Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 04:52 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,942 times

Advertisements

Besides the good schools and commute to NYC, does anyone actually like living in Westchester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 12:48 PM

269 posts, read 480,898 times
Default I'm sure there are plenty of people that like

living in Westchester.... I'm just not one of them. I'm originally from the Bronx and while it is very urban, it has a small home town feel. Everyone knew each other, a real community. I don't get that feeling in Westchester. Been living on my block for 10 yrs and only know 2 neighbors. People are polite and say hello, but not really interested in being friends. I don't feel any sense of community here. Anyhoo.... that's just my opinion.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:03 PM

33 posts, read 152,846 times
I'm also originally from the Bronx and I absolutely love living in Westchester. I do not live in an area with a strong public school system and I pay a small fortune to send my kids to private school! My neighborhood definitely has the small town feel. Most everyone has a kid that goes or went to the local catholic school, and there is a lot of social activity though the church and local sports, so we get to know our neighbors pretty well.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:20 PM

269 posts, read 480,898 times
Default You are lucky, wish I had that.

I feel for my kids, it is lonely for them. I can make a guess by your screen name what town you are in, probably not too far from me.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:42 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,374 times
Gee, I love living in Westchester! I have a 1700's farmhouse on 4 acres next to a horse farm, on a gorgeous quiet road. It feels like Vermont, but we have a great community with plenty of friends and neighbors and we're close to absolutely everything we could want. After growing up and spending most of my life in "Brownstone Brooklyn," life here seems incredibly rich. Take this weekend, for example--on Saturday we took our son to his ice skating class and then went into Manhattan, did the Natural History Museum, had dinner out. On Sunday we went out for brunch then went to a coffee house for live music and then went for a long walk in the woods, climbed a small mountain and had a snack looking out over the Hudson. We picked up some take out on the way home and ate outside listening to the birds. What's not to like? Sure, my commute to work in Manhattan is about 15 minutes longer each way than when I ived in the city, but I wouldn't dream of giving up what we have now.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:15 PM

178 posts, read 667,490 times
I am a Native New Yorker, Born in Manhattan, lived in both Manhattan and the Bronx.

I have been living in Westchester for the past 24 years. I love it. It is much easier than living in the city. You can have a car and a yard without being a millionaire. You can still enjoy the city as well.

All the best!

Kevin O'Shea

Old 06-03-2008, 12:25 PM

16 posts, read 71,522 times
If You Don't Work In Manhattan You Shouldn't Live In Westchester.
Its Wayyyy Overpriced And Overated!! High Crime And No More Middle Class. Only Super Rich And Super Poor. Middle Class Is Moving North And South To Live With The Hill Billys. Hope This Helps

Old 06-03-2008, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,909 times
I've lived in Westchester for 1 1/2 years now and don't like it at all.

Crappy roads, rude drivers, terrible supermarkets (oh wow, all of 1 Stew Leonards and 1 Whole Foods. What's that? Super Stop & Shop. Don't make me laugh! If that's what you call a "state of the art supermarket" then you really are a local), oh yes, and don't forget the ratty strip malls.

Westchester is totally overated and the stereotype of it coulden't be farther from the truth. No matter, i'm moving out of Westchester in a few months, and yes, I won't miss you die-hards either.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:28 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,942 times
Thanks for your views everyone. I sort of agree with you ShimFLA. Any ideas as to where you are going? Do you or does anyone see a difference between the western part of westchester and the eastern part (on the Sound)? I find the western part, the Rivertowns, very pretty but very uninteresting and unfriendly. I am wondering about the other side. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,374 times
Where do you people live that you are so unhappy? As I said before, life where I live is great--shopping, parks, stores, restaurants, theaters, nature preserves, etc. There's absolutely no crime where I live (we don't even lock our doors!). And I am definitely not "super rich." It's a big county, perhaps you're just in the wrong part?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County