west level of Maplewood). People that want some of what Maplewood has to offer, but are OK with trading a bit of hipness for better schools, tend to focus on these towns.

In Westchester I think Larchmont is great, and if I worked on the east side of Manhattan would probably eventually live there.

Old 11-06-2022, 12:25 AM

132 posts, read 278,932 times
Check out Ossining for sure.
Very friendly, most people say hi when you walk by.
Diverse, walkable, everyone raves about the schools, and you'll have a historic house within your budget, plus an express stop on the metro north!
Ossining then Tarrytown then 125th & Grand Central.

Old 11-07-2022, 04:44 PM

74 posts, read 80,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petunie View Post
Thank you for the responses. Great suggestions. Some of them don’t work because we’d like to have a direct train line to the city since we both need to commute 2-3 days a week. I think Millburn or SOMA is probably the best fit in NJ. I’ll look into Pelham and Harrison!
Take NJ Transit travel times with a grain of salt- NJT is nowhere near as rock solid as Metro North, LIRR or the PATH.

There are quite a few threads on here from people with experience with both- I would do my due diligence with regards to research on this topic.

The lack of enthusiasm we got from everyone we know who uses NJT regardless of where they live in the state- had us reconsider NJ and Rockland County. May not be a deal killer for you, but do go in with both eyes open.

Also-as someone who went through the same process as you. Don't lock yourself in so early to one or two towns. It is easy to convince yourself "only" one town will do and you can waste a lot of effort and time only to realize it isn't the right fit once you start really looking.

When you first start looking outside of the city, it is easy to convince yourself you have to be "x" minutes from Manhattan- only to realize that you pay a significant premium for the privilege to be in reality- 10 minutes closer. Which isn't much- even though one can certainly convince themselves it is.

Keep in mind, train station parking is a major issue in both states. Being within walking distance is not always an option, and also severely limits your housing options. Realize that some towns have years long waiting lists to get a parking permit. Also cabs and UBER/LYFT are not what they are in Brooklyn in terms of availability- so don't necessarily assume that is an easy option.

Old 11-13-2022, 08:08 PM

1,186 posts, read 965,482 times
Re: Westchester, you will find a Jewish presence in nearly all of the communities so I don’t think that will be a major blocker. That said, I live in Dobbs Ferry and would not characterize the River Towns as either close knit or especially friendly if you are moving in from “outside” - there’s a definite townie/get off my lawn vibe with some of the locals banding closely together to oppose anything they perceive as changing the “character” of the town (read into that as you wish). Also the towns are barely walkable - car is king and you have to be very cautious to avoid being run down by a distracted or speeding driver. Kids mostly are chauffeured to school via bus or parent’s car, maybe walk if they live super close.

I had similar aspirations when I moved to Westchester but to be honest I think most of the towns are bedroom communities, the best way to meet people here is not going to be your neighbors it by finding people with shared interests, (religious, hobbies, kids of the same age, etc).

Best of luck in your search!

Old 12-31-2022, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,703 times
My husband and I (gay couple, progessive, Jewish) moved to Dobbs Ferry four years ago and couldn't be happier. We have three kids, love the schools and have found it to be incredibly warm and welcoming. We had our choice of three Jewish congregations within a mile of our house, two of which have preschools, all warm and community oriented.

Dobbs Ferry is very walkable - I find myself not using my car for a week sometimes. Within 10 minutes of our house is a drug store, grocery, restaurants, diner, gym, schools, dentist, two neighborhood parks, the Metro North Train, and on and on.

I was worried when we left the city that we wouldn't find anyone we related to in Westchester and while there were definitely times that I felt isolated and disoriented, I found that as I put myself out there and met people I made friends that have become as close as any in my adult life.

It definitely helps to have kids in the Rivertowns. Much of the social life is built around the schools and the community events are very family-friendly. I've become involved in the Dobbs Ferry PTSA and the board of our local library and feel like I have a direct impact on the community my kids are growing up in. Dobbs Ferry truly feels like the best of a small town life with the access to the amazing culture and interesting/educated people that proximity to NYC brings.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:08 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,902,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddym View Post
My husband and I (gay couple, progessive, Jewish) moved to Dobbs Ferry four years ago and couldn't be happier. We have three kids, love the schools and have found it to be incredibly warm and welcoming. We had our choice of three Jewish congregations within a mile of our house, two of which have preschools, all warm and community oriented.

Dobbs Ferry is very walkable - I find myself not using my car for a week sometimes. Within 10 minutes of our house is a drug store, grocery, restaurants, diner, gym, schools, dentist, two neighborhood parks, the Metro North Train, and on and on.

I was worried when we left the city that we wouldn't find anyone we related to in Westchester and while there were definitely times that I felt isolated and disoriented, I found that as I put myself out there and met people I made friends that have become as close as any in my adult life.

It definitely helps to have kids in the Rivertowns. Much of the social life is built around the schools and the community events are very family-friendly. I've become involved in the Dobbs Ferry PTSA and the board of our local library and feel like I have a direct impact on the community my kids are growing up in. Dobbs Ferry truly feels like the best of a small town life with the access to the amazing culture and interesting/educated people that proximity to NYC brings.
Dobbs is great. I would second that motion and also throw Hastings' hat in the ring. You can certainly find a house within the budget you mentioned, the schools are excellent, and the vibe is friendly and chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County