Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:30 AM

100 posts, read 628,915 times

Advertisements

You know the interesting thing is that North White is not part of White Plains.

North White Plains is a hamlet in the town of North Castle. All of the services are North Castle (except for Harrison Water, Valhalla schools) for the most part. Actually it is grouped in with my hamlet (Armonk) but if any of you know these two areas you will know that they are two very different places.

North White train station is located in White Plains...and what is considered the "North White" section of White Plains is nice, residential area.

Also Stamford is nice, but not as nice as White Plains. I imagine stamford to be a little bigger than White Plains. The downtown of Stamford is not as big (I think) but Stamford has some really nice, suburban, peaceful residential areas (Springdale, Turn-of-River, all of this is back country Stamford).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 11:15 PM

20 posts, read 54,429 times
White Plains is a mini-Manhattan and growing more so by the day. The bar scene has exploded in the area and there's a lot of construction going on. Trump is building there which is only going to bring more developers. The mom & pop stores in the middle of town are going to get squeezed out soon enough so only the big chain stores can stay and compete.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:20 AM

15 posts, read 64,327 times
If I were a single person moving to this area looking for a place to live that has easy access to Manhattan, I would look at Yonkers.

If schools are not an issue, you will get a lot of "bang for your buck"

You are only a short train ride away from Grand Central Terminal.

Also, the Riverdale section of the Bronx (directly adjacent to South Yonkers) is also very nice.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:44 PM

142 posts, read 961,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justzack View Post
Hi - can someone guide me on what rents to expect for apartments in different areas of westchester?
Can I believe the rents mentioned on sites like rent dot com?
Would really appreciate if some people who actually rent in this area can provide this information ...

I would be commuting to midtown manhattan ... so would like to stay in a town which is closest ...
I have seen places in NJ, but almost all the better places have 1+ hour commutes to Penn station.

cheers all ...
Try Bronxville PO- actually Yonkers- but walking distance to Bronxville village. Beautiful village- lots of people, restaurants, beautiful homes and buildings- 28 min to GC

Old 10-13-2007, 02:07 PM

45 posts, read 202,220 times
Just moved from rye. The apt are very expensive there. I paid 2100 month for 2 bedroom. Look at scarsdale for cheaper places. Look in local newspaper for apt. or craigslist then you dont have to pay for agent fees. Whiteplains is also cheaper and alot to do there.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:08 PM

45 posts, read 202,220 times
I would stay away from yonkers or bronx not so safe there....lived there also

Old 10-19-2007, 08:55 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
The only thing I can add to this discussion is that White Plains (the part where the Galleria is) is fairly close to both Purchase College, and Manhattanville. I also believe Pace University has a satellite there. So there is a lot of "college town" influence in it.

It has a nice performing arts center where there is always something going on, a few churches with active congregations, and plenty of shopping.

It's an easy commute to Manhattan, though parking really sucks there.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:55 PM

37 posts, read 209,661 times
So how far it White Plaines for Tarrytown...I am from Minnesota ....White Plaines sounds nice enough...but my work would be in Tarrytown...I would'nt want to be too far....

Old 11-06-2007, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 13,347 times
Check out Craigslist or a local shopping rag called the Pennysaver

NYPennysaver Classified Search (broken link)

Don't laugh- I found my apartments and co-op up there.

Speaking of apartments - and I would actually welcome realtor comment on this- why are the apartments in Westchester generally so crappy? No parking, no amenities, "community" laundry facilities (not in college any more, so yuck), no personal outdoor space, and buildings that look like they belong on a military base. When I moved south to Philadelphia, I had no problem finding a building with everything I wanted- outdoor space, plenty of parking, a decent looking complex, and a W/D IN THE UNIT.

Interested in any comments on this.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:05 AM

490 posts, read 1,788,462 times
Default White Plains Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmoreo View Post
White Plains has grown too big too fast for its own good. although prices are not has bad as in NYC there are still new condos at 1.2mil. You can't even get through downtown WP during the day w/o going through local neighborhood streets. Traffice is getting worse. The cost of living is rising. Metered parking is everywhere 24 hrs/day 7 days/week, 365/year. Forget about free parking on the holidays. The 2 malls (Galleria and Westchester) charge for parking. we don't even shop in WP anymore. There are towns like Eastchester and Central Ave that have strip malls that do not charge for parking. Sales tax is less in Eastchester also. Schools are becoming overpopulated and classroom sizes are increasing. There is a large demolition and reconstruction project ready to role on the Post Road School which no doubt will increase our taxes again. It's funny the same people who complain about high taxes keep voting for the things that increase them. Are they for real. There are other places to move in the county that are not as congested, but just as expensive or more expensive. so stay away
____
I am a lover of the city of White Plains (but recently moved out). It think it has more possitives than negatives and I will return one day to live there again. I do agree with the parking issue: When I moved there in 1999, we just had to pay parking until 6 pm-even in the garages. Now is 24/7 in the garages, and depending where you are, meters on the street are paid until 6 pm on more residential areas and till 9 pm on the business area of Mamaroneck Avenue & Main Street. One of the worse things is that you can not leave your car overnight on the street: you will get a ticket for that. But the meter problem affects most to people that drive everywhere. I took advantage of WP being a very walker friendly city. I walked as much as possible and stuck my tongue out to the meters when I passed by. Of course, I lived very near downtown, people living in the border of the city do not have a choice. To anyone interested: A huge revenue for the city is traffic tickets, so watch out for those everywhere but specially on Mamaroneck Avenue! Is a low crime city so cops don't have much to do other than ticket you for anything and everything...another good reasont to walk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County